Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific with toddlers - bulkhead or regular row?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying from San Francisco to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific next week. I am sitting in economy class with my twin girls who are 16 months old. My mother is traveling with us as well, but she will be in business class. My question is: Should I get three seats in the bulkhead row in hopes that the girls will be able to play in the floor area during the flight, even though the arm rests do not go up? Or should I get three seats in a regular row where the arm rests can be lifted, even though there will be no floor space to speak of?

The bulkhead seats seemed attractive because I have heard that some airlines allow kids to sit on the floor during the flight and even lie down and sleep on the floor. However I have heard that Cathay Pacific is not that permissive, and that they require kids to have their seat belts on (whether they are sitting in the seat or lying down across the seats). So now I don't know what to do. Any thoughts or war stories would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 07:42 PM

i think the better you can keep them in their seats the safer and better all around....a row on one side might work best for this... why not take their car seats??

i can't imagine an airline allowing them to lie on the floor...its best to have seat belts on...
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 09:12 PM

When our girls were small, we cunningly arranged the bulkhead seats thinking we would enjoy the extra space for our gear and more opportunity for the girls to stand up etc.

What we did not consider was that the carryon bags had to be stored in the overhead bins during takeoff and landing so it was more inconvenient than a regular seat. Also, it is safest to remain buckled up during air travel, for children or adults.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM

I found that my daughter was much more comfortable in her carseat on flights, so much so that when she outgrew it and could no longer use it on the plane she cried and complained. We made more than 20 long haul trips before that happened...exactly one of them was without a carseat. Plus the carseat is safer than just the plane's lapbelt which won't fit them. I'd strongly caution against letting them play on the floor...dirty for one, and turbulence over the Pacific can be sudden and strong. Unrestrained passengers can and are injured during turbulence from time to time, so it is always best for everyone to be buckled when seated. Plus, your kids at only 18 months will probably be rear-facing, just like in the car, as I doubt they are over 30 pounds yet. Rear-facing is safest on the plane, too. You can rest the top of the carseat against the seat in front of you, take advantage of the bulkhead position so no one is in front of you. The carseats can not go in an aisle seat.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 01:34 PM

I find it difficult to believe that you would want to strap your kids into a seat facing car seat for 14 hours, would you do that in car?

I use the straps provided and the additional belts that attach to your own belt

I travel a lot from Europe to Australia in the past with children younger and older than yours and I would recommend using the airlines entertainment system and if you have any favourite dvd's then get a cheap personal player

Safety is important but you got to be realistic, for health reasons people can't be immobile for 14 hours. What about traveling in a cab, the MTR or buses, these are far more dangerous statistically than flying

Geordie
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 02:16 PM

There are no belly belts attached to adult seat belts on planes departing the US . Banned by FAA. Strapped in for 14 hours, no. Of course occasionally get up. But an appropriately sized seat is more comfortable. Airline seats aren't comfortable for many. The majority of miserable children I've seen on flights are lap babies, closely followed by those without a car seat but using their one plane seat. The carseat is usually accepted as the place kids sit when traveling and is familiar. As they are accustomed to it being used in the car and being non-negotiable it shouldn't be an issue on the plane. The better seats, like Britax, are very comfortable. Cheap ones lacking padding, not so much.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM

16 month old babies are going to want to be out of their car seat and play. I agree that I wouldn't let them sleep on the floor, but it's kind of ridiculous to think that 16 month olds would be sitting in a car seat for most of 14 hours. I would try to get bulkhead so that no one leans back into your face. Bring lots of little new toys, and lots of interesting snacks. If it were my mom, unless she had a physical ailment that meant she had to sit in business, I would be VERY ticked off that she wasn't going to be with me helping me out!
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 03:03 PM

Birdie, your point about them wanting to play is one reason carseats are a good I'dea. By 18 months they already know it is.not negotiable, so it is not an issue to sit. No carseat is a lot tougher to deal with. Plus with only mom and two kids you want the easiest trip possible.
Old Oct 20th, 2010, 03:18 PM

I was recently on a 15hr flight & nearby there was a little girl who was a bit over 2yrs. She had her car seat (forward facing)& I have to admit it struck me just how comfortable she looked on the flight. It was a night flight & she fell asleep about an hour into the flight & she looked so much more comfy than the kids slumped in the "big" seats. When she woke her Mum took her for a stroll around the cabin got her back in her seat turned on a movie & pretty soon she would be sleeping again for a couple of hours. Towards the end of the flight she was done with sleeping for the last 5 - 6 hrs but was happy sitting in her seat playing games & then going for walks. There is no airline that will allow your child to sleep on the floor it is not safe.
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who responded. We made it back from Asia last night, and we are only a little worse for the wear. I ended up getting 3 seats in a regular row so we could lift the armrests. I brought one carseat as suggested and it was a lifesaver. I was able to get one girl to sleep in the carseat, and the other one to sleep while lying across my lap and into the adjoining seat (so I was glad I could lift the armrest!). My mother did come and take one girl with her into Business Class for a while so I ended up getting some rest too. (My mother has serious back problems which is why she could not sit in economy with us.) The Cathay Pacific flight attendants were extremely helpful and I would not hesitate to fly them again with children.

Thank you again for all your help -- I am very grateful!