Myanmar or Northern Thailand?

Aug 23rd, 2002, 07:01 AM
Lisa

Myanmar or Northern Thailand?

On my 1st trip to Asia should I include travel from Bangkok to the northern towns of Chiangmai and Chiangrai or instead do Myanmar. I am also seeing Angkor Wat. We have enough time but I'm thinking doing all would be too much.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 10:41 AM
Kathie

How much time do you have? I think Angkor takes a week, and I hear that Burma takes a minimum of two weeks. You could do a trip up to Chang Mai and Chang Rai in a week, easily. So I think this is likely to be a time question.

Aug 23rd, 2002, 09:17 PM
Lisa

We have up to 3 weeks. Sounds like it should be either/or. Myanmar and maybe Bangkok or Bangkok, Chianmai, Chiangrai and Ankor Wat. We're going in Dec. at a busy time so we should decide soon. Any tips Kathie would be appreciated.

Aug 24th, 2002, 03:52 AM
daniel

Bonjour Lisa
Considering that you have 3 weeks and it is your first trip in SEA, I would also recommend that you visit more thoroughly Thailand. If you want absolutely visit another place ,my suggestion would be to get a direct flight to Angkor Wat (Siem Reap)for at least 3 days to visit the temples. For now forget about Myanmar because travelling in this country is not easy.. but not impossible. My wife and I(45-50 ) went in Thailand 2 times in the last 5 years and also made a 6 month journey in all those countries from dec-01 to may-02.(also Vietnam, Laos,Cambodia, Malaysia, India, China)On our first trip in Thailand we went to Bangkok,Sukhotai, Chang Mai, Mae Hong Son, Phuket and also the north east,Isaan region. The last was the highlight of our trip:Very few tourists.The weather in december is ok but it could be cool (15*C) in the north in the evening or night. I'm sure you will fall in love with the people and sights of this beautifull part of the world. We are still dreaming of and...already planning our next trip there!
If you want more infos, send email if you want.
Daniel

Aug 24th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Lisa

Thanks Daniel. I only have time for a short repy today. Would love more info about the Isaan region - how'd you get there, hotel, guide, precautions, etc. Looking forward to your email.

Aug 24th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Kathie

Lisa, for more info on my trip to Angkor, see www.marlandc.com

I recommend a week there, Daniel recommend three days. Three days is considered a minimum to see the "major" temples. If you have more than a passing interest in the temples, I'd recommend a week, as that gives you time to see many of the smaller temples (which were my favorites) where you may be the only visitor. You'll also have time to visit Tonele Sap, and see the temples a bit farther away like the Roulous group and Banteay Srei.

I agree with Daniel that you should stick to Thailand for the rest of your time, as you have just three weeks, I love bangkok, so I've recommend at least 5 days there. Then I'd head north.