Northern Thailand-we should we stay?

Sep 9th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Northern Thailand-we should we stay?

We are going to Thailand in December for our honeymoon. We are planning to spend one week in the north. Should we stay half the time in Chiang mai and the other half in Chaing Rai and simply explore the area from there (golden triangle, hill tribes, etc)? Or should we stay in other smaller towns?
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM

Sort of depends on what you like to do? Are you interested in crafts, trekking, shopping, temples, nature? How deluxe do you want to go? Do you want to hang out in a resort?
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gloria,
We definitely want to leave the resort part for the end... in the islands...
As far as the north goes, we want to do more of a nature trip, trekkings, visiting remote villages, etc
Sep 9th, 2004, 12:40 PM

Then I would spend 2-3days in Chiang Mai and the rest of the time in more remote areas -- Chiang Rai, Golden Triangle etc. I also posted some spots that I loved that are more remote a week or so ago which might give you some ideas. Doi Mae Salong may interest you as well as northwest Thailand which has a lot fewer tourists and more remote villages. One thing about doing that, however. If you want to be able to communicate with the villagers you will need a guide of some sort since they do not speak any English.
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! So can we be spontaneous and plan those different trecks once we arrive to chiang mai?
Sep 9th, 2004, 06:52 PM

We are going to Chaing rai in october
2 nights at the legend 3 days on an adventure tour with smiling albinos and 2 nights a the anantara resort and spa in the golden traingle.
If you are going to be in Bangkok skip
Chaing Mai as it is a bigger city.
This appealed to us as we will also spend a week in hong kong. I wanted to see the country side.
Sep 9th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

What is the adventure tour with smiling albinos and how did you find it?