Northern India over Xmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any opinons on Northern India (New Delhi, Agra, Udaipur, etc) over the Xmas/NYE holiday? I hear mixed opinions on the weather. I'm ok with cool nights, but how cold is it really and how bad is the fog? Also given the hotel rates I've seen, while it's clearly high season, it doesn't seem excessively priced. Should I expect India to be extremely crowded during xmas/nye week?
What about Sri Lanka as an alternative? Thanks in advance....this will be my first trip to India, and I'm planning on flying directly to Delhi from HKG.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 08:38 AM

Hi Tansmets. We've traveled in North India during that time of year, and although it was cold, it wasn't horrible. The fog can be bad, but is hard to predict. In my opinion, it adds to the beauty, rather than takes away.
Sri Lanka is also a wonderful destination. We've been there several times and the food, art, architecture, and natural landscapes are simply stunning. But it's completely different from North India, so its difficult to tell you which to choose.
If basing your decision on weather alone, you will probably have a better chance of good weather in Sri Lanka.
Have a great trip!
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:42 PM

this is the best time to visit: nov/dec..

fog can be a problem for flts at delhi.. the new airport may have improved this situation.

i would suggest travel by SUV arranged by a delhi group. i prefer castle and king..

i spent the month of nov there in 2011 and it was never cold, although the indians thought it was.. think 65-75F
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, everyone says the best time to go is Nov - Feb but then complains it's too cold and foggy. Unfortunately we have 3 holidays over Xmas so it's best for us to go that week rather than risk going on a beach holiday and having the resorts full with families.
I think I'll explore Sri Lanka a bit as well during this time. Would you say these places will be *too* crowded over the holidays?
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:31 PM

With summers of 110+ degrees, their perception of "cold" is very different than ours. Bring a couple of sweaters and a mid weight jacket for the evenings and you should be fine. The day time may be very mild and the evenings much cooler. Dressing in layers will be helpful.

Fog tends to be a late December into January problem. The biggest inconvenience is short-notice cancellation/delays of flights and trains because the fog develops quickly. That said, don't drive when it's foggy either.

You will have to plan your itinerary fairly quickly because trains and hotels start booking up quickly because it's also a heavy travel time for Indians too.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:57 PM

We loved Sri Lanka. It's a very different experience than India, despite some of the shared culture. Indeed, a return to Sri Lanka is on our short list for next year, as is another part of India. The cultural triangle in Sri Lanka has a lot to offer. And for relaxation, it's hard to beat a stay in the tea country. There are also lovely beaches, though we didn't stay at a beach.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Kathie, I remember looking at your excellent Sri Lanka reports a few months ago when i was considering going there in early October (Bali won out). I am interested in hiking, the tea plantations, national parks...etc. Do you think 10 days is enough time to go to Kandy, Galle, do a safari for one or two nights? Any thoughts on potential crowds in Sri Lanka over Xmas?

I generally avoid going anywhere over Xmas and I originally planned to travel (northern India) over early December, but I don't want to be in the "cold" in Hong Kong for a long holiday.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM

Hello tansmates,
According to Indian standard it is cold in Dec....sometimes fog is bad...visibility is o for short duration...it goes with time.
Dec gets very busy in North India due to Christmas vacation and winter holidays in India.People are very mobile.......you need to book hotels earlier.
You can do Delhi>Agra>Jaipur>Udaipur>Goa.
Goa is a good place to enjoy New year.
Thanks