Search

Luang Prabang

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
SuY
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luang Prabang

Am thinking of booking my hotel stay at Luang Prabang for end of year and am narrowing it down to 3nagas given the resort-like atmosphere of the Pansea. We would be just coming from Angkor Wat and want to relax and do a short time-out before returning to the real world. Quick couple of questions

1. Any particular room recommendations for 3Nagas? Is the suite worth the investment?
2. Any hotels I should be thinking about besides the 3nagas?
3. I have read about old royal homes being used as hotel stays. What are the names of hese places?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
SuY
Original Poster

Sorry, one other quick thing. Is it best to book from the hotel website or should i use another online reservation service to get better rates? If so, any recommendations?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM

we too are interested in hotel recommendations for luang prabang??
please help fodorites.....
looking for a quiet, clean, central hotel, maybe with a pool for 3 women.
any suggestions???
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:05 PM

I will be there in mid-April with 17 year old daughter and will post after our return. We booked at 3nagas directly from their site (cheapest and 10% discount). SalaPrabang was already booked. Both are well recommended from this site. From what I gather, LPB is a small place and safe (as safe can be.) Jan
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:41 PM

Hi,

I stayed at the 3 nagas last year and will return this year. All the rooms are nice but it really depends what you want to overlook. Some downstairs are at the back and therefore have private terraces. The front ones I personally would not choose as they can be overlooked from the street. Upstairs at the 2 suites and 2 rooms. The most expensive suite is very nice but I would not pay the extra for the intermediate one - I just didn't like the lay out. We stayed in room 6 which I liked and would book again (so don't book me out in August please) It had a big verandah which was lovely to sit out on. The other room had a verandah too but not so big. We had our breakfast on the verandah each morning looking out on the world but not too exposed.

I really loved the atmosphere there.
We booked through the website (5% discount) - at that stage it was not offered through any agents but I think is now.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 05:34 AM
SuY
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I just tried contacting 3nagas via email and learnt that their rates have gone up. It's 120 for the regular room and 145 for the junior suite. Seems to be quite a jump from what's on their website. any thoughts if it would be better to use a travel agent to book it and if so, whichh one?
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:08 PM

the grand hotel is part of the former royal residence of a prince...

i believe pansea is also a former royal residence...

i think anything royal about them is long gone althogh they are among the best hotels in LP
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:10 PM

great prices on www.asiavoyage24.com
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:56 PM

Neither the Pansea nor the Grand (both of which a rather new) were former residences of royalty. A (small) portion of the Villa Santi was the residence of a member of the Royal family. There is also a small guest house (sorry, can't remember the name, starts with an S and looks unpronounceable) that was the residence of an uncle of the King. However, I tried to book it about 9 months in advance and was unsuccessful.

I should say that the former residences of the Royal family are not especially luxe.