May trip to India

Search

May trip to India

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May trip to India

My husband and I plan to visit India for the first time, starting with Calcutta, in May. I know this is not the best time to go, weather-wise, but it is when we can go. We expect to be in India for about 2 weeks, and would love suggestions of where to go.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM

My wife and are lobbing into Calcutta also and it will be our first time in India. Bjut we are going about a month earlier, and flying from Calcutta to Guwahati in Assam, visiting Manas World Heritage National Park, and then doing a 7-night cruise up the Brahmaputra River with http://www.assambengalnavigation.com/index.htm

From there we will fly to Delhi and then go by train to Agra.

A good starting point is this website: http://india.makemytrip.com/default.html
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:37 PM

India is a vast country, and without knowing your age or interests, it is very hard to make recommendations. While this site is a wealth of information, IMO you will get better advice once you have decided what YOU want to see and do on this trip; otherwise it will be people’s opinions about what you should do. Some people could spend days on the burning ghats in Varanassi, others want to lie on a beach in Goa, others want to see all the museums in Delhi, others want to trek in the Himalayas. If you haven’t already done so, I would suggest you go to your library and get some guide books. Old editions don’t’ matter, as the basic information and tourist site info does not change. When you have some ideas of what you want to see and do, then buy the newest editions for restaurant and hotel recs and the latest travel tips for that country. You picked to start out in Kolkata for a reason, perhaps one or more of the arts is your primary interest (its certainly an excellent city for that) and therefore you might want to concentrate your travels on other cities with other art offerings.

May will be very very hot in virtually all of India as they await the monsoon rains which will break later in the summer. It will be over 95 F most days and easily can exceed 110 F on many days. Take a look at weatherbase.com for information. I would not try to plan to see more then 3-4 places in 2 weeks, as the heat will slow you down more than you realize. Consider going to higher elevation places like the hills stations of Darjeeling, Nani Tal or Simla or even further north to the states of Ladakh and Sikkim which are in the Himalayas and will be much cooler than the burning plains of Rajasthan or the really humid pressure cooker which Kolkata will be in May.

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:26 AM

I would take a train (1st class) to Delhi. I did. India is very scenic and what can you see from six miles up? Then Agra and Jaipur. Maybe Bombay too (visit a Bollywood film studio).

On the wall of a post office in Calcutta is a plaque telling you that that is where the "Black Hole of Calcutta" was.

I had two seven week tours of India. There is a lot to see there.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 01:11 AM

a. As it is your first time in India, you would certainly like to see the Taj Mahal. So after doing your tour of Calcutta, you may fly to New Delhi. The Hotels shall be offering discounted tariff so you may easily get the very best including the Oberoi Amarvilas, at a much discounted price.
b. May is certainly very hot & dry in Rajasthan. Therefore, you may chose our Himachal Pradesh, in the Himalayas, to spend a few days in. There are some lovely hotels to suit all budgets.
c. The Corbett can be visited in the month of May. However, staying inside the park is not recemmended, it would be hot. The Infinity resort in the buffer zone, air-conditioned, could be a great base for your safaris inside.
d. You have some wonderful retreats in Uttaranchal like the Binsar, Kausani & Ranikhet.
Very best for your plans!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 04:16 PM

hey, vp_singh, I'm heading into Assam to do a cruise along the Brahmaputra starting from Guwahati and heading upstream for 8 days, arriving at Dibrugarh. Do you have any suggestions?

I'm OK with the second part (flying to Delhi and going by train to Agra, but I have no idea about Assam...part from the cruise and Masa National Park.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Not the foggiest one, Pal!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:40 AM

Many confusing offers. Whilst in the eastern side, a trip up to Darjeeling, kalimpong and Sikkim, all in the Himalayan foothills, wille be a very pleasant journey. Then back down to bagdogra and fly to Delhi, for a short visit there and to the fabulous Taj Mahal, will whet you appetite for a return to see some more later.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're flying into Kolkata during the summer, definitely consider a trip up to Darjeeling. That's where the Brits went to cool off. Consider riding the "toy" train (see http://www.dhrs.org/) and staying at the Windamere.