Looking for country suggestions for 2 week itinerary for next year's trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just returned from Spain, we're now talking about our 2016 trip and a return to Asia. I've been planning to go to Indonesia for a while (Java/Bali + 2-3 days in Singapore or Hong Kong) but it looks like I may only have a total of 2 weeks next year (thanks to possible job change). Not definite yet, but the 3-week trip may be a thing of the past.

I'm looking for recommendations that would make a good 2-week itinerary that is more easily accessed from NYC (that is, India has direct flights; Indonesia has multiple stopovers) which would mean that less time is lost in transit. I would most likely be traveling either April or later May, so many places in Asia could be eliminated. I'd really love to go to Indonesia, but I'm afraid that we'd lose so much time in transit and adjustment time, that it may not be worth it.

We've now been to India (Rajasthan) and SE Asia (Thailand, Cambodia, Laos). On the very long list of places that interest us are the following top contenders, although the list is not exclusive and some places call out more than others:
Indonesia (Java/Bali, and more, if time allows)
Southern India
Sri Lanka
Vietnam
Borneo

What do you recommend for a great 2-week trip in Asia during the spring (April or late May)? Feel free to add to the list, I'm open to suggestions.
Could we make Indonesia work?

Early thoughts, but suggestions and opinions most welcome!
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 04:14 PM

japan

HK/Shanghai combo

taipai

Argentina---used to be asia before they had a falling out
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 04:41 PM

Japan would be a great two-week trip, especially if it were earlier in the spring to catch the Sakura.

I don't think Taiwan has enough for two weeks, but I may be wrong, since I've only spent time in Taipei.

We loved Sri Lanka and two weeks is a good amount of time for that destination.

I think Indonesia could work for you... as long as you restrict yourselves to Java and Bali. Lots of places you are considering require as much flying as Indonesia - Sri Lanka and VN or Borneo would take as many connections.

April is the absolutely hottest time of the year in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Burma (Myanmar), so I don't recommend it.
Old Jun 11th, 2015, 08:30 PM

I think it would be workable to do Bali + one more stop in two weeks. Spending time in both Singapore and Java (Yoygakarta?) as well as Bali, seems a little more hurried to me, but if the flights are well aligned could also be doable. Personally, I'd choose one or the other.

Singapore Airlines has good a good route JFK-Frankfurt-Singapore-Bali -- three flights, but efficient connections. You could fit Yogyakarta between Singapore either coming or going on a combination of carriers like Air Asia or Singapore.

The good thing about Bali is once you're there, no more flights. If you haven't been there before you could easily fill up 10 to 12 days with a variety of activities.

April/May is generally good weather in Bali -- not too much rain -- and low tourist season.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the suggestions and feedback! I'm still inclined to do Bali/Java (limit time in Singapore, if need be), but do want to consider what other options we might have. It's still not a done deal, so I may still be able to manage my 3-week trip, but I like having a plan or 2 in mind.

<<Argentina---used to be asia before they had a falling out>>
I'm trying to work my mind around this one!

Japan is definitely on the long list, and might be a good option, too, although I'm thinking about it for a longer, post-retirement trip in a few years. But it's a good suggestion and one worth considering.

I appreciate the ideas, though. Very interesting to consider different combinations, such as HK/Shanghai!

Again, thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 04:42 AM

Others above have suggested flying direct to Singapore, and then onwards, and i would endorse that, but stay for a day or two. It's a great place to break flights, and you can get to anywhere in Asia/Pacific region directly.

Bali is a 90min flight. Ignore anything you have been told adversely, and just go there. It will surprise you (but you must do your homework, avoid Kuta and look at Seminyak, Canggu, Ubud).

Java is a real destination. 180million people live on that island, it's chaos in Jakarta and orderly traditional life outside the capital. Two weeks there will keep you busy, West Java is very traditional and Islamic, but East Java has the best places such as Borobadur, Mt Bromo, Malang, Surabaya, and Bali is a quick step away.

Don't get too bothered about the temperature. it's always hot in Asia. Something to do with the equator...
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 06:57 AM

I agree that Japan would be a good choice as sakura season is in spring.

Of the places you list in the op, Sri Lanka would be my pick. If you pick Sri Lanka I'd try to visit in April and leave before the monsoon starts.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 09:37 AM

If you have just two weeks, you will want one stop in Java, likely central Java to see Borobudur, Prambanam, Dieng Plateau, and the Ramayana Ballet. We very much enjoyed our time in Eastern Java, but I don't think you would have time for both central and eastern Java plus Bali and a couple of days in Singapore. If you can get three weeks, you could make that work.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, your suggestions are much appreciated.

I would so love to start planning a trip now, but I have to wait until I see what happens with work, and that could be a while.

I've been planning a 3 week trip for the past few months to Indonesia (Bali/Java & possibly Kalimantan) and Singapore or Hong Kong, depending upon the airline used. If we do end up doing a 2-week trip, though, it would be much reduced. From NYC, the Singapore airlines flight arrives 2 days after the departure date, so I lose a lot of time in transit. But I would still go to Java and Bali.

Kathie, your trip report to Central Java is my model -- I am very interested in exactly the places and sights you mention above. East Java sounds lovely, but in any of my iterations, there's not enough time. And of course, Bali.

Oh, work, it is a necessary evil that interferes with our travel!
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 03:42 PM

This might be a bit "out there", but have you been to Morocco ?
Interesting country, fantastic sights and friendly people.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 03:47 PM

Did Morocco also used to be in Asia? lol
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

sartoric,
Great suggestion! Morocco is definitely a place we'd love to visit and 2 weeks seems like a reasonable amount of time! Love the idea.

Yeah, Morocco, formerly of Asia, along with Argentina (see rhkkmk above)!
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 04:29 PM

We are in Ubud right now, just finishing a trip to Singapore, Central Java and Bali that has been a couple of days longer than 2 weeks. Generally speaking, it is hard for us to be away for more than 2 weeks due to work and family issues, but this was built around what I could get in mileage award tickets at the time we were booking it. It's been nice to have the extra few days, but I would have enjoyed it just as much if constrained to two weeks.

It's been a fantastic trip! We leave to come home early Monday morning and will try to get a trip report going later next week.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

ms_go,
Thank you for posting! It is really what my heart is set on and if it's doable, that's my first choice for The Next Big Trip.

Enjoy the rest of your travels and I look forward to your trip report!
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 04:45 PM

Glad you like the suggestion Progol.

Haha Kathie, I'm not quite so geographically challenged.
I was thinking that Morocco has that same exotic feel as much of SE Asia, and much closer to NY.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 08:34 PM

"From NYC, the Singapore airlines flight arrives 2 days after the departure date, so I lose a lot of time in transit"

Remember that you get a 12 hour refund when you arrive in New York.

I know what you mean though. My son has the same problem when he visits us from the States. Two weeks, which for people with demanding jobs is an exceptionally long vacation, really feels like 10 days with travel time and jet lag.
Old Jun 12th, 2015, 10:28 PM

I really feel for many Americans locked into no more than two weeks vacation.

Where I live (Oz) four weeks holiday is standard for full time employees, and many companies make extra time available by salary sacrifice. I took 8 weeks in 2004, the company paid me for four weeks, the other four weeks was unpaid.
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

I've been very "spoiled" in my current position by having supervisors who have allowed the 3-week trips I've taken for the last 3 years. If I stay where I am, I can continue to do this, but it's time for a change (and more $!), and the new environments are not quite as flexible.

I know that I really should wait and see, but I like to plan ahead! It gives me something to look forward to. And there are so many great ideas here!

marmot, that 12-hour refund (!) still doesn't give me that extra day in travel that I crave!
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 01:02 PM

You're right to start early. Don't wait --planning/dreaming is so much fun. Plan for two weeks and if it turns out you have longer--it'll be a huge treat!!!
That said, much as I love Southern India (one on your list) and you could have a great trip even in two weeks--the weather is not the best at the time of year you mention.

So stay with your gut instinct and first desire dream trip to Java/Bali! As I haven't been there (yet) I've an ulterior motive suggesting it--your future trip report!

That said, having been to both Singapore and HK, I 'd recommend if you need a stopover to break up the trip, choose SG for 2 nights/3 days. HK with its numerous surrounding islands IMHO requires lots more time than 2-3 days.

Do you have FF miles you and DH can use for a Business Class flight in at least one direction? With limited time, the ability to sleep comfortably on the flight is more important of course, as you won't have the time luxury of a few days' jet lag recuperation. The Business Class seats on the newer airlines are all lie-flat and at least on Cathay Pacific, have privacy alcove walls.

Happy Dreaming/Planning!
Old Jun 13th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Calinurse,

I only wish I had miles! No more, I'm afraid, not even for a sweet little economy seat. No, we still travel at the back of the plane, but have survived.

Good point about Singapore vs. HK; and I've checked the fare on Singapore airlines several times, and its been reasonably priced for the route marmot mentions above (JFK/Frankfurt/Singapore/Bali (or Jakarta, if I'm starting in Yogyakarta).

I wouldn't go to Southern India during April/May, either -- that'll be another year!

Lots of dreams now and a little planning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -