Lombok suggestions

Search

Lombok suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lombok suggestions

Looking for some suggestions for nice places to stay at Lombok. We're having a week there in late Feb 2020. Have airfares booked but no accommodation yet. The rough plan is to head straight to Mataram and spend 2-3 nights there, then probably go to Sengigi. We're also considering a visit to one of the Gili Is, and possibly have a look at Mount Rinjani. We'll be looking for mid-price range hotels/resorts, so any recommendations will be very much appreciated. Any suggestions on the best part of Mataram to stay? Suggestions on other parts of Lombok to visit?
Old Dec 7th, 2019, 11:29 AM

My favorite place to stay in Lombok is Qunci Villas. It's a small place, quiet and lovely. Excellent food.

Why are you staying in Mataram? Lombok is a small island, no reason I can think of to stay in two places. We visited Mataram while we were staying a Qunci Villas, as well as visiting other parts of the island.
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Kathie. I thought it'd be a good idea to stay for a couple days in Mataram, just to get a feel for the place and see some of the city sights. Qunci Villas looks lovely but a bit out of my budget.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 12:10 PM

Quinci villas, period
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 02:48 PM

Note that Qunci offers hotel rooms (Garden view, Partial ocean view, ocean view) as well as their luxury villas. When I just checked the hotel rooms were under US$100. So do a little research before crossing it off the list of options.
Old Dec 9th, 2019, 05:20 PM

You might rethink how you want to spend your time in Lombok. Mataram is the biggest "city" but it's really more of a sprawling commercial area, a consolidation of several small towns that provide housing and services for Lombok's hospitality industry. It's only about 10 miles from Sengiggi beach. You could easily stay at Sengiggi or any of the westcoast beaches and still visit Mataram if it's of interest to you. Lombok's native culture isn't as rich as what's found on neighboring islands, but it does produce some handsome arts and crafts: textiles, basketry, pottery. These are produced in villages throughout Lombok. If you're interested in visiting artisan workshops, it's best to get out to the villages where the work is done. The southwest coast (near the airport) is popular with surfers, with big waves, wide white sand beaches and beautiful sunsets. Plenty of budget accommodation in the area. Mt. Rinjani is an active volcano, a rugged and demanding mountaineering destination. You'll be able to "have a look" at the mountain from just about anywhere in Lombok. If you want to trek, make sure you are accompanied by an experienced guide. Trails can be treacherous during the wet season.
It's fairly easy to travel between the Gili islands, so you can visit before you decide which one you prefer. Late February will be the height of the rainy season and rates will be substantially discounted.
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies.

marmot: your info is very much appreciated and will help me shape my plans.