No Room in Nagoya?

Jan 26th, 2005, 01:28 PM
JWH
Original Poster

No Room in Nagoya?

Hello. My wife and I found what we think is a great deal on American Airlines: Atlanta to Nagoya for $509 ($669 after junk), we have never been to Asia but have always wanted to so we have reserved two seats (we can cancel). We can only go April 4-9 (I'm a teacher). Here is the problem...we can't find any hotel rooms in Nagoya. I think it must be prime time for the Cherry Blossoms. Any suggestions (we want to stay under $250 per night). Thanks!
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:07 PM

Most rooms in Nagoya have been blocked from March through August for Expo 2005. I would suggest phoning hotels directly, and expect to pay rack rates for rooms. One of the only hotels that has realeased rooms at all to the general public is the Nagoya Hilton, and that was just last week. They show availability at 26,500 yen/night for the 6 - 9th. Problem was the 4th and 5th - showing only 80,000 yen/night option. If I try to book April 3 - 9 I get 23,500 yen/night...why don't you book that, then change it later by phone...yes, that's what I would do. It's the combo of April 4 - 9 that is the problem so book the 3 - 9, wait a few days, then phone the hotel directly to change your reservation and specifically say you want to be sure the rate is the same. They are usually very accommodating. Be sure to join Hilton Honors before your stay...one to get the points, but also because you get spouse stays free benefits and you pay the one person rate. You might also want to consider splurging for exec level rooms...free breakfast in the lounge, all day drinks (including wine, beer and cocktails), evening appetizers, pool/fitness center fee waived (you usually have to pay) and great staff. 4/3 - 4/9 exec level is 31,000/night, but you won't be spending 2,000 - 4,000 yen for breakfast each day, evening cocktails...free, exercise...free...worth it to me at least.

Alternatively, stay outside Nagoya. Or see if you can fly into Osaka Kansai airport...plenty of rooms in Osaka...or Tokyo.
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Or you can take the train to Kyoto. We had cheap tickets into Nagoya and did that on a three day weekend.

You take a special bus from the front of the airport to the train station, then a quick train (30 minutes)ride to Kyoto. Much nicer than Nagoya!
Jan 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM

I am looking at the same fares. For me, it's $634 all incl for Washington Dulles to Nagoya. United is offering double miles, plus the MP Exec bonus means it would earn 46,000 miles.

My tentative plan would be to do what lucy suggests: leave Nagoya. Maybe Takayama, Shirakawago, but more likely Tsumago area and/or Kiso Valley.

First time to Asia? Then heading straight for Kyoto is an excellent idea.
Jan 26th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Wow, sweet deal, mrwunrfl! Better than 2 for 1 with those miles!
Lucy
Jan 29th, 2005, 02:46 AM
emd

I just figured out that the reason United is having these promo fares to Nagoya is that the new internatl. airport (Central Japan Internatl. Airport, also apparently called Chuba airport) there is opening on Feb. 17. The currect Nagoya interntal. airport will handle only small airplanes after that.
Helpful info from another forum: No JR trains will operate at Chuba, only Meitetsu trains. The fare to Nagoya station will be 850 yen, takes 30 min. Meitetsu Airport line started operation yesterday.
http://www.meitsu.co.jp/index2.html
Since no JR trains operate there, I wonder if they will have an exchange office at the airport so you can at least exchange your JR pass when you arrive. Maybe not, maybe will have to do it at Nagoya station or Shin-Nagoya.
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:02 AM
emd

Although we have a trip booked on FF awards from March 12 til March 26, my consulting work has really slowed down and I am thinking of going back to Japan by myself from mid to late April on these cheap fares. I must be nuts. I'd need to start planning the second trip now.
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:21 AM

emd, you had enough planning done for a second trip back in June. Makes sense to take leisure travel when business is slow. Still, you could be nuts, we just don't have all the info (might have to take your word for it if you keep insisting!).

Best routing for us is IAD-SFO-NGO. I searched a couple of dates for WAS-NGO at united.com. For some dates, for departures from IAD or DCA, the only routing available was via ORD. But, BWI-SFO-NGO was available.

Webflyer.com says this is 15,380 miles roundtrip (would have to have different flight numbers for the two segments each way to get full mileage credit). With the promo bonus that's 30,760 miles. Being Premier Exec makes it triple miles, just over 46,000.

Thanks for the good info about the train at CJIA. I would be my left arm that there would be no JR office at the airport. JR Pass exchange is available at at JR Nagoya eki for sure (there is no Shin-Nagoya). The JR webpage says that the "Exchange Corner" at Nagoya station is open 10AM to 6PM. Scheduled arrival for the United flight from SFO is 4:20 PM. Probably could make it to Nagoya station a half hour before the exchange office closes.

Funny: The translated Meitetsu webpage refers to "cent rare" for Centrair, the nifty name of the Central Japan International Airport. I found a schedule at that site for transport between "Chubu International Airport" and Okazaki station, but that must be the old airport.
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:26 AM

I would "bet" my left arm. If you see a schedule, or train frequency, between the new aiport and the station, please let me know. Am seriously considering taking the trip but have to decide between cherry blossoms and better timing in May. I wouldn't need a JR Pass.
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:49 AM
emd

You don't want to be your left arm? Good name for sequel to that movie, my left foot.

I know United is your preferred airline, but just want to be sure you know that American has these same promo rates and they fly Dulles to Chicago to Nagoya. I checked earlier this a.m. for mid to late April and got $604 fare for that routing.

I don't think I am nuts really. Hopefully just a slow work period, but some (DH perhaps, damn that MBA in finance) would say it's nuts to spend the $$ when one has less than usual immediate income. I choose to be more optomistic.

Just looking at the map now- Nagoya is so centrally located. I could get to Takayama, Kanazawa, then to Hokkaido or Shikoku. I really wanted the second trip to be to the other islands.
Jan 29th, 2005, 04:52 AM
emd

oh, i see now it was IAD - SFO- NGO you wanted. nevermind.
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:36 AM

If AA had double miles, I would consider it. Wouldn't mind a one-stop via ORD. But with elite status on UA, I'd be in Economy plus and earning triple miles on United. I'm not at all nervous about UA's situation (ok, maybe a bit).

You could, of course, get the special air fares for visitors. You could get a nonstop from Nagoya to Sapporo and a nonstop from Sapporo to Hiroshima (and then over to Shikoku) or one-stop to Matsuyama or other Shikoku place. Go across Shikoku to Naruto to Awaji island ... to Nagoya. I've read about a boat between Kansai airport and Awaji-jima, so that would be another route.
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:02 AM
emd

Thanks very much for that info- it's a great start. Yes, I am already looking into the domestic deals for ANA and JAL. Just when I thought I was done w/planning and could rest the next 6 wks and just wait to pack- ha- now I get the enjoyment of discovering new routes all over again. Travel life is darned good right now.
Jan 29th, 2005, 06:51 AM

If you don't mind staying at a business hotel, there are plenty of free rooms at Toyoko Inn in any of their 5 properties in Nagoya. Go to http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/ for online booking. Rate is around 8,600 yen per double room.
Jan 29th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the link, Alec, I think I will use it.

I bought the ticket tonight (funding provided by a filly named Sweet Lips). Leaving May 19 and return on May 30, one stop in each direction IAD-SFO-NGO for $629.51, tax included. I mis-read the bonus offer, so it will actually earn about 41,600 miles.
Jan 30th, 2005, 03:32 AM
emd

SCORE!!

I think perhaps I need to get more seriously interested in horses. I need something in my pocket to burn.

BTW- I tried early May dates and the rates went up to $1200. So now I will try later May also- thanks for the tip.
Jan 30th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Just letting you know for those going to the expo in Nagoya, that if you have trouble finding a place and you are in desparate need of a place to crash for a night or two,you can contact me at [email protected] and I might be able to accomodate you at a reasonable price. Meals and help getting to expo provided.
Jan 31st, 2005, 01:05 PM
emd

and for those of us who just have not been able to convince our significant others that we really need to take advantage of these spring sale fares in spite of the fact that we are already going to Japan this year, I wanted to let you know that although United's fares end tonight at midnight, American has extended theirs til Feb 18.
Jan 31st, 2005, 01:49 PM

United's Introducing Nagoya, Japan sale is now good through February 28.
Jan 31st, 2005, 02:33 PM
emd

mrwunrfl, you made my day. Perfect. I will ask for this as a Valentine's Day present then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO