Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need help in planning 7 days in Thailand!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

My name is Tiffany. I am from Canada and am currently teaching English in Tokyo. I am meeting my parents in Thailand this May and I would love some help from people who have been to Thailand before!

We arrive in Bankok and we want to see some hot spots but avoid crazy touristy areas. I really want to experince real Thai culture and do some sightseeing, see some nice architectural places, maybe ride an elephant and also spend some time snorkeling and relaxing on the beach.

I have heard Chang Mai is nice for sightseeing, but am open to any and all suggestions! We will be there in May, so the hot season, and I don't know which beach is the best to visit. My parents have been told it's better to book hotels/tours beforehand but I have heard it's must cheaper to do that once we arrive in Thaliand. My parents just feel anxious about getting ripped off once we get there or not having a place to stay.

I also don't want to spend out whole trip traveling so I only want to go to maybe 2 places and would love some suggetsions on must see spots!

Thank you in advance for reading my email....I look forward to your reply
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Hi Tiffany! Too bad you don't have more time! We returned today from 17 nights in Thailand and 4 in Cambodia and we could have doubled our time!

Bangkok is VERY hot, even in Feb., so I can't imagine it in May. I would stay near the river in Bangkok for 3-4 nights and then choose between either Chiang Mai or a beach area for 3-4 nights. We did both and loved both but you won't have time to do all three at a leisurely pace.

We stayed at the Center Pointe Silom and loved everything about it! We had a one bedroom apartment that was HUGE! They can put a roll away single bed in the livingroom so you can all stay in the same place.

I will post a trip report in a few days so be on the lookout for it!

Cheers!

Tamara
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:42 PM

I think it's likely that your friends have told you about backpacker type hotels that are easy to find upon arrival...they are a place to sleep. Your parents, on the other hand, may not be much interested in staying in such a young atmosphere and might prefer a few creature comforts, in which case a reservation assures you get what you want and you know where you will be staying. Before having a child, we were the figure it out when you get there kind of travellers, but our daughter changed all that...now we have reservations. I have to say, there are good things about both styles. No reservations, no credit cards on file, means that you really are free to go anywhere on a whim. You can check the place out up close and personal before deciding to stay there, which is absolutely necessary in the low end places. On the other hand, we now really enjoy searching for the perfect place to stay for our family, and also can really relax into our holiday when we have no worries about where we are staying.

May will be really hot...you are going for Golden Week?...get your tickets now. I'd suggest going north, though I'm sure being from Japan where the beaches are terrible, you'll want some beach time too. If you fly directly to Chiang Mai from Tokyo, you'll save some time there. You can also fly directly from Chiang Mai to Phuket, which could be your beach. Then you can fly directly from Phuket to Tokyo. You'd request a circle ticket, NRT - CNX- HKT - NRT.

Of course, now I see you are arriving in BKK. You can fly anywhere easily from BKK.

As to what to see, a good guidebook should be your first or second stop. Reading the posts here should be your other first or second stop. There is a vast amount of Thailand information right here on this board, from hotels and drivers, restaurants, temples, tours, cooking classes, elephant camp...you name it, it's been talked about here. So camp out with your computer for a while and browse around Fodors.

You will love Thailand. It's totally different from Tokyo.

Start browsing hotels on www.sawadee.com . In Bangkok, the riverside hotels are favorites of many here.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM

While it's wise to book hotels ahead, don't book tours ahead, Once you get there you can decide if you want any tours (you might not). Tours will be about half the price if you book in country. Hotels, on the other hand, you can get good prices on by booking ahead on internet sites. A good one for Thailand is www.sawasdee.com Always read cancellation policies carefully before booking. Also note that it's almost always a better deal to book at a site that includes tax and service in the price (totals 17%). Sawasdee prices include tax, service and breakfast.

Choose two locations for your 7 days. Bangkok is a fabulous city, lots and lots to do and see. Staying near the river will give you a better feel for the place, and will enabe you to use water taxis to some of the main sights. Choose either someplace in the north (Chaing Mai or Chaing Rai or Mae Hong Son) or a beach area for the rest of your time.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:07 PM

BKK is a fascinating city, you'll certainly get a taste of Thai architecture & real Thai culture. As it's hot season and you have expressed a desire for beach & snorkeling I'd suggest forgetting the North and doing BKK & a beach place - Koh Samui is great in May. The beaches are good, there's a variety of accommodation, you can ride elephants, do island trips, explore the interior, or just chill out on a beach with a good book. If you split your week bwteen 3 regions you'll only have a couple of days in each and will barely scratch the surface: 3 days BKK & 4 days Samui would be my choice.
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:14 AM

TexasSlim gave you good advice. But I'd do Bangkok 4 and Samui 3... just my own opinion. Bangkok has so much to offer, you should not cut it too short.

As for interacting with the Thais, they are the most wonderful and kind people. They are friendly, non-confrontational, and polite. We have made many special friends there, after numerous trips to BKK.

May will be very hot. I would not try to go to Chiang Mai at that time. BKK will be hot enough...!! CM can be even hotter.

Carol
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:25 AM

Hi Tiffany, I'm a fellow Cdn as well. We did a 7-day trip to Thailand two years ago at the end of Apr - 3 days BKK and 4 days Samui, and it was perfect. It's very very hot there that time of year. We certainly didn't have enough time in BKK to see everything, but given the heat and humidity, we were happy to be going to the beach after 3 days. We're going back to BKK again in 3 weeks for another 3 days, but this time going to Krabi afterwards. You'll love it there.
Old Feb 28th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for all your replies, it is so helpful! I agree that due to the timing, it's probably best to skip the north (I'll have to keep that for another trip). We will probably spend a couple days in Bankok and most likely Sumui. Any other beaches any of you experts reccommend as best in May?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:32 AM

Hi Tiffany,

We did Golden Week in Thailand last year. It was a wonderful time, and the kind of trip that I think you and your parents will really like.

First bit of advice re: travel from Japan... if at all possible, leave on Thursday or earlier! Otherwise, flight costs double & the crowds are unbearable.

We spent 3 days in Bangkok, but would have been happy with 2. I mean, it is an incredible city, but you already live in an incredible city! So see the 'different' things - the major temples, take a boat on the river, visit the Royal Barge Museum. Then head south! A bit of advice - it is going to be really hot, so think early starts, afternoon at the pool or nap, out in the evenings!

We flew direct from Bangkok to Phuket, spent the last 5 days at Sheraton Laguna Hotel. Since this was just 5 months after the tsunami, most beaches were pretty beat up, but the lagoon protected the Laguna resorts, and they were in great shape. Relaxing, private beach, fabulous spa, nice restaurants, great service... there are several Laguna hotels to choose from in different price ranges/styles, and they are all connected by both lagoon boat & a resort bus. The concierge at the hotel booked us on some great tours, and so we spent 1 full day snorkeling, half day elephant ride, & went to Phuket Adventures - very touristy, but in a fun way. We rented a car through the hotel ($35US for the day) and drove to check out some of the other beaches, so we have pics of the damage done. Glad we stayed where we did, though there were signs everywhere of rebuilding & I'm sure it looks totally different today. And of course, we went shopping everywhere.

One more thing, if you are in Bangkok on a weekend, be sure to check out the weekend market. Great buys on anything you could ever want. A really nice change after the over-priced world of Tokyo!

Have a great trip!
Stephanie
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help, I am so excited for our trip!

Mitmap, where did you stay in Bankok and Koh Samui??? Just looking for hotel information.

Thank you!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for helping us plan our trip. We had an amazing time. If anyone is interested in Bangkok please look up my review on Tong.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM

a good hotel site is: www.huahin.20m.com

the rates are based on pre-pays so be sure before you book./..

the rate includes the 17.7% service/tax and often breakfast
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:27 PM

my preferred hotel is the marriott resort and spa on the river....