Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

looking for a little trip in chiang mai, thailand

Nov 1st, 2005, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

I will be in chiang mai the end of november for 4 days. i am dying to take a small trip to the golden triangle area, encompassing chiang rai, hillside tribes, elephants,a little raft trip, etc. PROBLEM: My travel partner does not want to do this and i can't seem to find any overnight trips for a single traveller. Any suggestions? I have checked out a number of online tours as well as intrepid travel, exploretheworld, geckos and imaginative-traveler.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:01 AM

Just to clarify, you are still looking for an overnight trip for yourself but your partner will stay in Chiang mai?

This is no problem at all, there are plenty of tours from Chiang Mai and these go all the time providing various options.

There are countless trips and tours by local operators and those are the people who will take care of everything, the accommodation ( i.e single ) is never an issue as majority of hotels charge on a 'room' basis, that is why you will often see the difference between a single or double price is little more than the cost of the breakfast and a little extra cleaning.

All hotels arrange trips but if you want to book in advance let us know and others will come forward with ideas and places to book, if no one does I will come back with some contacts for you in Chiang Mai.

Dealing local is easiest and usually cheapest, don't worry we will find you something!
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:05 AM

Also please tell us your budgret/pricing range so we know whether you want budget/mid price or luxury arrangements, because if you want something lux and can 'afford' something extra posters here have contacts to arrange not only a trip sorted especialy for you but you might even tempt your partner along, they can relax in say a nice resort place in the Golden triangle area whilst you do the out and about stuff, having a car with a driver is a great way to enjoy such trips but naturally it costs more but often not 'over the top' prices, so it won't cost a fortune anyway.

Glorialf: Is it Poon's sister/brother in CM?
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:06 AM

Glorialf and others: Sorry I meant Ratt's sister/brother?
Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:41 AM

There are many tour operators in CM that will accommodate your wants. It could be a long day trip or an overnight. You don't need to necessarily arrange before you arrive in Thailand. Check with your hotel in CM as they may be able to recommend or arrange exactly what you want. CR and the GT were our fav part of Thailand. Happy travels.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM

Check out www.galare.com. You can e-mail them directly by e-mail and they are extremely accomodating with both day trips and overnight at a reasonable price. Nice lodging and great location at $20/night and it is nice not have to deal with third party. Can rent scooter for $5/per day and ride around the countryside - bring a GPS to assist in locating your hotel again.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM

Poon is Ratt's sister. I hired her and she did a fine job. She has/had an older Mercedes.

When I arrived in CM, I missed Poon and took a taxi to the hotel. I got the driver's business card. After a couple of day's touring with Poon it was time to leave. For my return trip to the airport, I called the number on the car. That guy sent a sharp young man with a well kept Toyota. He had pretty reasonable rates for touring and would hire him if I returned. My point is that it seems to be pretty easy to find a good driver/car in CM.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for quick and very helpful information. I would really like to book a trip in advance, also so that my partner will know how many nights she's going to be on her own. Any contacts, etc. would be great!
I checked out the Galane guest house and it sounds fantastic...now I have to convince my "I want to stay @ a *****(5 Star) hotel" friend that we should try it. It sounds like they offer the longer tours for a single traveler as well. To JamesA:To clarify, my friend will be staying 'behind' in chiang Mai while i take off for 2-3 days....she'd rather take a cooking course!! Now for hotel advice: Besides my preference, the Galane, we are considering either the Chiang Mai Plaza or Imperial Mae Ping. My partner booked the Sheraton, but it sounds old and rundown and far from the night market, etc. ANY ADVICE? Also, which service is better; Asiarooms.com or Sawadee.com?
Thanks again!
Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to add in that i would prefer a hotel around $50-$60US total/night for two people. As far as tours go---My priority is the actual itinerary..I'd rather pay more for exactly what i want.
Nov 5th, 2005, 01:55 PM

jjakrub...if you are female...you really might consider hiring poon to take you around. she speaks fairly good english and it will be helpful in so many ways.

we hired her for 4 nights 5 days of travelling and she bunked with my daughter...it was very enjoyable and we had the opportunity to spend the day with her again last week...

you have to decide if you want to be part of a tour or to travel more independantly.
Nov 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DiveDiva
I am female...I would prefer to travel with a group, but will emial Poon. Are you a diver? If yes, i will be in Samui(Chaweng Beach) for 3 days and want to do 2 days of diving. We're staying @ Poppies. Any recommendations for Dive Operators/Shops?