Search

New Hotel in Luang Prabang

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Hotel in Luang Prabang

Hi Guys,

Just got back from Luang Prabang and wanted to let you know about a new hotel there - The Chang Heritage Hotel. It's not big but they have 3 separate hotels or inns scattered around a 1 block area. The Chang Inn is the smallest with the small rooms and it's next to the art gallery of the 3 Nagas hotel on the main road. The Chang Heritage, where we stayed, is right on the road fronting the Khan river and if you know Luang Prabang it’s 1 block east of the Apsara guest house.

The location is perfect being in a very quiet area of town and with their restaurants and bar on the bank of the Khan river as well. The rooms are sort of a Thai style with everything in wood making it rather dark in there but kind of cozy. Lots of antiques used as decoration as the owner is an antique dealer from Thailand. We stayed in the second floor “Khan Suite” which had a nice balcony overlooking the river. Our room was not very big for a suite but it was big enough for an extra bed. Sheets and pillows are from Jim Thompson with cable TV from Thailand with the usual movie and news channels. Free wi-fi throughout the hotel but we could not get a good enough signal in our room and had to used our computer on the balcony instead. The A/C is big and should cool the room nicely in the summer months but we did not use it and in fact we wanted a heater instead as the temperature dropped sharply at night and reach around 6 – 7 C by early morning. The morning alms giving to the monks was arrange by our hotel and they used the Chang Inn as the location for this – perfect first hotel on the monk’s route!

We were going to stayed at the Alila 3 Nagas but could not justify the price they were asking for it. The Chang Heritage is only a block away in a nicer location IMO and after looking at the rooms at the 3 Nagas we are happy that we chosed this the Chang Heritage instead. We also walked by the Ramayana Boutique hotel that was mentioned on Fodors a few time and agreed with the review it got on TA – VERY, VERY noisy part of the town! The Ramayana is on a corner of 2 sub street(sois) right in the centre of the morning market as well as being next to a temple with priest banging their drums very early in the morning and at night there’s a night market right in front. Looked at the La Residence Phou Vou as well and if you want a quite resort with a great view then this is the place but we prefer to be in town with nice easy walks.

The Chang group will have a new hotel next to the Chang Heritage by mid April and this unit will be all suite with a huge presidential suite in it. I’m not sure what they are going to call it but it will be next door to the Chang Heritage. There were a few dislikes with the Chang Heritage like the very basic breakfast offered with the room and the rather dark interior but overall we really enjoyed our stay there. The service was very good and the complimentary pickup at the airport by their classic Mercedes was a nice touch. I will post pictures later but for now here’s the hotel web site - http://www.the-chang.com/
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the report and by any chance, did you see the Villa Maly hotel? It's fairly new and where I'm staying next month.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the report, Hanuman. It's so often hard to find a hotel in LP because they are all full. This is another option.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

moremiles,

No I didn't see the Villa Malay. LP was pretty quiet when I was there and the flights were less than 1/2 full.

Have fun in LP!
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:22 PM

thanks for the info pook....it looks quite nice, but i can see the darkness you refer to...
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM

Pook on the prowl. A sight to behold. Thanks for the hotel review. LP is changing so much.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Here's the link to the photo of the hotels and Luang Prabang. I haven't added all the photos yet but it should give you an idea. Look in the "Luang Prabang" gallery.

http://khun-pook.smugmug.com/
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM

Thanks for sharing your photos. They brought back many lovely memories of our time in LP. It looks like you all really loved the waterfalls!
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Glad you like them Kathie. Still can't beleive how much prices are going up or have gone up in LP! 3 Nagas went from around $80 a night to $200++ in a period of 1 year.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM

I was shocked at prices too. This new hotel I'm staying in is close to $200 a night also.

villa-maly.com
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

moremiles,

I was able to get a good discount by calling the hotel directly and in my case the hotel had their main office in Bangkok which made life a bit easier. Apart from a lower rate we got a bit of extras included as well like the limo services from and to the airport plus the daily morning alms. Even the 3 Nagas reduced their prices a bit when I call but only very little so we didn't bother. Kathie was telling me what she paid for the La Residence Phou Vao a few years ago and the prices have gone up 3 fold since then.

If you haven't prepaid anything I would definitely call them as it could save you a lot of money.

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 04:38 PM

Yes, we paid US$125 per night including tax, service, and breakfast at the Phou Vao. Of course, that was 2002... and everything has gone up since then, but not three-fold!
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM

these prices are outrageous....

i think i paid $107 for la residence, then still a pansea, but it was low season...