Malacca - car rentals?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 11:08 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Malacca - car rentals?

Hi,

Is it possible to rent a car in Malacca? If so, can you let me know which companies and locations please. Also, is it possible to do booking online for these?

We are looking to drive from Malacca to Port Dickinson and back to Malacca.

If there are other transportation options that are good we would like to consider those, but think car will give us the flexibility we need.

Thanks
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:17 AM

It does not appear that any of the major US or European agencies have a location in Malacca. (Several have locations in Port Dickson, however.) You may have to go with a local company once you get into town. However, how are you getting to Malacca? If you are coming from Singapore via bus or train, it might be better to rent a car in Johor Bahru, just over the causeway from Singapore, and then go up from there to Malacca (not a bad drive.) This would save you drop off charges for renting in Singapore and dropping in Malaysia, assuming you won’t be returning to S’pore. (On websites, if the rental restriction it says “West Malaysia only” that is fine, that just means peninsular Malaysia and not the island of Borneo, where you will not be going.)

I will say that while Malaysia is one of the few Asian countries in which I drive, as roads are good and drivers are not too insane; I am not sure if you are used to right-hand cars and left-hand road driving. (I live in Hong Kong which also uses left-hand drive.) If not, the highway between Malacca and PD may not be the best place to learn.

Otherwise, it might just be easier to take a bus up and back from Malacca to PD, a train may also be possible. There is a good private bus service for most of Malaysia. There are even executive class buses which are very comfortable. One of the main carriers is Transnasional Express, see http://www.nadi.com.my/transportatio...es_express.asp. Also see Take a look at http://www.plusliner.com/. Phone numbers for some other bus services are below.

Superria Express 60-3-20709410
Express LPMS 60-3-20701676

For rail, take a look at ktmb.com.my.

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 12:45 AM
kdd
Original Poster

We are currently expats in SG so we will be returning to SG. We are taking a train from SG to Tampin which is the nearest station to Malacca and from there probably a taxi to the hotel in Malacca. After 2 nights stay we plan to go to PD and for this leg I feel having a car will give a lot of flexibility. Our drop off point will be in Malaysia itself as we are taking the train back to SG.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM

Well, based on that I would say try to find a local agent in Malacca, sorry don't have any reccos. Try through your hotel. Otherwise, the drive from S'pore to Malacca is actually quite easy and quick, so if you already have a car in S'pore I would just drive all portions. Or rent in JB and then return in JB. I am not sure that the train overall will save you much time or hassle.

Or reverse your item and first train all the way to PD, then rent in PD, drive to Malaaca, and return the car in JB and taxi or bus into S'pore.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 08:42 PM

Just a suggestion. Why don't you drive from Spore?

Use this route. Spore-->Gelang Patah causeway (Johor gateway to North South Highway)-->Skudai-->Yong Peng-->Tangkak-->Ayer Keroh (exit here to get to Malacca town). The Gelang Patah - Ayer Keroh journey takes less than 2 hrs.

To get to Port Dickson, go back to Ayer Keroh interchange and drive north to reach Seremban exit. From Seremban, there's a direct route to Port Dickson. The Ayer Keroh-Port Dickson drive is about 1.5hrs

Now, if you have all the time and would like countryside scene, from Malacca town, use the coastal road and find your way to Masjid Tanah (lovely Malay traditional homes can be seen along the old road). From Masjid Tanah, wing Lubuk Cina-->Pengkalan Kempas-->Tanjung Tuan (Cape Richado) and finally Port Dickson. In my opinion, this is nearer but you can't drive too fast because it's rural area.

I am not sure when is your travel date but if you use the coastal road, do make a pitstop at Cape Richado because year-end is when thousands of raptor birds (kites, hawks, eagles) migrate from inner Asia to here to escape the winter. Good spot for bird-watching.