Most Unique Places in India

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for the most unique places in India and the best way to reach and experience them. I'm into ancient history, religious spirit, art and adventure. Not a fan of large cities, big star hotels and shopping. I was looking at Vanasari, Khajurho, Madurai, Hampi,and Jalismer. Please advise what wows and what isn't worth the effort.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:20 PM

HI Margotlynn! Namaste!

I had just responded to your other post , but i will write a few more things here!

I have been to all the places u list and they are all WOW! and some of my absolute favorites in India!

First off, Varanasi is a Must, the absolute heart and soul of a trip to India! Sunrise and Sunset at The Ganges. It will give u a better understanding of India, and is one of the most fascianting places on EARTH!

To get to Varanasi u can take a flight from Delhi, a flight from Khajuraho or u can take a train from Delhi or AGRA, to give u some options.

IN Rajasthan i am quite fond of both Jaisalmer and Pushkar! A trip by camel into the Thar Desert is a must from Jaisalmer, and i just love the medieival feel of jaisalmer..

Pushkar,,I also like, as it is real low key and it is a holy place too, a lovely serene place to visit.. However, if u go during the camel fest, it is pure chaos...Of course the camel festival is great to visit if u are into that sort of spectacular!

U may also consider Udaipur in Rajsthan, for its history, palaces, and art, and Ranakpur too!

Getting around Rajashtan can be done with a car/driver, some train journies and even domestic flights thrown in too, depending on your time constraints and your routing. I think it is nice to experince all differnt modes of Indian transport, as per the different experinces u encounter as such..

Khajuraho yes!!! I Love it there! The Temples are extraordinary, and i like the town too, and have many freinds there. I go there all the time for down time when in India.

WEll, to get to Khajuraho, i often take the train from Agra to Jhansi first off. And then from Jhansi drive to Khajuraho, and this is where u can have a stop in Orcha..The road is not great but quite the adventure..

U must stop at Orcha en route to Khajuraho.Orcha Palace is wonderful, and the village of Orcha is also enchanting..i wld spend the night in Orcha too..Give u a real low key local feel..

If u go to Orcha, let me know..My friends own a gorgeous characteristic hotel, with stupendous views ...

And yes, by all means, Hampi is breathtaking and poerful. The energy of the place will take u in.

To get to hampi, U can reach a few ways, but if u are going to Goa, u can easily can take bus from goa to Hampi.,.Well, not so easily as it is a long jounrey, but it will get u there..Or u can go via Bangalore, etc..

It is probably not the right time to go, but I am very fond of the STATE of HImachal pradesh, and Dharamsla(where the Dalai lama lives and tibetan govt in exile) and i quite like the Kulu valley too. Travel in this state wld be by bus or car/driver..

Madurai and the Meenakshi Temple..yea, another wonderful and very colorful place to visit..South India is a different world, and actually many great temples to visit in the neighborhood of the State of Tamil nadu if u choose that route..U can fly into Chennai and go from there by car/driver, etc.

There is Trichy, and Tanjore, to name a few...And also interesting in Tamil Nadu is Mamahalipuram!

REally, all places list4ed are worth the effort and spectacular in their own right, but it will depend on your time factors and how much u want to to travel across the map of India.

There are also wonderful places to visit in Kerala too, but let us save that for another trip!

India is just one fascinating Country overall with endless fascianting and unique places to visit! u can not go wrong wherever u visit on this great list// magical experinces every step of the way.

aND by the way, pick up a book called Holy Cow by SArah MacDonald. I am sure u will love it. It is a travelogue of a Indian Adventure and goes to many of these places. It is a superb book for getting in the Indian frame of Mind.

happy travels, namaste, and feel free to drop me a line. I am a American woman living in India. Happy to help! [email protected]

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Bonita, great summary of those places! Would you consider Ajanta and Ellora caves on this list too? Thanks.
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM

Hi,
The State of Gujarat is one of the best place to see . To state few ,the most ancient temple of Dwarka,(Temple of Lord Krishana ) Palitana (The Jain Temple )The heart of ancient civilization sights such as Lothal, Near Ahmedabad, and the Dholavira 5000 years old ancient town lost with passage of time. The Sun-Temple , Patans Step - Well which is very Unique. Above all the land of festival , Unique tribes and rich culture.
Welcome to Gujarat
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM

I am not an expert on South Indian heritage & therefore would leave the field for others to comment on. However, your choice of Benares, Khajuraho & Jaisalmer; along with ancient temples of osiyan,Haridwar, medieval art of Ranakpur make an excellent locale of travels. Delhi itself has a wealth of art. Yes, we also have some most beautiful works of art in Eastern Rajasthan, where according to one classicist “art itself seems to have been exhausted”, which you with a special knowledge of ancient history & art will be able to appreciate. North West India also have temple & bardic scripts written in ancient Sanskrit,Pali & Prakrit languages which are a delight for a person initiated into this artform. Volumes can be written on these glorious artifacts, lying strewn over the whole of India, in the Royal Asiatic Society & periodically appear on international art auctions.
Very best for your plans!
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 12:14 AM

In season Ladakh...Pondicherry, the home of Sri Aurobindo...the state of Kerala...Jaisalmer in Rajasthan...Varanasi esp for non Hindus to understand better the practice...Gulmarg with its stunning scenery...north east India to see a completely different culture...Khajuraho or Ajanta Ellora...
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed Jaisalmer, as well as Jodhpur and Jaipur, but if you're going to Rajasthan consider taking a car and driver (public transport may be difficult) to visit the painted haveli in the Shekhawati region. I arranged the car in Jaiput through www.rajasthantravelservice.com and the guys there were very helpful and the prices reasonable. Not only are the havelis interesting, there were hardly any other tourists there (although it was just after 9-11).
Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Other places to think about: the steam train to Darjeeling, the sun temple in Kornak in Orissa, Amritsar and Mysore. My trip reports on these (plus other places in India) are at http://wilhelmswords.com/asia2001/index.html There's a photo of one of the Shekhawati paintings in the Deserted Kingdoms piece.