Malyasia Train Ticket

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 05:03 PM
Octovia

Malyasia Train Ticket

The single trip fares for a 2nd class train ticket from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur and vice versa, quoted by KTM (Malaysia Railway) website http://www.ktmb.com.my were both 34.00. But from SIN to KUL, the currency was S$, while KUL to SIN, it was RM. The present exchange rate is app. 1S$=2.1RM. If the information from KTM website is not wrong. That means travllers have to pay more than double the price to travel from SIN to KUL.

Could someone clarify or explain this for me?

Second question, I am quite sure that I can buy a KTM 10 days railpass in Sinpapore, but I don't know how much. Would it be much more expensive than getting the same one in Malaysia?

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 07:10 PM
Scotters

Its all the matter of exchange rates and the fact that Malaysia is so much cheaper than Singapore. 1US dollar is worth about 3.8 ringgits compared to 1.8 singapore dollars. When taking the train north from Singapore I always suggest taking a bus (around 2SD)to Johor Bathu in Malaysia (just across the causeway from Singapore) This way you can get your train ticket in Malaysia funds and save a few dollars.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 12:59 AM
Jen

Exactly! Same goes for airfares - if you want to fly from S'pore to somewhere in Malaysia, get over to JB first.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Octovia

Dear Scotters & Jen,

Thank you for your replies. Could you tell me where to board and how much it cost to travel by the bus to Johor Rail Station.

Could anyone tell me how much it cost to buy a 10 days KTM Railpass from Singapore. KTM said it was US$55, but I am not sure whether this is Malyasian price or Singapore price?

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Scotters

Go to the Queens Rd. Bus Station (two blocks from the Bugis MRT station) and take the bus going to Johor Bahtu. Fare is around 2SD (at least it was two years ago, it may have gone up). After crossing the causeway and clearing Malaysia customs, tell the bus driver to let you off opposite the JB railway station. The trip will take about an hour.
The rail pass is quoted in US dollars so should be the same if purchased in Singapore, but I don't know this for sure. Since the cost off rail fares are so cheap in Malaysia, make sure that you will get a benifit from it as opposed to buying individual tickets. Also note that the pass does not include overnight sleeping berths, for which you will pay extra.