Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Myanmar - tourist destination or pariah state?

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Robert

I would be interested in hearing whether people think it is acceptable to travel to Myanmar considering the political situation there. I have heard differing opinions on this. I would love to hear from people who have travelled to Myanmar recently and how they feel about it now.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Wanderer

I just arrived home yesterday after having spent three weeks in Myanmar. Like yourself, I had many reservations about going. I went...and I am glad that I did. I think Aung San Suu Kyi is wrong in encouraging people to stay out. I wanted to learn firsthand about Myanmar. I was tired of simply reading about it in books and the Internet. Most of the people that I encountered and talked to (many speak passable English) were guardedly critical of the Government. Most complained of low wages and the need to earn more in order to have a decent life. There is that wide discrepancy between those with connections and those with none. In my three weeks in Myanmar covering the standard tourist venues, I found no beggars like in Thailand or Tibet or India. I consistently found people who were honest and genuinely friendly and helpful. They reminded me of the Nepali of 10 years ago. As my wife and I were leaving a 2-star hotel in Bagan, a cleaning woman came running up to us clutching a gold necklace that my wife had accidentally dropped onto the floor. She wanted no reward. Returning it and seeing my wife's gratitude was all she wanted to see. (A couple of weeks later, in Chiang Mai, someone stole a camera from my suitcase) I could go on and on. I've made a lot of friends and I am going to be sending a lot of postcards. I am hopeful that one day Myanmar will let in the Internet and that I shall be able to communicate through e-mail. I truly miss these wonderful people and, YES, I am glad I went and I intend to return. One other observation: In Thailand, the buses show a lot of grade B American films that portray Americans as macho hunks who carry automatic rifles and will shoot anything and everything that gets in their way. I bet a lot of Thais think this an accurate stereotype. Wouldn't they be surprised if they visited our country and saw real Americans? Nuff said!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Robert

Thank you for that thoughtful response!

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 01:17 PM
sandi

Wanderer,

Thank you for your kind words. I was born in Myanmar & now live in Dallas/married to a typical American husband . Hopefully, I can take him back to Myanmar & show him the other side of the world that he never seen before.

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 03:23 PM
barbara

we visited Myanmar a few years ago, and it was a fabulous experience. I would definitely go again. the people really appreciate seeing foreigners. i think it gives them hope to see us. try not to give your money to government run operations, but to the excellent private small hotels. Journeys International has wonderful, really wonderful guides and drivers. We loved them, and my sister and husband went with them recently for three weeks. they have their own office there, and they are reasonable. but contact them through their office in Michigan.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 10:26 AM
Kathie

Wanderer, Thanks for your comments about Burma. I had a trip planned to Burma about 10 years ago when Ang San Suu Kyi asked that travelers not visit Burma. I cancelled my trip then, but have been watching the situation there. I've decided to go to Burma in 2003.

I'm still in the early planning stages, and would appreciate input on Irrawady River cruises and any places you visited off the usual tourist routes that you'd recommend.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Sarah

Wanderer, I also want to thank you for your wonderful reply to Robert's question.
My husband and I are leaving on January 3rd for a visit to Burma (Myanmar). And although I am very excited about our trip, I have also been apprehensive about our safety. No longer! Thank you, again.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 05:11 PM
g hoover

travel in burma is easy and cheap. biggest problem was cashing travelers checks. mandalay is a blast. be careful about eating out of the pots at the local eating spots. don,t miss the river front and the world's longest teak bridge in mandalay.