Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Osaka in March - Hints/Tips/Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2001, 11:50 AM
John

Going to Osaka in March of 2002. This will be the first time I've been to Japan. I'm planning on staying for about 10 days, and thought I'd check with more experienced travellers for any travel tips before I go.<BR><BR>Things I'm wondering include:<BR><BR>Where besides Osaka should I go? Kyoto is definitely on the radar.<BR><BR>What is the best way to get a good plane fare? I'll be leaving from and returning to D.C., but I could go out of NYC if it makes a big difference.<BR><BR>I'm going there for culture, food, and architecture (manmade and natural) experiences - would love to hear any advice.<BR><BR><BR>I've travelled 39 of the 50 U.S. states, as well as a good chunk of Western Europe, so I'm not entirely green - just not experienced with Japan. I'm more than willing to trade tips, as well. <BR><BR>Feel free to post here, or email me if you like,<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR><BR>John<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 10:43 AM
navyflyer

Hello, <BR> I too am from the D.C. area and I flew to Osaka three years ago at about the same time you want to travel. I flew to LAX with UA and spent the night there and flew accross the Pacific the next morning on Korean Air via Seoul. It was long but at the time it only cost me $600 and change. <BR>Osaka is rather nice. I stayed at the ANA Gate Tower hotel (the high rise you cannot miss which is near Kansai airport) I spent a day in Kyoto and it was worth while. If you love history, visit the castle in Kyoto and especially the palace with the nightingale floors. The floors are designed to squeak no matter what (Tokugawa's palace) I forget the exact name. <BR> Tokyo is three hours away by Shinkansen (bullet train). It was very affordable. I saw the Imperial Palace in Tokyo thanks to a local friend. I hung out mostly in Roppongyi where most westerners would hang out. I wish I had done more Japanese things but I will be there again someday. On the way up to Tokyo, sit on the left side (port side) of the train. You will see a majestic view of Mt Fuji. Unfortunately I missed that opportunity for I was asleep. I have seen it by flying over it. <BR> Visit the shrine in Miyajima too. <BR>I hope this helps but if you need more detail, drop me a line in the e-mail address provided.<BR> Good luck.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 08:51 PM
Florence

Did you already book a hotel in Osaka ? if not, consider staying either in Kyoto or Nara. Kyoto is much easier to navigate than Osaka and offers an easily accessible glimpse of the "old Japan" that Osaka lacks. <BR>Nara is much smaller and is definitely a must see (the Todaiji with the great Buddah, for example). <BR>Kyoto is a good base for visiting the rest of the area (Nara, lake Biwa and further south).<BR><BR>With only 10 days, I would recommend that you concentrate on the Kansai area, with a 2-3 days trip to Hiroshima (and Miyajima island) and stopovers in Himeji (fantastic castle), Kurashiki (old merchant town full of old houses and "kuras" - traditional warehouses), Okayama and it's garden, and the view over the inland sea.<BR><BR>All this can be done with a JR West railway pass.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 10:33 PM
lcuy

john- Florence's advice is excellent (as always!) Osaka is pretty short on "must see's" and is so close to Kyoto and other truly fabulous towns that it would be a shame not to go. <BR>The beauty of places like Kyoto or nara is that you won't have to look for interesting culture, buildings and food... It would be very hard not to stand on any corner and see something. You should get a copy of "Gateway to Japan", by Kinoshita- a guidebook that has lots of history/architecture/local customs, etc, in addition to festival dates, hotels and restaraunts. Fodor's book is good, but this one has more material to help you learn and appreciate the country.<BR>The rail pass is really the way to go in japan...not only for the money it will save, but having it spares you from having to struggle with the language..you just say your destination at the window and they'll give you a seat ticket!

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 11:57 PM
Florence

A great book on Kyoto for architecture lovers is <BR>"Kyoto, A Contemplative Guide" by G. Mosher (Tuttle, ISBN 0-8048-1294-2). <BR><BR>It is a tour of most of the historical landmarks, commented from the perspective of the role they have played in the history of Kyoto and Japan. A great guide and a fine work of litterature. The only caveat is that the information "on how to get there" is a bit dated (1993).

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:17 PM
Sylvia/florida

John,<BR><BR>I just switched to the Fodor's Asia board because I saw a great rate to Tokyo. I'd be going for Culture & Architecture experience also. I was curious about overall expense when you are there. <BR>The fare $410.00 RT was thru Delta from many cities, by Travelocity. <BR><BR>Sylvia

Old Dec 25th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Clarence

John, Consider this way of travelling. My wife and I flew to Osaka and stayed that first night at a hotel by the train station. Next morning we went to the station to buy are bullet train passes. We were 60 years old and all we had was a backpack on our shoulders.<BR>There is the Island of "Kyushu" just south of the Mainland. For two weeks we followed the coast of Kyushu all the way around in a counterclockwise direction. We would pick a small town (Nagasaki being the first and the biggest of the trip)get off the train and go to the tourist place to find out about local hotels. Everyone we stayed at was clean and nice.(even though most tubs were pretty small) Of course it was too early to check in but they all offered to hold our back packs until check in time. That way we had the whole day or two to walk around and see the sites. The next morning we would do the same thing all over again in another town. In our minds this was the way to see the old Japan. We used their cabs, busses, trolleys and subways with no problems. If we even looked like we were puzzled, and often we were, someone who spoke a little English would show up and go out of their way to help us. Everything was clean and efficient. We never felt safer in our lives. Even when we roamed thru dark streets at night looking for a show or something<BR>There are lots of neat things to do in these smaller towns and it's much cheaper than Tokyo,<BR>Clarence