Reload this Page >

Lukla FLights, Trekking recommnendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 12:08 AM
Tom

Heard the Lukla airport is closed for repair tearly this year, so flights seem to be more expensive as one has to take a helicopter in. Prices are being quoted at about $280 round-trip to me via the web--anyone know this for a fact? Are there less expensive routes into Lukla? <BR> <BR>Also, if anyone's been on the Everest Base camp trek recently, would appreciate any tips/warnings. Am wondering if I could follow the trail myself or if I'll need to hire a guide. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for any help. <BR> <BR>Tom

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 01:41 AM
Ed Davis

I did the trek last April with a guide. The trail is easy to follow and there are many trekkers to consult with along the way. If I were to do the trek again I would not use a guide. I stayed in the lodges along the way. They are adequate. If you don't want to carry your gear you can hire a porter. I carried my pack and had know problems.

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Tom

Thanks much. Very helpdul to know. Did you fly into Lukla or walk from Jiri?

Old Feb 11th, 2001, 10:54 PM
trekker

You might check out www.hec.org/ There are some helpful links with up-to-date info regarding the Lukla situation.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Alaska1

I have a good friend in Nepal that like to answer questions.... check out his web site www.timaltrekking.com <BR>I had head about 3 weeks ago that Lukla airport may never open back up so ya might have to walk a little longer than expected so add a few days to any trip to the everest region