Search

Multi-generational Kyoto visit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi-generational Kyoto visit

Hi Japan forum,
We will be in Kyoto for two days (4/5 and 4/6) with a group of 7: 2 84-year-old pretty mobile grandparents, 3 adults (my brother, sister-in-law and myself) and two grandkids, ages 11 and 15. One elder of the group is Japanese and fluent, 2 have some language ability, but the rest are English-only. It is the first trip to Japan for the kids and their parents.

Can members of the forum offer any tips for how to maximize this time there? Is there a logical sequence of main sites that would save transport time and give an overview of what Kyoto has to offer? Can you recommend a guide who might also be able to share info and highlights for all ages and help with transportation around the city, given that we are sort of a larger group? Or maybe we could use a guide one day and explore on our own the second?

The other wrinkle is that these two days will be via Shinkansen in the morning from Nagoya, so the excursions will need to start and end from Kyoto Station. Not my choice, but that is what it is and it cannot be changed.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 09:33 PM
kja

Given your very limited time in Kyoto, a guide might be a good option. If I recall correctly, you might find some recommendations for guides if you search this board.

I trust you have seen japan-guide.com ?
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, kja, I will look into that site--have not yet perused it.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 08:03 PM

With a group of that size and if I could afford it then I would consdier this:
http://www.mktaxi-japan.com/#!luxury-wagon/c1pxr
They have two vans that can accommodate your group. Not cheap.

Am wondering why it would be necessary to return to Nagoya. I think you are saying that you would go to Kyoto in the morning and return that night and then do the same the next day. If that is the case then am wondering why go to Kyoto in the first place (considering the time and cost of commuting from Nagoya). Will you already have JR Passes?

The good news is that Nagoya to Kyoto is only 36 minutes on the shinkansen. The not good news is that the fare is ¥5,640 each way per person and there is no good alternative. It would be ¥710 less pp e/w if you go without reserved seats, which I would discourage. Unless you got a discount (that I don't know about) then the fare would be ¥39,480 for 7 each way. That is US $772 per round-trip.

google sez drive time between Nagoya and Kyoto is 1 hr 48 min.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you mrwunfrfl. Yes, it is an unconventional setup, but we have JR Rail Passes and so fare is not important. We have friends in Nagoya and are staying near the station.

The Kyoto vans are not cheap at all, and probably over our price range, but interesting to have as a reference point. Thank you for the link.