Lost On Planet China

Search

Lost On Planet China

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost On Planet China

I've just begun this book by J. Maarten Troost. I was wondering whether anyone else has read it and any impressions thereof.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Haven't read it yet (it's on my list) but I absolutely loved Getting Stoned with Savages. (The book was great too.)

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 07:45 PM

lol, Filmwill
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM

How funny, I am listening to this book in my car right now!
Interesting and entertaining so far.
I spend a lot of time commuting so listening to books, many of them travel related, helps pass the time.
Just finished "The Lady in the Palazzo" by Marlena de Blasi and listened to all the "Bangkok" books by John Burdett that way too.
Any recs for something Vietnam related?
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Andy,

You are in for such a treat! The book is both very perceptive and hilariously written. If you are a westerner who has spent any time in China, you'll laugh aloud numerous times. I'll be surprised if you don't enjoy it. Let us know.

Kristina,
If you do a search here, you'll find a number of good recommendations. I (finally) just started SACRED WILLOW which others here have recommended.

I stand by my earlier recommendation of Anthony Grey's SAIGON, a book that was brought to our attention by an older Vietnamese gentleman who thinks that it explains his culture to westerners. It has little literary merit, but provides a very helpful tutorial -- through historical fiction -- of the Vietnamese experience from French colonial rule through the fall of Saigon and American evacuation.

My husband is in Vietnam now with a book of stories set in VN that he is enjoying tremendously. I'll check on the title and get back to you.
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Mary-I'm really liking LOPC. He's got just the right touch of cynicism along with some pithy observations. I'm hoping his air quality comments and the expectoration comments don't impede our enjoyment of China in September.

I especially liked his remarks about the authenticity of Marco Polo's writings.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM

Loved this book!!!!! Great sense of humor!

Another one I recently read and recommend:

CHINA ROAD by Rob Gifford

http://www.amazon.com/China-Road-Jou...064&sr=8-1
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM

"Equal parts Bill Bryson and Jonathan Spence" -- this looks sensational.

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM

I also recommended some other good ones here:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35171332
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Kristina,

You asked for reccos on Vietnam.

My husband adored a book I found browsing in Cambridge's Globe Corner Bookstore -- Robert Olen Butler's A GOOD SCENT FROM A STRANGE MOUNTAIN -- so I have begun reading it and am also charmed. It's a Pulitzer Prize winning collection of stories. Others here probably know Butler's work but he is new to us.

Andy,

I hope that you are continuing to enjoy LOST ON PLANET CHINA. It is possibly funnier after you have spent time in the country -- I don't know. I laughed uproariously at Bill Bryson's IN A SUNBURNED COUNTRY without ever visiting Australia though so I figure that past travel isn't a requirement to enjoy such a book.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I continue to enjoy this book. His political stuff is very amusing. Of course, it's not entirely clear that he's actually enjoying himself, but who really cares?
Old Jan 21st, 2009, 03:45 AM

And don't forget to read the Fuchsia Dunlop book, SHARK'S FIN AND SICHUAN PEPPER!

http://www.amazon.com/Sharks-Fin-Sic.../dp/0393066576

Old Jan 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM

ekscrunchy,

On your advice, I just picked up Dunlop's book and read the first twenty pages. I am hooked. Thanks for a delightful recommendation.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:57 AM

I am glad you are enjoying the book! I've got a new one now on China that I just started--I will post about it if it is good..a Chinese-American living in China and learning to cook..
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

EKS-how about a book about an American living in America and learning to finish a trip report?
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM

Ouch! I will have to scout around for possible subjects. Right now such a book would have to be shelved with the "fantasy" titles! I WILL get on it very soon, however! You can probably imagine all too well how I was in college when the term papers were due...

If I would put down the travel books that I am always reading, I would have more time to dedicate to my saga..
but I WILL be finishing soon. I want to begin thinking about an Asian trip for next winter, and I know all (or mostly all, anyway) will turn their backs on me if I ask questions before finishing up what I started..

Meanwhile, the book I mentioned up above is SERVE THE PEOPLE by Jen Lin-Liu.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

In truth, when I was in college, one of my majors was Philosophy. I never, and I do mean never, started a term paper earlier than 9:00 p.m the day before it was due. Most of the subject matter dealt with pure thought (Bob this is an area into which you have never delved) and I could just expound.I did these on an old typewriter, one finger at a time. There were several instances of me sprinting across campus in an attempt to submit the paper before 5:00 p.m.

If I really believed that EKS would perform an allegorical sprint across campus, the penbalty would be waived. My hopes are not high.

BTW, thanks for the boof recommendation.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM

The boof? The boof? And here I was getting ready to sprint.....but a referee who says "boof" might not even be able to read a stopwatch!!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

A mere oversight "boof", even though it does have a certain charm. One would never want to use a "boof" without a recommendation. One could choose an inappropriate "boof". Unthinkable.

BTW, I will not allow myself to be belittled by accepting that I am a referee. Properly assessing the penalties takes a lot more than merely administering a set of rules. Many factors have to be considered. The quality of mercy will not be strained, nor will it be improperly granted. The burden is enormous.
Old Jan 24th, 2009, 10:48 AM

The Fuchsia Dunlop book recommended by ekscrunchy above -- SHARK'S FIN SOUP AND SICHUAN PEPPER: A SWEET-SOUR MEMOIR OF EATING IN CHINA -- is a treasure-trove of information about Chinese culture and cuisine. I wish that it had been available before my first trip to China.

Dunlop manages to write with that perfect balance of affection and insightfulness that allows you to appreciate both our own western and Chinese culinary idiosyncracies.

The book is great fun to read. I will now look up her earlier cookbooks. Thanks, ekscrunchy.

Andy, if you are continuing to enjoy Troost, you might find this an absolutely delightful next read.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -