Malaysia:6 days.KL and Kuching?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my family and I will probably cancel our trip to Myanmar next January, we are thinking to go to Malaysia. I've read a lot of things about it at internet but I'm still very confused. We are going to BKK, Angkor, Anantara (we love animals). Now we have 6 days that were meant to Myanmar.
What do you think about staying 3 days in Kuala Lumpur and 3 days in Kuching?
I've read sth about orangutan Rehab.Centre close to Kuching and another one in Sabah. As they are my favourite animals, I'd love to see them that close(I know we can't touch them).
Which one is better? We do not want to sleep in the Centre's lodge.
Any information about Malaysia will be more than welcome!
Thanks everybody again!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM

I thought Kota Kinabalu was more interesting than Kuching and vicinty. I have gone to visit orangs at Sepilok and also in Burma and love them -as do most people who observe them. I stayed at the Sepilok Nature hotel right next to the park and it was one of the nicest places I ever stayed at - really beautiful and not expensive.
Old Sep 28th, 2007, 03:38 PM

I loved Kuching! I was not as impressed with the city of KK. You can see Orangutans in a rehab center in either Sabah or Sarawak. I don't think one is better than the other... best is to see them in the wild, which a mere three days is unlikely to allow you to do.

If it were me (and it isn't) I'd spend all 6 days in Malaysian Borneo, perhaps divided between KK and Kuching. KL is not as interesting as Borneo.

I assume you read my trip report on Borneo. If not you can search for it on the forum by typing Borneo into the search box.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:11 PM

I enjoyed Kuala Lumpur, lery, and visited there twice. I found many interesting things to do and places to see. The first time I visited I stayed 4 nights; the second time, 3 nights. I found the people to be delightful with a high command of spoken English.

Try to use the search function on this board, typing in Kuala Lumpur.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:19 PM

If you're in Kuching and want a dose of Orang Utan, find your way to Matang Wildlife Center, approx 30 kms from Kuching city.

View this link http://www.forestry.sarawak.gov.my/f...g/matangwl.htm
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 02:32 AM

If you do decide to go to Kuching, you might also be able to see proboscis monkeys in the wild at Bako National Park--it's not too far out of the city. From the park's beaches you can also view its striking sea stacks. See:
http://www.forestry.sarawak.gov.my/f...np/np/bako.htm
I have been to both Kuching and Kota Kinabalu (twice to each) and they are both interesting. The sea is more inviting around Kota Kinabalu (good snorkeling) and, of course, the area's major attraction is Mount Kinabalu (terrific fauna and flora, with good hiking). See:
http://www.worldheritagesite.org/sites/kinabalu.html
and
http://www.sabahtourism.com/attraction.php?ID=61
In Kuching, you will have a great opportunity to learn about some of Borneo's most interesting tribal cultures--the Sarawak Museum is well worth a visit, if you go. We were stunned by the arts of crafts of Borneo--we came back with textiles, carvings, beaded objects, and peppercorns! The Sarawak Cultural Village out at Damai (about 40 minutes outside of Kuching) also provides a good introduction to Borneo's diverse cultures. It's touristy, sure, but it offers a unique experience.
If orang-utans are your favorite animal, maybe you should go to Sepilok (merckxxx mentions this above). I have not been there, but I have heard great things about it for years.
Instead of Sepilok, I went to a orang-utan rehab center out side of Kota Kinabalu. Wish I had gone to Sepilok.
That time of year another nice coastal place you might consider visiting, off the west coast of peninsular Malaysia, is Langkawi Island. I was there about 11 years ago, and I am sure it has changed a great deal, nevertheless, I continue to read good things about it. Back then,it was very green, very serene, very economical. Accommodations were first rate and the island abounded with wildlife: monitor lizards, macaques, hornbills, sea eagles, and more.
Malaysian Borneo is wonderful; peninsular Malaysia is also very nice. I would go back there any day. The only downside is when the Indonesians illegally set forest fires for land-clearing and then the skies of the entire region become polluted with a thick haze, though you are not likely to encounter this problem during the time of your visit.
KL is a pleasant modern city, but I think with the little time you have two days/two nights would be enough.
I see you are going in January, which is a good thing, as resorts in Borneo will become VERY crowded around the time of Chinese New Year in early February.