Osaka-Kyoto

Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:26 AM
Louis

Osaka-Kyoto

Hi, What's the least expensive mean of transportation to get from Osaka(airport) to Kyoto? What will be the $$$$.
From Kyoto to Nara ?
Louis from Canada

Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:55 AM
Florence

From Kaisai airport to Kyoto Sta.(via JR Tennoji &Shin-Osaka sta.): JRL.Exp"Haruka" 75 min 3,490 yen
JR Rapid Train 100 min 1,830 yen
Airport Bus 105 min 2,300 yen

Get the tickets directly at the station inside the airport,next to the TIC, where you will find all the free maps, informations on what's on (don't forget to get a free copy of Kyoto's Visitor Guide - great infos and maps) and help you might require. http://www.jnto.go.jp/english/tips/

Kyoto to Nara: you can use either JR or Kintetsu Nara lines from Kyoto station. Both are convenient and cost approximately Yen 600-700, except the Kintetsu LEX that require a supplement of yen 500 for a reserved seat. Since it is only 50 min to 1 h 15, save the Y 500 for a bowl of Udon noodles on the platform of Nara JR train station ;->. You can visit Nara on foot and by bus from both JR and Kintetsu stations. You might consider staying overnight in one of the inexpensive ryokans in Nara (look at Japanese Inn Group: http://members.aol.com/jinngroup/
Welcome Inns: http://www.itcj.or.jp/index.html)

Enjoy Japan.

Oct 24th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Ricky

Hi Florence,
I'm planning my next trip to Kaisai. Any suggestions of inexpensive ryokans in Nara/others places in kaisai? thanks a lot.

Oct 24th, 2001, 12:35 PM
Florence

Bonjour Ricky,

In Nara, there are at least 2 inexpensive inns than I can recommend : Seikan-so and another whose name escape me at the moment (less than 5000 yen/night/person) listed in the Welcome Inns/Japanese Inns group - see message above for web address). Very basic Japanese accomodation - tatami mats, no room service, rooms relatively small, etc., but clean and well located for sightseeing.

You'll find a lot more in Kyoto for Yen 4000 up, my favorite being Hiraiwa Ryokan. Just next to it, along Takase gawa (Takase canal), is a wonderful little restaurant called Kawa, where the owner welcomes foreigners, although he cannot speak english, and the food is inexpensive as well as plentiful.

If you're can do without room service, large rooms, private baths, but are looking for a glimpse of quiet and traditional life, you'll be happy as a king there.

Enjoy your trip.

Oct 25th, 2001, 05:40 PM
Ricky

Bonjour Florence,
Thanks for your suggestions. That's exactly what I'm looking for : clean, well-located, basic accomodation, no luxury.

Jan 12th, 2002, 09:56 AM
florence

Hi,
Thanks for your info about inns in Nara and Kyoto. I am a middle-aged woman traveling alone by train to Japan in April,2002. I only speak English. Any other suggestions will be appreciated. I will be all over the country wherever the JR goes.

THanks
[email protected]

Jan 12th, 2002, 12:16 PM
Florence

I didn't know I was suffering from multiple personnalities disorder and that one was in need of travel tips for Japan ...

A few tips:
Get a railpass for the length of time you intend to "be all over the country". It might prove better to have two 7 days railpasses than one 14 days so you can alternate one period of heavy travel with one of in depth visit of a particular area. Look at the travel tips of www.jnto.go.jp for an idea of the way railpasses work.

If you plan to go North as well as South of the country, consider flying in Tokyo and out from Osaka.

Don't plan too rigidly since there is nothing more frustrating than learning that you're missing a big festival somewhere because you've reserved trains tickets and an hotel at the other side of the province. In order to avoid this, make sure your first visit is for the TIC (Tourist information center) of the airport, and grab all the maps, informations on what's on, etc, then plan your next destinations.

Make sure you have your hotel/Ryokan booked in advance for the first few nights, then have the next places booked for you by the TIC or the hotel you're staying in. Favor Welcome Inns/Japanese Inn Group members, especially in smaller cities (outside Tokyo/ Kyoto/ Nara/ Hiroshima) since they are used to catering to foreigner, will help you in many ways, one being making reservations to your next destinations for you, and you will meet other travellers with whom you can exchange tips and informations.

Re. language: Bring a guide with a few basic phrases in Japanese characters (you can show the questions and ask that they point at the answer), and a section about reading a menu, have a look at Japanese food internet sites so you won't be surprised or embarassed when ordering in a restaurant: http://www.bento.com/tokyofood.html
http://www.nsknet.or.jp/~chrkaji/yasuko/index_e.html

Until April, you have enough time to learn just the basic survival Japanese you need and practice saying it with a smile: thank you (Arigato, Sumimasen), excuse me (Sumimasen), where's the bathroom (O Te arai wa doko ?), how much is that (sumimasen ga, kore wa, ikura desuka ?), I would like to see/buy this (Kore o kudasai). Just being able to say this will bring a lot of "Jozu desu neh !" (your Japanese is good), a sign of appreciation for your efforts.

Whenever lost or confused, just go to any Japanese lady approximately your age or inside the next shop, show your guide or map and say "sumimasen, ga...". In Tokyo and Kyoto, just looking at your map with a confused look will attract someone willing to help you while practicing their English.