Nov 25–Dec 1: To do 6 days in Toyko or Nepal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2023, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a very first-world problem of deciding which of these places to go for 6 days before I head to Jaipur India for a friend's wedding.

No the short time isn't ideal. And I've never been to India so a logical question would be why not just spend the entire time there (I only have 2 weeks total).

But Nepal is calling. I love nature and the images I've seen of Nepal are stunning, I also have a long-held interest in Buddhism and spirituality.

I've been frantically looking at tour options etc and it does feel like it might just bee too short for Nepal, potentially just having to stay in Kathmandu (given distances to go elsewhere, and trek lengths, and altitude adjustment times etc)... not sure if that's worth it

An alternative option has just popped up which is to go to Tokyo. It's less "on the way", but a friend is also flying there... and I understand they have very beautiful gardens, obviously a lot of templates, Zen history etc. In some ways it feels like it'll be a safer option given I'm not the most intrepid journeyman.

But I'm still drawn to Nepal..

I'd love to get views and opinions from those who have visited these places and might have insights given my timeframe
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 05:46 AM

Envy you your trip to Jaipur, and wish I could offer advice on Nepal as it does look stunning. You might try another traveller forum over on tripadvisor to inquire. (Also, wonder if you've watched Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom, which is on Netflix. Filmed in Nepal.) But if interested in Buddhism, Kyoto would be the better choice in Japan. Good luck planning.
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 04:37 PM

A few things to consider- Have you ever traveled in Asia? It can be much more tiring and/or stressful than other countries if you are on a tight schedule.
You will definitely don't want to arrive in Jaipur at the last minute. Planes are often grounded in that region of India due to fog in winter. The groundings are typically Dec through January, but in recent years, November and Feb have had quite a few fog shut downs. On the plus side, it's only an hour or two of flying time from Katmandu to New Delhi.

Kyoto would be my first choice in Japan, but if you have a friend in Tokyo, that could be fun. Four to six days will give you time to do day trips or overnights outside of Tokyo and there are lots of smaller, more traditional towns... Kamakura is nearby, and even Kyoto is only 3 hours by train. In November, you can usually depend on transportation running when scheduled, you are not likely to get any food borne illness.

Actually, if you really want to do Nepal, can you switch and go after the wedding? That way you won't have to worry about missing the wedding!