Oriental Bangkok - Twin Beds?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - Just curious to see if the "twin" beds offered at the Oriental Bangkok are really that small or if it may be worth squeezing two people in one just for the killer river view (and two person v. three person rate)?
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I wouldn't recommend trying to have 3 people stay in a room when you have a reservation for 2 people. They will know and charge you accordingly I'm sure. There may also be a limit as to the number of guests per room by type for a reason (like fire regulation or something). People stay that the Oriental for the comfort and service...why spoil that with trying to cram too many people into a room.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

I'm not accustomed to the idea of "double-occupancy" meaning literally two people rather than four. Sleeping on a "roll-away" isn't exactly my idea of comfort, though, but I guess the view and general ambiance would be worth it.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM

I assume you are from the US or Canada...you will find that in Asia, double occupancy means two people and additional people in the room other than children under age 12 will cost more...even an extra bed for a child usually costs more in many places. If you are a party of 4 adults, you will almost always need two rooms, or a two bedroom suite. If the price of two rooms in a top hotel like the Oriental is too much, you can safely move down a notch and still have lovely accommodation and service in Asia...you can move down many notches and be very happy.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:07 PM

double doubles are not at all common in thailand nor are family rooms...i would not do that in the oriental
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone... I'm going with whatever triple occupancy options at the Oriental I can get.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I would NOT have 3 people in one of their standard rooms.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM
ccc

Gloria, Interesting that you said that. We're a family of 6 and we always stay in 2 rooms. We're going to be in Bangkok twice this summer as we travel in between Burma and Bali. Last summer we stayed at the Peninsula and they upgraded us (through Amex Platinum) to some sort of suite - two rooms w/ a connecting living room - and this worked great for (not to mention the ability of our kids to wear shorts in the evening). We thought about staying at the Oriental for one of our times in Bangkok this summer, but I was afraid of just what you mentioned - that we would be crammed in. The Garden Wing rooms are even smaller than the River Wing, so eveb with the Amex upgrade, it just looked like an uncomfortable situation for the six of us (and paying for two rooms is hard enough - I can't even bear the thought of paying for three!). I know you're a big fan of the Oriental, but given our family size -6- and constraints -2 rooms, not 3- even w/ a potential upgrade, shouldn't we just stay at the Peninsula?
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:05 AM

The garden wing rooms might be fine because there is a separate sitting room downstairs. Their deluxe rooms, executive rooms or suites would also be fine -- actually even better. And since you are going in summer I'm sure you'll ge the upgrade so you should be fine. And it is a much better hotel.