Managing Tokyo

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Managing Tokyo

Does anyone have specific advice on how a lone non Japanese speaker get to see the most interesting things and can get around Tokyo most easily ? (I am there for a week in May)
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 10:29 AM

Advice: be patient.

If you ride the subways, just take your time and read the maps. The stations have subway maps that are all Japanese and other maps that are Japanese/English. You might have to look around for the latter, but you should find it. It would be a good idea to get a subway map and get familiar with it before you leave. Find the station(s) near your hotel and near the places you want to visit. If you haven't got that worked out yet, then you could start by checking out JR lines on the subway map and where they go on a street map.

If you are wealthy, then you could use taxis. Get your concierge to write down instructions for your driver when you leave. Note that when you ride Japanese taxis, you should not touch the door handles, the doors will open by the driver's remote control.

In any case, you ought to take the name and address of your hotel, written in Japanese, in case you get lost. Learn how to say your hotel name in Japanese. If it is a hotel chain with multiple properties in Tokyo, be aware of the location names of those other properties. (taxi driver might ask, for example, in Japanese: "do you want the Hilton in Nishi-Shinjuku or at Tokyo Bay".

You are in luck, there is a Grand Sumo Tournament in Tokyo in May. It runs most of the month.

It will also be big league baseball season in May.

Everybody in the subway will be in a hurry, except you I hope, but you won't get stampeded and nobody is going to yell at you.

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:15 PM

One of the ways to really get a feel for the city, is by using the excellent public transportation system. I reviewed my route each morning with the concierge at my hotel because sometimes there are multiple ways to get to a destination and they can help you avoid some of the more crowded or confusing stations.
Also, each morning, I asked the concierge to teach me how to pronounce my various destinations for the day. That, combined with creative sign language, helped me communicate with all sorts of non-English speaking people, who in general were always willing to try to help me.
Good luck!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:31 PM

You might do what Japanese travelers do to see Tokyo...book a day tour. You can book them at the main Tokyo train station. JTB (Japan Travel Bureau) is one company that has bus tours. They'll take you to some must-see sites and often include a stop for lunch. I think it's a good way to get oriented. The next day, get out the map and head out via comuter train to the various areas of Tokyo. It's a great city! Enjoy!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 10:21 PM

Here are a few ideas:

1. Keep a small notebook and a pen in your pocket with you whenever you go out of your hotel room. That way, you can have people write down the Japanese characters & the romanizations of the places they recommend to you. furthermore, you can write words out and point to them when you just can't seem to get your message across.

2. Always think in terms of the nearest train station. That's how most people in Tokyo think of their city. A good map that shows the Tokyo train system is what you need. The JR trains are the most important trains and most of the places you visit will be inside of what is called the Yamanote Line, which is a giant JR train line encircling Tokyo.

3. Point, smile, speak slowly and clearly and be patient. Tokyo's efforts at making things easy for English-speaking travelers are coming along, but not under unified control. Train stations may have signs that lead you along nicely and then seem to quit at times. See if the uniformed men at the ticket gates can help you out. They have seen all sorts of troubles and they usually go out of their way to help travelers.

Also, look over the JR ticket-selling machines before you use them. There is a button at the top left that switches the whole electonic display to English.

4. Be prepared to do a lot of walking in those train stations. It sometimes takes you a lot more time than you think to connect to trains or get out of one. Don't try any shortcuts from directions given to you by someone in the know.

Have a good trip!
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 01:33 AM

One bit of advice regarding the JR ticket machines: it can be really difficult to figure out what price ticket you need for your destination, since often times the maps above the machines are all in Kanji. If you are unsure, just purchase the cheapest ticket available (usually Y150). Before you exit at your destination, look for the Fare Adjustment machine (sign in English) and put your ticket in. The machine will tell you how much more you owe and give you a new ticket so you can exit the turnstile.
Old Apr 12th, 2003, 09:23 PM

i have just been to japan recently.

it is very easy to get around easily.
many signs are english and it will just
take you a day to get to know the various routes.

keep the subway and JR line map with you all times. you can find the price
of the fare, by looking at the fare map posted on the wall near the fare machines. if you cannot find a fare map in english, just go to the attendant and buy the ticket.

or better yet you may want to buy a day pass and avoid going through the hassle of buying other tickets later in the day.

also, i would recommend you go to odaiba
in tokyo if you have time. take the monorail from shimbachi station and go
there.

have fun.

- reddy
- reddy