Myanmar- Gov't Airline?

Search

Myanmar- Gov't Airline?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myanmar- Gov't Airline?

Thai air out of BKK has a coopertive flight using Myanmar Air. Does anyone know if this is the government run airline of Myanmar? GOD HELP ME if it is ...
Thanks,
Bette
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:49 PM

It's a code-share flight operated by Thai Airways. MAI is a JV with Singaporean business interests, and is Singaporean managed.

If you're worried about putting money in the government's pocket, you might as well not go to Myanmar. It's more or less unavoidable (starting with the visa). If you're worried about safety, any plane can crash, as can buses and trains.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM

It is true that the government operated airline has a poor safety record. While some may say when your number is up, it's up, I like to improve my odds by flying with airlines that have good safety records and good safety, maintence and training practices.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM

If there is a Thai flight which is NOT a coop with Myanmar Air, take that one. The safety record is not good and it always seemed that when we were there that the Myanmar Air flights were the last to leave for whatever reason. Myanmar Air is generally acknowledged to be the government-run airline although the others all have ties to the government.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM

Thai air does fly to Burma-- I make sure to take it rather than the government airline.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Thai Air does fly to Myanmar but the connecting flight that I need leaves one hour and 15 minutes after I land. That is the Thai Air flight. I was not going to take it as I didn't want the stress of trying to make it ontime. God Forbid the plane is delayed out of JFK ..... that is a small window of opportunity in such a huge airport.

So, I was going to take the other Thai Air flight which leaves two and a half hours later until I looked at it again tonight and realized it was code share with Myanmar Airlines.

At which point I freaked.

And you're right when your times up, your times up but I would prefer to live a little longer if I can avoid those flights ......

I survived Laos airlines ......

So, now I am in a bind .... I think I will try to get on that REAL Thai Air flight ( 1 hr and 15 mintues) connecting flight. If I miss it, hopefully there will be space on Myanmar International. If not, I get to sleep at the airport hotel and try again the next day. I have used Thai air in the past and we had a really really tight connecting flight once, and the agent RAN US to the terminal that we had to get to ...... so, I am hoping.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 01:10 AM

Bangkok Air flies to Yangon, and is usually cheaper than Thai on that route.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Hi MichaelBKK. I checked out Bangkok air but the times dont' work .... but thanks anyway.

Bette
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:51 AM

Call thai air and see if they will check your luggage through to Yangon which would cut back the time some.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Since you are flying Thai Air all the way from NYC, there should be no problem with them checking your luggage through to Rangoon. Gloria is right, that will save you some time.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:33 AM

I am not sure I would want to run the risk - the JFK-BKK flight has frequently been delayed. Do yourself a favor and take the first flight to Yangon the morning after you arrive in Bangkok.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:04 AM

That sounds wise, Craig.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

I knew to have the bags sent straight through to Yangon. If I dont make the connector, Thai Air may try to get me on the gov't airline. If not, then I sleep overnight in BKK and leave the next day. since I am going Thai Air all the way, it would be in their interest to get me on that close connecting flight ( Yeah I know I am dreaming) but.........