Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

How hot and or humid are Tokyo/ Kyoto in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're trying to fit a trip with our grandaughter around her schedule & our own and the only window of opportunity for us all is in early July 5-14th. If we are really going to roast I guess we could hold off and go next year around the latter part of May. Any suggestion?
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 09:26 PM
mjs

It will likely be very hot and humid during that time with some probability of rain. Slight possibility of a typhoon as well. July and August would be my least favorite time to go to Japan.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:50 PM

It will be very hot and humid.. I'd wait for May.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information about July weather in Japan. I know my grandaughter has her heart set on going there right away this summer; but perhaps your posts will be helpful in pursuading her to postpone our trip until next year.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 04:13 AM

We did a summer trip for 17 days or so in late July to early August a few years ago with a family group that ranged from 10 to 78 years old. No question, it was hot and humid. We adjusted to the heat quite well, all of us. There are vending machines everywhere and we must of drank hundreds of water bottles, but once you are there, you really aren't that aware of the heat since you are having so much fun exploring.

The key is to just have one place a day that you want to really see and leave the rest of day and evening just to roam without planning near your hotel or where ever. That way, you are just having fun casually exploring Japan and seeing the beauty of ordinary Japan which I appreciate the most.

Tsutomu
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:59 AM

The rainy season in Tokyo/Kyoto is mid-June to mid-July. Some years it's very rainy, some not. It will be pretty hot and humid for sure. Actually it gets much more humid after mid-July. There are some advantages to the rainy season - not so many tourists and some beautiful rainy season flowers.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 05:30 PM

I spent last July in Tokyo. It was not that bad. I would definitely go this coming year. Just dress for the hot weather, and you'll be fine. I found Tampa's weather in August to be much much worse that July in Tokyo.