Mai Salong - Worth a visit?

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mai Salong - Worth a visit?

we have a few days in March at the Ananatara golden Triangle in March prior to a trip down river to Luang Pabang. Has anyone take a trip to Mai Salong. Is it worth a 1/2 or full day trip?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM

It's definitely worth the trip. I spent a couple of days there. It is very different culturally from other areas as it was settled by the chinese during the revolution. It is also much less touristy than other areas.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Yep, it is quite unique...the drive up the mountain is quite beuatiful.
Make sure you visit a tea making factory.
oh, and half day is more than enough.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I'd agree that its worth a visit - lovely country to drive through. If you like tea make sure you try (and buy) some oolong tea - they have a really fabulous green oolong - expensive by tea standands but an absolute bargain compared to buying such tea elsewhere. I'd happily go back just for that. Some really good and unusual dried or candied fruits too.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the feedback. It is now definitely on the agenda. Does anyone know of anywhere close to th Anantara that I can hire a car and driver (I am not keen to pay the Anantara rates which seem way over the top!). Alternatively, is there anywhere close to the Anantara where I can rent a motorbike?
Finally, I do indeed like tea, although we still have about 5 year's supply left from our last trips to Laos and Vietnam so I don't think my wife will be too pleased if I buy more!