Reload this Page >

Malaysia with a child

Search

Malaysia with a child

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 02:29 PM
Ewa

Malaysia with a child

Is Malaysia a safe country to visit for a mom and a 5 year old? <BR>Has anyone rented a car in Malaysia? Any comments? I know I can manage driving on the left. <BR>Thank you.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 05:22 AM
carrie

Ewa, Malaysia is a very safe country for any visitor. Your child will be center of attention wherever you go, the Malaysian are family orientated and are very especially receptive to children. Driving should be okay in Malaysia just try to avoid driving in downtown Kuala Lumpur, the road layouts seem to change every other days (a two way street can become a single one overnight). I am a frequent visitor to this city and have driven in various continents, still end up in places I don't want to be. <BR> <BR>The international car rental companies, i.e. avis, hertz, budget etc are well represented here, but it may be cheaper to go with a local one. Have a nice trip.

Old Jan 10th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Amy

We took our son to Malaysian Borneo when he was six months old and to KL when he was a year. No problems at all, other than getting spoiled by all the attention. Have a great trip.

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Accanthus

Taking your child with you to Malaysia can be a rewarding experience provided you take all the normal health precautions,i.e. food(Malaysian food are usually spicy), sunburn(powerful sun during the day), jabs(if you are going to jungle or remote areas)etc. Children are an excellent passport into a local culture. You'll receive good service or help from officials or member of public when in difficulty. Most Malaysians are still fascinated by non-Asian children, don't be alarmed if your child is mobbed by the admiring locals. Some children love all the attentions, some react against them, it is up to you to gauge your own child. <BR> <BR>Try the local car Proton if you are thinking of renting a car. It is cheaper than the Japanese counterparts but equally good in performance. The rental should start from RM150 to RM300 a day. Have a great trip!

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Mr Robert

As a grandfather I can not speak for traveling with a child in Malaysia. However, As a frequent visitor to Malaysia I have always rented cars. There are no problems renting a vehicle from any of the major rental agencies. Gas is inexpensive and traffic outside majoe cities very managable. The main Highway, North to South, From Singapore to the Thai border is a toll road, so be prepared to pay as you go. Malaysia drivers tend to speed and tailgate especialy on major roads. Also, the weather is a factor with torential downpours at times making for alertness especially in passing other vehicles. K.L. is a maze of oneway streets and freeways and I stay out of the city center by not driving but taking taxis, much more convenient. Parking at major shopping centers is often a problem especially on weekends. Dont worry about all this and enjoy your trip

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 11:25 PM
e@one

Dear Ewa... <BR>I'm a Malaysian..staying at the southern part of it so-called Johor Bahru. Very near to S'pore..about 10 mins driving. <BR>It's no problem to bring up your kid here..I can guaranteed your safety here. <BR>Do e-mail me..for further details..I'll show you around.... <BR> <BR>See You..!!!