New Resort - "The Seminyak"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It apparently soft opened this summer...has anyone passed by/stayed very recently?

Currently musing b/w it and The Royal Beach Seminyak (for New Years)...inclined to try out the newer property, unless it's a bit too quiet/dead b/c it's so new. My boyfriend and I are looking for a friendly/social (but not raucous) atmosphere.

Thanks in advance!
(I always wish I could contribute more for all I get from this forum...but the NYC experts are always faster/better than me! That said, any NYC questions, I'm here to help!)
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:35 PM

The Seminyak is the second coming of Resor Seminyak, an older property that’s been completely refurbished and mostly rebuilt. I haven’t been in the rooms yet but I’ve looked the place over from the ground floor. The architecture and design is fairly pedestrian; they seem to be trying to please everyone and some parts like the wedding chapel and pool statuary are to me over the top. The plus is that it’s right on an excellent beach with easy access to everything Seminyak offers. One criticism that I heard was that the villas face the beach and the restaurant faces the back of the villas.

The Royal Beach Seminyak is also an older property (used to be the Sofitel and something else before that). This resort is a longtime favorite with Europeans and has a sophisticated lively ambience. Design is not especially notable, but not offensive either. Rooms are simple but nice. Two pools and very pretty grounds, but unfortunately the Anatara was built way too close. Also a very good beach but I’d give the beach area at the Resort Semiyak a slight edge.

For New Year’s I’d think that the Royal Beach would have a better party. In either case, I’d actually suggest getting out of your hotel for New Years Eve. All the restaurants in Seminyak will be having parties. In addition to KuDeTa, look at New Year’s parties at La Lucciola, Metis, Sardine, Sip Sunset Grill, Potato Head, Sarong. (I think the practice of forcing resort guests to pay for the NYE party whether they want to attend or not is terrible. If that’s the case you should stay somewhere else.)

My favorite on the beach in Seminyak is still the Legian. I'm sure it's pricy at the holidays, but it's worth it. I'm a New Year's avoider, but from what I could tell the party at the Legian was lively (though also quite pricy).

I also like the Samaya but not sure when the construction will be complete. I wasn’t impressed by the W. If near but not right on the beach works for you, look at the many many villas that are within walking distance of the beach.

[OK, since you offered, here's a NYC question for you. My 20 something son is due to fly from India into Newark early Monday morning. With everything that's going on with Irene would should he delay his flight?]
Old Aug 25th, 2011, 03:56 PM

by monday things should be finished in newark
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

thank you, marmot. thorough and insightful - very helpful!
we went ahead and booked the seminyak. 1) it was less expensive and we figure these lower prices before it's built up it's reputation is our chance to stay at such a nice place. 2) if it's a bit too quiet, we just walk over to kudeta, bar at the rbs, etc. so many places were fully booked for NYE, we're thinking the seminyak will likely get some more traffic and the entire area will be packed.

my as yet unplanned plan for nye is to go to a lounge-restaurant-etc type place. there was no mention of a charge for nye party during booking - though we did it via agoda - so i hope that won't be an issue. (would have loved to try the legian, but it was significantly out of our price range.)

now our accommodations are settled - on to planning activities, eating, etc!

re: NYC question - i am not so familiar with the newark airport...but from what the news reported last night, the storm should really begin for us late sat night-overnight sun morning. there are certain advance evacuations being made and all kinds of cancellations/warnings. eg, amtrak cancelled service in the area; the NYC public transit system was warning that there may not be any subway service for a couple of days. while the weather may be clear by monday, i imagine the airports will be a bit crazy catching up from all of the cancellations that will occur now-monday. local news said last night airlines were waiving flight change fees for travel during this time. if plans are flexible and this is pleasure travel with limited time, i might re-schedule so that i can enjoy my trip w/o the potential delays, difficulty traveling around and sightseeing, etc. if time is not so precious (eg, staying for a long time/open ended stay) or there are other obligations, i'd stick with the itinerary but be prepared for crowded planes, possible delay, etc. safe travels to him!
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 08:22 AM

thorough and insightful - very helpful! we went ahead and booked the seminyak
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM

I'm sure the "location, location, location" dictum will serve you well. I'd look at Hu'u, Metis or Sarong for an energetic, sophisticated NYE. I'd stay off the streets in the center of Seminyak, though. In the past two years areas like Double 6 have been beyond zoo-like.

Thanks for the New York advice. (And you too rhk). My son is actually trying to get home to Manhattan. Hard to say what will happen in the next few days, but I've advised him to stay in India until the picture is clearer.

Stay safe and dry
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

good luck to your son, marmot. the airports are now closing (sat a.m.) to arriving flights and the energy supply co. may pre-emptively turn off power downtown. the mayor announced this morning "you can plan on the possibility of no power downtown." i went to the farmers' market this morning (in brooklyn, very close to manhattan) and it was packed, everyone is stocking up to settle in. things are shutting down and i expect that while weather will be clear on monday, the airports will be a madhouse. fingers crossed for him. thank you again for all the advice (energetic and sophisticated is ideal for NYE, so we'll definitely check our your recommendations.)
Old Aug 27th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

ps - not sure if i can post links...but NYT has fairly good updates for the storm and local perspectives...most arrivals are cancelled at airports...
live blog -
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...icane-irene-2/
and nyc advisories -
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-need-to-know/