Search

Leaving for Vietnam in four days for my first visit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaving for Vietnam in four days for my first visit

Am I ready?

I'm flying from San Francisco to Hong Kong. I plan to convert $100 USD into the Vietnam currency in Hong Kong since my connecting flight doesn't get into Vietnam until just after midnight. Good idea?

I'm using a Visa on Arrival when I arrive at SGN. I have two copies of the letter and the paper with my name on the form and two passport photos. Do I need anything else? I hope they can do a visa on arrival form at 1:00 a.m.

I plan to take a taxi from the airport to my hotel. Any suggestions on how to not get ripped off my a taxi driver?

Any major sites I shouldn't miss? Any good buys?

I'm packing really lite: three pair of pants, two pair of shorts, eight shirts, two pair of shoes. Should I bring a battery powered fan? Suggestions please.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 02:35 PM

Dong are not legal currency anywhere outside of VN. I seriously doubt that you can convert US dollars to dong in Hong Kong. In any case, you will get a better rate in VN. There will be currency exchange windows open when you get to HCMC or there are ATMs in the airport.

What you have is a pre-arranged visa. (I know her websites call it a VOA, but obviously, it is not.) They will have desks open for the pre-arranged visas. You will need exact change in US cash for your "stamping fee."

Use the taxi desk inside the airport. Do not take any unauthorized taxis - people hanging around asking if you need a taxi.

Where else are you going in VN?

I assume where you are staying is air conditioned, so I wouldn't bother with a battery powered fan.

Note that the merchandise in the duty free shops in VN is all fake. You will find expensive liquor at amazing prices. But if you read closely, that single malt Scotch was "Made in Scotchland." Things that are good buys in VN are hand-crafted items.
Old Sep 22nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Kathie. I forgot about the Cash with the Visa. Guess I will bring a little more cash with me. Hope the plane doesn't crash. I'm on an Intrepidd tour up to Hanoi.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, will the taxi driver take USD?
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 06:35 AM

The taxi driver will accept US dollars, but anything you buy using dollars will be more expensive than when you use dong.
Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 03:16 PM

It's late, but try to arrange a private driver through your hotel. Depending on the hotel, it shouldn't be much more expensive than a taxi and the hotel can put the charge on your bill.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Just back from Vietnam. Many people speak English and everyone was friendly. I took a taxi from the hotel to the airport and with tip it was about 10 USD, which was much cheaper then hiring a driver at 3:00 a.m. All of my two star hotels had air conditioning, wifi and cable television. I noticed in the south they call it Saigon and in the North they call the same city Ho Chi Minh City. Lots of motorbikes.