Northern India in June

Search

Northern India in June

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern India in June

Traveling with One and Only Son (OOS) to India June 12-28 - Delhi, Jaipur, Amritsar, McCleodGanj, Shimla, Haridwar, Ranikhet, then back to Delhi. It will be hothothot for the first half, cooler for the second half.

Too late to change the itinerary, but strategic advice is welcome!

I miss Dogster SOOOOO much right now!
Old May 27th, 2015, 09:02 PM

Is this a road trip? I'd take a collapsable cooler. You are going to be in the car a lot, and having ice to keep cool drinks and snacks will be nice.

I was in McCleodganj and Shimla in June. It was pretty smoky in areas as they burn the fields this time of year. We were glad to have little white face masks.
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:15 AM

Yeah, Delhi Jaipur & Amritsar would be very hot. So better travel by train on these sectors. There are some good Air conditioned trains on these sectors.
If you are travelling by car than try to leave early around 6-7 AM. Make sure you have a Ice box and Umbrella in the car.

Try to get room on lower floors of hotels. Effective sometimes))
Old May 30th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

We'll be flying or driving with Ramesh Meena, director of Feast India. I trust him with my life! He always has a cooler filled with cold drinks and other snacks.

lcuy, good idea about masks. Delhi has terrible pollution, so might use them there.

pawan, good idea about lower floors - although hotel boast A/C . . .
Old May 30th, 2015, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'although hotel boast A/C "

Make sure they boast (and use) generator also.
Old May 31st, 2015, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

So right, thursdays! Genrators kicked on several times at various hotels during our first trip - and that was in Nov-Dec.
Old May 31st, 2015, 11:54 PM

Spend some time in Mcleodgunj and do not miss the morning Buddhist prayers. Visit the Church of St. john-in-the-wilderness. Some touching obelisks on the walls of this church are telling reminders of the life & times of the British in India. You will see the old Hollywood movie posters at Naorojee's the oldest shop in the Mcleodeganj bazaar.
The Dolls museum at Norbulingka and the Tibetan Institute are interesting.
On the way to Shimla, visit the Kangra Fort which affords great views from the top. Stop over for a night at the Judges Court and visit the heritage-village Paragpur. Carry your coffee & tiffin as there is not much helping on the way either from Dharamsala to Shimla & again from Shimla to Haridwar.
Ranikhet will provide fine views of the Himalayan massif and from there Binsar is a few hours drive (15 miles north of Almora), the views being better here. There are a couple of good accommodations inside the Binsar WL sanctuary. The walks are very interesting, regaled as you will be by our hill birds.
Do not forget to pick up the tweed from the war widows enterprise in Ranikhet! Ranikhet has an interesting bazaar
Happy travels!
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mr. Singh. An old post of yours spurred me to go to McCleodGanj. The Dalai Lama's older brother was a professor at Indiana University in Bloomingtin, IN, where I lived for over forty years. Holiness visited there many times to give teachings and Khalichakras.
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 08:54 PM

Enjoy your travels!
I am sure sonny-baby will carry a lot of stories to tell his friends in school, like we did in those far off young days.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Well, sonny-baby is 39 years old and a father of a five-year-old himself. Looking for quality time together after so many hectic years.
Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 08:30 PM

Never mind! We will substitute the place to recount India stories...let it be the fireplace of his home, over a glass of fine ale, and his dear young son to listen to stories from Mcleodganj!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 05:51 PM

I was there with my OOD in June 2010--most of the same places--during a heat wave!! We survived!
Totally agree with Mr Singh about an overnight stopover at Pragpur at Judge's Court a walk around they small surrounding village of Pragpur. Also nearby=--the village of Garli!! Wonderful old architecture.
In "McLo" as it's called, you can have meal or tea on the terrace of the restaurant at Chonor House, even if you don't stay there. It's across from, and you have a great view of, the Dalai Lama's compound and temples across the road.
And yes, it is worth the 30 min or so drive to down to the Norbulinga Institute--designed by a Japanese gardener, it hs a beautiful tranquil feel, and it's interesting to see the craftspeople/artisans at work.

Shimla: The Mall is great people-watching fun--sort of like an old High Street in an English village, Indian style! Don't miss the Gaiety Theater--you can go inside--and Maria Brothers Bookstore.

Amritsar:Wonderful Golden Temple at night, when the cool marble on your feet , on the walkway around the pool, is a welcome relief from the heat. The next day, you can walk around the temple and see making chapatis for thousands of people--and help if you like. If you go to the Atari-Wagagh border ceremony-- bring something to keep the sun off your head as you sit in the stadium. We had an excellent guide during our two days in Amritsar. His name is Grinder Singh Johal and if interested, I think you can reach him here: www.discoverpunjab.net although i see he is listed on a vetoer site also. He was a great guide, not talking nonstop like some--very good at sensing just the right amount of info to give while answering all questions.

Have a great time, IndianaPearl!
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 09:50 PM

CaliNurse post has inspired me!
At Shimla, the walk from Viceregal Lodge to Barnes Court is especially interesting as pointed out by the poster. Take a local guide who knows the buildings by name. As you arrive at the Christchurch, the road that goes down hill on your left, goes through the Lakkar Bazaar and further down to Auckland & Chapslee. The Old Boy Ratanjit Singh will be in control at the Chapslee. Fix a dinner up for yourselves at Chapslee, with all the old world charm and courtesies and a nineteenth century dining room!
The road to your right, leads you through the native lower Bazaar all the way to the vegetable and dry fruit market. It is here the natives did business while the ridge and the Mall was the sole prerogative of the Brits and the Indian Maharaja.
Enjoy a drink at the Holiday Home Bar with great views of the city well lit up in the evenings. The food is particularly good for a Govt. hotel...the reason being the local bureaucrat enjoys his meals here!!!
A meal of Trout and mashed potatoes at the Spars Lodge (100 yrds. from Cecils) and you will enjoy the finest views of the Shimla valley from their restaurants. The joshis own this place and brew some fine food.
Gaiety Theater will have shows running for it is the month of June and the Shimla glitterati is in town. Ask your hotel of stay to get your entry organised.
A steep, exhausting climb upto the Jakhoo Temple will give you a bird's eye-view of Shimla and surrounding country. The monkeys are a great nuisance so keep the walking stick you have purchased from the Lakkar Bazaar in right ernest.
Maria Bros as mentioned by Calinurse is a good place to talk of old 'Simla'. The Old man has been around since the Brits left. You could pick up a book or two of long-forgotten classics from him, at a premium of course! These were part of the fine libraries the Brit bungalows had and for which the present owners have no use!
All for now and so long!
Old Jun 20th, 2015, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

In MCG right now in throes of a full-throttle Tibetan Buddhist festival with His Holiness giving teachings. Traffic is at a standstill oftentimes, so we are stymied iin our plans.

Hoping for more peaceful surroundings as we move south.

Number One Son is IN LOVE with India!
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 01:24 AM

WOW Indiana!! You are in McLo at a perfect --fi somewhat inconvenient--time. i am jealous!! HH wasnt there when we were. He travels so much--do you realize how lucky you are?!!
Your #1Son has #1 travel taste!!!!
Enjoy there rest of your journey!
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 04:17 AM

Wow...You have covered lot of places in North India within 15 days. However, June may not be the best time to visit Delhi and Jaipur. But, i hope you had lot of fun at the destinations like Ranikhet, Shimla and Mcleodganj.