Narita Airport to Ikebukuro station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if someone can help me work out the best way for a family of 4 to get from the airport to the Crowne Plaza hotel in Ikebukoro.

I read that the Narita Express goes to Ikebukoro, but the map shows it going to Tokyo station.

And is there a reasonably cheap alternative? The Narita Express seems to cost about $34/person. I don't mind it taking a few minutes longer if there is a substantially cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 01:41 PM

Check http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/ for access information. Also www.hyperdia.com will give you train schedules and prices.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Kim, that's my problem. There seem to be so many choices, and no clear answers. For example the Keisie express has 3 different charges, and it is not clear what a connection to Ikebukoro costs from Ueno.

Sounds I should just take the most expensive option, which is the Narita express. This map shows it goes to Ikebukoro....
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:07 PM

On hyperdia.com, the chart at the top of your results shows the total money required and the number of changes. The Narita Express goes to Ikebukuro, with no change of train, 1 hour and 25 minutes, price of 3110 yen.

Keisei is 2080 yen, takes and hour and 30 minutes, and involves one change of train.

The train pricing works like this.
There is a basic charge for the distance you travel. Then, there is a supplemental charge for faster trains...the faster trains means more expensive. Then, there is a nominal charge for seat reservations, between 500 and 800 yen about, depending on the distance and if you change trains and need more than one seat reservation. In hyperdia.com, you can select reserved or non-reserved to see the nominal price difference. There is no way to get out of paying the supplement charge unless you take the local train, which will take tons of time as it will stop at every single station.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I forgot to include how the fares are divided. Scroll down to see the exact routing. You'll see fare in the left column, divided into each fare between station. The next column lists the charge, which is the supplemental charge for speed, and also includes seat reservation if you selected it or if reservations are mandatory. Click on the picture of the train in the info column and get the exact routing in a timetable form. Click on timetable and get all the possible trains in a day (too much info I think, just stick with a block of time).
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:57 PM

may I suggest using the Airport Limousine Bus Service. They go to the Ikebukoro area. I took it to the Shijukyu area 3/6 and the fare was 30,000 yen per person. Took about 90 minutes to Shinjuku. Very comfortable and pleasant ride.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 04:58 PM

oops that should have read 3,000 yen per person in the previous reply.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Looks like Keisei Sky Liner to Nippori and then JR Yamanote line for 1160 unreserved. Add 920 for a reserved seat on the 57 minute trip from Narita to Nippori.

The Narita Express is all reserved seating and you pay the surcharge. It is definitely the most convenient way to travel. You would have reserved seats (probably) together and there is room for luggage. No change of trains or additional tickets to buy.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM

hawaiiantraveler is right, that a bus would be a good way to go, if there is a bus to Ikebukuro. The Holiday Inn website mentions only train and taxi, so no bus going to the hotel.

I stayed at that hotel in January. If you take the train then look for signs to the Metropolitan. The station exits take you into a mall, and you go up the escalator to the ground floor. Then bear right and turn left OR bear left and go around to the right. Out to the corner and you'll see the CP catecorner to the station complex (you will also see a Doutor restaraunt on the street that goes by the station, good coffee).

I arrived at the Metropolitan from elsewhere in Japan. When I left, I took the Narita Express from Ikebukuro. I was on Japan time and I know how to navigate Tokyo subway station but the convenience of the N'Ex was worth the price difference. For a family of four after a 12 or 14 hour flight and 12 or 14 hour time change? It would be a 7800 yen price difference for 4 between the N'Ex and the unreserved Keisei.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

You folks are incredibly helpful...thanks
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:11 AM

If you use KimJapan's website to Narita Airport click on the bus and taxi link. There is bus service to Ikebukoro right to your Crowne Plaza hotel. So you get door to door service. You buy your ticket right after you get out of customs and the buses are right outside the door. You won't have to hassle with the trains and they load and unload your bags on the bus for you so you won't wven have to hassle with that. The cost according to the website is 3,000 yen per person and 50% off for children. The travel time is about 85 minutes. Really convenient. Check out the Airport Limousine Bus link on the website. Hope this helps!