Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Okayama, Kurashiki, Hiroshima and more...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr. Mikeneko gave me the idea to visit Okayama, Kurashiki and Hiroshima from Kyoto. I think that we pick-up it!
Could you give me the name of good / not too expensive (100 / 150 dollars) hotels in these towns?
In Kurashiki I have seen that you have also a modern art museum, is it good to visit?
I am not able to find on the Japan map where the Naoshima island is (Yes, the one with the museum) and how to go there...

Other info: Fukkuoka, is it another good target for our visit? It looks to be a really beautiful town...

Again grazie, best regards.

Gianni P.

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:15 PM

The Granvia Hotel in Hiroshima has nice rooms in your budget. Better would be the Rihga Royal Hiroshima where you might be able to get a twin room for $140 or so.

Fukuoka/Hakata on Kyushu is a fairly large city. An interesting one, for sure. Or are you referring to a town by that name in a different area?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I did a mistake in writing Fukuoka. Yes, the area is the one mentioned in the previous reply to my message.
Is it feasible a 3 / 4 days visit from Kyoto to Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Unzen, Kumamoto, Kagoshima, Beppu region? Ia it a real / good alternative to Okayama etc.?

Thanks again.

Grazie, ciao.
Gianni
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:45 AM

Kyushu is a wonderful place to visit. But that is too much for a 4 day visit because of the travel involved. It can be done but I don't recommend it. You should cut two places from the list.

What interests you in Fukuoka city?

Nagasaki deserves at least a full day. You would spend a day getting there and that night. A day of sightseeing and that night.

I would think that you would need a day to visit Unzen, and perhaps the Shimabara area, and then go on to Kumamoto or Kagoshima for the night.

That's three days so far.

If you went to Kagoshima then you could spend the day there and go to Kumamoto for the night. That's day 4.

Day 5, in Kumamoto you could visit the castle and garden and then go on to Beppu. I recommend the scenic route via Aso (may be the shortest in time too), so you would want to do that during the day which squeezes your time in Kumamoto.

Day 6 in Beppu and on to Fukuoka (or beyond) for the night.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM

That's a 6 day itinerary that could be squeezed into 5, but note that it excludes any significant amount of time in Fukuoka.