Reload this Page >

Looking for inexpensive Bangkok central hotel

Apr 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

we need to book 2 rooms in Bangkok...
looking for central, close to transportation and shopping with a pool and a/c

we will be staying at the Marriott on the river for our last few days so dont need anything fancy for the first two nights

thanks in advance
Apr 28th, 2005, 02:58 PM

We recently stayed at the D'Ma Pavilion Hotel - cost approx. $40 per night including taxes and breakfast for two. The hotel is very nice but not overly luxurious. It is located at Petchburi Road, Soi 31, in the Pratunam area. Good local shopping is nearby -- open-air markets, bazaars and street vendors. Skytrain (Chitlom) is a very interesting 15-minute walk away, as are the major a/c shopping malls. The hotel is approx. 15-20 minutes from the airport, about 165 baht.

Incidentally, we checked out the Marriott Resort while we were in Bangkok. It is very very nice - a serene oasis in an otherwise very hectic city. I think I will stay there next time, just for an entirely different experience.

Apr 28th, 2005, 03:00 PM

The following hotels are great value, clean & comfy. Have not stayed at either but buddies have, & say they are both excellent. Both have a pool, new siam is cheaper but is not a hotel, which is nice because the Thai family who own new siam are lovely & you get to interact with them. Both are good choices!
www.viengtai.co.th
www.newsiam.net
Smart of you to pick cheapies if all you need is basic accom. Save the good stuff until you can really enjoy it! Have fun!
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM

www.bookings-asia.com have cheaper rates for Viengtai than their own website! Good luck.
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks lyndie andjudy...
we stayed at the shangri la and marriott last trip (oct 2004).
we liked the marriott and want to be able to spend some time just staying around the hotel our last days in bkk.

the first 2 nites, we want to be able to get around easily and we like to experience different areas.
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:10 PM

dive---have a look at the davis hotel...good location off of sukhumvit...only neg. is that skytrain is a bit of a walk or tuk tuk ride---

rembreadt hotel---great location and fabulus restaurants---mexican, indian and italian...

chateau de bangkok---good location too...

landmark is often mentioned but i think it is almost as much as marriott, but great sukhumvit location....

holiday inn on silom is good...$45 on priceline...$24 to upgrade to exec. rooms which i suggest...we will have one nite there in june...

there is a brand new holiday inn either on sukhumvit or plenochit rds...look at the HI web site and it come up...not sure of price...it may be a conversion hotel???

check out some of the others on www.huahin.20m.com...they are arranged by street address...

don't know what thew asia hotel is like but the skytrain is right there...there is also a hotel at the shopping center at emporium mall on sukhumvit....i think it is emporoum suites or something similar...

this should keep you busy...

oh yes also on the river and very cheap is the royal river....we are staying there 4 nites courtesy of northwest....i have stayed there before...it is clean and decent but not anything like the marriott

bob
Apr 28th, 2005, 07:07 PM

dive---i completely forgot the centre point serviced apartments...you can get two bedroom units...they are in 4 or 5 places in bkk: next ro sharngi-la hotel, called silom rd; wireless rd, near american embassy; near to the conrad on a nameless, at the moment, street; sukhumvit area...look on the hua hin list or centre has a web site too.... includes breakfast....they are very nice...the silom is the least nice but has a great location right next to taskim skytrain stop....we visited the silom and nameless street ones and did a tour..

there is also the marriott mayfair on the same street as the nameless street above...
Apr 28th, 2005, 08:12 PM

You may like to try Novotel Siam Square (3000 Bahts perhaps?) which is a 4-star hotel right in the heart of the busy Siam area with BTS station and several shopping malls all within 5-10 mins walk.

The Buddy Lodge is the only "luxury" hostel/hotel on Khaosan Road which is also nice. Probably the most expensive one (2200 Bahts) on that road but well worth it.

The new Holiday Inn next to the Intercontinental is converted from the old President Hotel.
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:09 PM

I would just say that I 'do' like Novotels, they offer good all round value for money with some lux touched without being de-luxe ( if that makes sense ), the Novotel Siam Sq B 2,900/3,000 is good value. If you want to down budget the Viengtai is good value. The Asia hotel is very good value, B 1,350 to B 1,800 ( $ 34-45 ) rough price area.
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:10 PM

how much are you looking too spend... remember inexpensive for fodorites is kind of steep for mere mortals..

Apr 29th, 2005, 05:28 AM

I've not stayed at either Rembrandt or Landmark, but I would agree they would be good choices, if the price is right. I've eaten in restaurants in both and they were very nice.

Carol

(Siam Novotel probably has the best location for your shopping... imo.. have not been inside but I'm sure it is a good choice also)
Apr 29th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

thank you all for the great recommendations... we want to spend approx $35-40 per nite for each room....
convenience and cleanliness are essential.

i have been scouring all your suggestions and its a bit overwhelming with all the choices.

we also are looking for the same in chiang mai and chiang rai . we stayed at the tamarind village last time but want to check out local hotels...we like staying where the locals stay....

thanks again
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM

For Chiang Mai check out Baan Orapin. It's a b and b which has gotten good write ups and is very reasonable and well located.
Apr 29th, 2005, 06:07 PM

asia hotel. is one of your best choices it's conected too the skytrain.. you can walk too MBK mall and if you'd like you could hop on a bout and travel all over the city for cheep.. rates go for about 35 bucks
Apr 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM

divediva-cheapies for Chiang Mai are:- Lai Thai Guesthouse www.laithai.com has a pool, air cond, clean place. Garden view rooms are quieter. We paid 700 baht in July & Dec 2003. Also Suan Doi House ph 5322 1869 was nice, but did not stay there. Galare Guest House is right near the river and in a great location. www.galare.com. Avoid Riverview Lodge, the rooms are tiny, furniture & beds were uncomfortable, the owners & many of the staff were arrogant & rude, the noise from the disco opposite was deafening.
Apr 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM

Here are a few places that I or friends have stayed at and found to have basic but clean rooms, have a pool and located very close to a skytrain station. Best agent rate (includes tax/service charge/breakfast unless indicated) is shown for (high season) so now you may be able to get a better rate by checking other web sites.
Asia Hotel-sup rm 1600(40us) http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.c...gkok/asia.html
Evergreen Place Apt-small bedroom 1700 baht(43us)-no breakfast. http://www.bangkok-hotelpro.com/evergreen/rates.htm
Holiday Mansion-deluxe rm 1600 baht (40us) http://www.hotelthailand.com/bangkok...n/index.html#r
Sathorn Villa-studio 1200 baht(30us)http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.c...k/sathorn.html
Silom Serene-deluxe rm 1750 baht (44us) http://www.bangkok.com/silom-serene/

Apr 29th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

wow...great suggestions...i have been busy looking up websites and prices, checking out hotels and ammenities...

i love the research that goes into planning my trips almost as much as actually experiencing the trip.

thanks again....i will let you know what we decide...
trip booked for october 11 - nov 4...

how bout suggestions for beach areas either koh samui or maybe phuket...
we have 4 days where we have nothing planned....maybe hua hin or koh chang...
last year we went to the full moon party (my daughter made me do it) dont want to repeat that again...-)
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:27 PM

Well my domesrtic budget in Thailand is around $30 or I allow $40 if going with the family. October into November is always a dificult choice weatherwise as the last few weeks of November is when the weather really does change a great deal.
Koh Samui if you want a bust tourist island, Koh Chang is you want a quieter Island, Hua Hin ( especially Khao Takiab Beach and Bay ) good for being easy to get to, bus a/c from Bangkok B 178 (USD 4.50 ) takes 3 hours or taxi for about $40-45, you can also take the train, takes about 4 hours plus but if you enjoy a train ride is pleasant and different, you can perhaps train down to Hua hin and then cab back to Bangkok. Ocean Breeze is a great B&B just a short walk to the beach at Khao Takiab in Hua Hin, about $30-35 a night with good breakfast, indoor pool, cd/dvd/ac/tc/in room tea/coffee etc, nice garden with another small pool.
You can cylce around the area, horse and buggy rides, elephant rides, jog along the beach, beach not nearly as tropical glamerous as Samui but it's fun to cycle arong kms of beach in the early morning. I personaly use www.huahin.20m for local as they suit my price range and have lots of mid and budget places, you can also see pics etc on :www.huahinwhatson.com/oceanbreeze.html

On Samui if you can stretch to $50 Tradewinds Cottages would probably suit, not boutique but close to everything ( i.e busy ) and good value.

This link sorts Samui places by price and there are I think 100/120 places, right down to real budget but lots in the $30-50 region

http://r24.org/R24/R24hotels.php?r=s...ur=USD&promo=#
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Here is another link for Khao Takiab beach and bay in Hua Hin. There are also other boutique places like Baan Talay Dao and Supatra but they are more expensive. At a rough guess I would say 90%++ of all visitors to Hua Hin area are local, although it caters well for international travellers ( Marriott resort, Hyatt Regency, Sofitel, regent, Anantara etc ) it also benefits from 'local' pricing and has not gone 'over the top' pricewise, the local market still dictates costs which is good.

http://www.khao-takiab.com
May 1st, 2005, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

after days of research and website browsing, we have narrowed our bkk hotel choices to the asia hotel, silom holiday inn or novotel lotus. all look wonderful and affordable and will accomodate a triple.
of these 3, is there anything that sets them apart? in one substantially better than the others?
thanks for your input

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO