Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Off-the-beaten-path in Thailand for 7 days!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! This is my first in the Thailand branch of Fodors and am sure there'll be more to come...always had luck on these forums!

I'm planning a trip with three of my good friends to Thailand in the middle of August for 7 days and had a few questions about our itinerary. Our style of travel isn't too 'typical', and we tend to go for more "off-the-beaten path" suggestions. That said, we'd like to spend about a third of the trip seeing the tourist hotspots (bangkok) but the remainder exploring less known areas of Thailand to really get a sense of the culture and the beauty of the country. Things we like to do are go on backcountry hikes, rent motorcycles and explore various areas, scuba dive, go to areas with mostly locals that won't be turned off by a group of tourists, etc.

That said, here are some of my questions:

1) We'd love to rent motorcycles for a few days and explore the countryside of Thailand. Real roads, dirt roads, anything should fly as long as it's safe for tourists to be going in the areas. Anybody have suggestions here? We've done this in the past in argentina and costa rica and it's been a complete blast.

2) We'd love to spend a night camping in thailand if we can in the backcountry. Are there any accessible places to camp in thailand or is that a bad idea for a group of 4?

3) We’d like to go scuba diving, but not in a crowded / highly commercial area. A coworker suggested Ko Tao is the best place to dive, and also the least touristy of the gulf islands (Ko Samui, Ko Phan-gan, and Ko Tao). Any suggestions from personal experience and what we might find?

4) Any beautiful small cities worth visiting to spend time with the locals that aren't turned off by tourist?

5) Any other fun ideas are always welcome! Also, any tourist destinations you think are worth visiting we're always interested in.

Thanks, that’s all for now =)

Best,
Kevin
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 02:09 AM

seat61.com Thailand from $1 train to the border

for Angkor temple complex largest in Asia

theangkorguide.net amzing cheap exotic beautiful

goldenbanana,info nice safe pretty place to stay.

travel.state.gov review safety issues and quotewright.com

for insurance always wise for me to be safe...
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 02:17 AM

Koh Tao is one of the most popular place to get certified as a diver in Asia Pacific a renowned backpacker destination.Dives are 850 Baht or so each on Koh Tao sometimes less if you bargain well.Remote areas around even cheaper.

happydive.com
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM

richdivers.blogspot.com

they changed the link above somehow try this one...

Happy Travels,
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 06:35 AM

kevin, you have just 7 days but you expect to spend a third of it in bangkok seeing the biggest sites (Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, Wat Po, Wat Arun, Jim Thompson House, etc), then go scuba diving, then spend time riding motorcycles in rural area, then camping, going to small towns, etc.... In three weeks you could do all of that. In 7 days you need to choose what is most important to you.

The Thai people are very warm and welcoming. You comment that you'd like to go to places "with mostly locals that won't be turned off by a group of tourists" depends not on the place, but on your behavior. If you are respectful and interested in interacting, this could describe anywhere in Thailand. I expect, though, that you'd be most interested in northern Thailand. Do note that motorcycle accidents are the leading cause of death in young adults. The roads in Thailand are in pretty good shape, but in the hilly a area can be full of sharp turns and blind corners. Get out your Lonely Planet and look at various areas in the north. Note that you might want to fly to Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai then go from there. Alternatively, you might fly to a much small town and start from there. There is a recent report here of a more off-the beaten path place: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...k-festival.cfm

There are many, many areas of northern Thailand that are well off the tourist track.

There are some lovely wilderness parks. I don't know about camping regulations, but perhaps on the the locals can tell us.

Scuba diving will necessarily be in more touristed areas. Koh Tao has good diving but is well on the tourist track.

I'd say that you have time to do Bangkok and diving or bangkok and northern Thailand, but not all three.

I loved Angkor (as recommended above by qw) but it doesn't sound like what you are looking for this trip. It is also swarmed by tourists.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Camping at the national parks - you can rent tents and equipment
Motorcycle hire for touring is best on the "Mae Hong Song loop" in the north - I assume you are a competent biker?

NB - August is the WET season so both biking and camping will involve getting very wet. I also have noticed that a lot of the tents for hire at the national parks are as about as leakproof as a government department with a controversial policy document.
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 07:32 PM

i agree with kathie---2 places max...

with only 7 days i might spend all 7 in bkk and take a trip or two outside the city..
Old Jul 29th, 2011, 11:22 PM

Khao Yai National Park has some camping facilities and also some NP huts. Reasonable place for wildlife and certainly a place to get away from western tourists (if not Thai weekenders). It is a few hours from Bangkok by bus.

I agree with Khunwilko re Mai Hong Sorn loop from Chiang Mai we did it in a rental car and the scenery and the drive itself are superb. There is little traffic for most of the route and we met a number of Thai motorcycle groups along the way. Plenty of places to get off the beaten track amongst the minority villages etc. That said, I ride a motorbike at home and have done so all around the world (inc Argentina) and Thailand is probably my least favourite place to ride. I have no problem driving a car there but motorcyclist almot seem to be viewed as targets by truck drivers and, as KW points out it is the wet season (i.e. REALLY wet!) not great riding even if you are experienced. bring you own protective gear.

Koh Tao is ok for diving but not the best I have seen but the only real option at that time of year. VERY busy these days and certainly not the place to get away from it all.

In your position with only seven days and adventure stuff being your objective, I think I would head to Laos maybe after a couple of days in Bangkok. There are lots of activities around Luang Prabang. staying in minority villages, canoeing, rock climbing rafting, trekking etc. Easy to arrange yourself in LP or use one of the many tour agents/operator e.g. http://www.greendiscoverylaos.com/ (NB I haven't used these people so it is not a recommendation).

If you really want to get away from it all then there is superb trekking around Muang Sing in the far north but 7 days is just not enough.