LCUY..question for you

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LCUY..question for you

Hi,
I have been shy to post since I received very negative feedback when I changed my mind about plans...well after much research I am focusing back (somewhat) on my original plan. I was wondering if we might communicate via e-mail. I see that you traveled in August in India and also have seen many of the places I want to see. Let me know how you feel and if you are ok I will post my e-mail.
JJ
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 09:34 PM

I don't mind, but you shouldn't worry about posting here again. There are many posters with great advice, and we are a pretty kind bunch overall.

Either way, hope I can help. India is just too wonderful to miss.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 07:59 AM

juliajane -- don't be run off by bullies.

There are many of us planning a trip to India (or dreaming of one), who enjoy reading all kinds of questions, maybe even a question we've been pondering ourselves, and the helpful answers given.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I have to say I really felt attacked last time...but I feel better after ready your responses.. It's funny that I can be intimated by people I don't know and probably never will!!! I will post soon,,,.Thanks!!
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Ok I am back and have done more research but still debating. So far I have purchased plane tickets (from Newark to Delhi) will have 10 nights in India.
Plan 1:
Delhi-2 nights
Agra-2 nights
Jaipur- 2 nights
Shimla -3 nights

So I have one extra night..hum??? I was going to stay 2 nights wildflower and 2 nights Shimla but have gotten feedback that 4 nights is way too much in Shimla....thoughts?? So I can add night in Jaipur?? any other ideas???

or Plan 2:
Delhi 2 nights
shimla 3 nights
agra 2 nights
Jaipur 2 nights

still one extra night.???..just different order of places...my last day if I am in Shimla I hope to fly to delhi late day and either be at airport or have dinner and spa in Delhi before flight.

If I stay 10 nights at Oberoi the price is 170,000 ( I know it is a lot...but they have special offer with breakfast, 25% off spa services, ground transfers and upgrade to suite if available)

Do you think given this is the Oberoi it is a decent deal....I can shop around....

Also debating using a travel agency or doing this plan and adding my own driver.

Thanks so much for any advice!!!!
JJ
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM

I don't think 10 nights for 170,00 is outrageous..it works out to about $380 a night, doesn't it? Just make sure to get two nights ar Amarvilas, and ask nicely for a balcony room. You will NOT regret it at all!

I would go with plan #2, and add Delhi as the last day. It is just the nature of travel in India that flights are late or cancelled, and from Shimla you won't have other options to get you into Delhi for your international flight.

In addition, Shimla is much cooler so you can adjust to the weather and jet lag in a more relaxed setting. I would still recommend you spend either your first or last night at Cecil hall, which is IN Shimla. Wildflower hall is 25 or 30 minutes away on mountainous roads. not somewhere that I wanted to go after dark, which means you can't enjoy some of the evening activities on the Mall in Shimla.

You can make your air reservations on line: http://www.flykingfisher.com/index.aspx

Just plug in your dates. Delhi=DEl Shimla= SLV This is a nice airlines, just warn your credit card company right before you book the flight. Visa and Ames always block the use of my card for India stuff unless I warn them!

Since Oberoi will be dropping you off and picking you up at the airports, the only ground transportation you need to set up is your Delhi-Agra-Jaipur legs.

Email one of the drivers mentioned here often..Arvind, Ramesh Meena, or my favorite guy, narender ([email protected]) Just tell them where you want to go, and how many days. They will quote you a flat rate. Easy, no need to hire a very expensive Oberoi car. If you email Narender, tall him Lucy from Hawaii gave you is number. I've traveled with him several times, as well as used him for shopping days in Delhi. He is a good driver, very cautious, and incredibly kind and polite. Allow some time for him to reply to your e-mail. he doesn't check it when he's out on the road. If you want a guide in Agra or Jaipur, let him know up front so the price will include it. If you don't want a guide, state that up front as well.

If you spend your last day in Delhi, here is what I'd do: either visit some of the spots you missed in the beginning or go to Khan market for last minute shopping. There is a Fabindia shop (cheap clothing. sheeps, tablecloths, etc), Anokhi (not so cheap but nice clothing and bed fabrics) paper stores, household decor shops, and various other small spots. From there, head to Santushti market. It is a quiet collection of nice shops in a compound with lawns and big trees around the little buildings. Beggars and touts are not allowed in. The restaurant there is lovely, called Basil & Thyme, I think. have lunch, shop a bit, then head back to your hotel. Make an appointment for a spa treatment after checkout, so you can shower or just sit in the hot tub till it's time for dinner or time to head for the airport.

Simple! You plan the framework and let your son choose the daily activities.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice..I will follow. One other question?? I am sure more will follow but in Jaipur I was thinking oberoi but I was told by another agency that Rambagh Palace is nicer...they said the rooms at oberoi Jaipur have not been kept up and are "a little sad." What do you or others think of this?
JJ
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Hi JJ -

I can't compare the Rambaugh to the Oberoi, as I haven't seen the Rambagh. I stayed at the Oberoi Rajvilas in 2007 and there wasn't anything about it that was sad. It was a beautiful property with excellent service.

Hopefully you'll get some feedback from others who might have been there in the past year or so....
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 06:04 PM

we had a splendid evening at rambaugh and ate in the sumpuous dining room... it is fantastic... you might like it for a change and i think that fabulous shop anoki is very near by...
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Okay, I can't imagine an Oberoi letting it's property deteriorate. The agent must be getting a higher commission from the Rambaugh, which is a nice property. It has been 5 years, but our experience at the Rambaugh for dining only, was lousy - overpriced, terrible food in a nice atmosphere with poor service. I would guess that the Rambaugh has figured out by now that they have competition and have improved, hopefully. I would still stay at the Oberoi over the Rambaugh...
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 08:50 PM

I never stayed at the Rajvilas... but I also can't imagine the Rajvilas as sad.
In Jaipur, we enjoyed our stay at Samode Haveli, a heritage hotel. Very tradional Indian hotel. Not sad, but not fancy either. I chose it because I liked the price and the location( in the old quarter).
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

with the above itinerary I would arrive agra on Thursday and be there on Friday. I think since I would be flying from shimla I would then need to drive to Agra....so probably would not arrive to afternoon...what do you think with taj being closed on friday?...should we do jaipur first or do you think seeing the taj in the pm and then just at sunrise without going in would be sufficient.
JJ
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM

I think you should arrange you schedule so that you can go in at sunrise when there are fewer people there. Not much point to being there on a Friday at all - there is a nice view from Amarvilas but its not like being inside. This is the naked eye view from Amarvilas:

http://craigandjeane.smugmug.com/Tra...403_Fqtry-A-LB
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 02:21 PM

our experience was a bit different....our guide told us lets not go to taj early because of the fog that week (this was december), but lets go in the mid to late morning....it was a perfect time.... i was going to go back at sunset but decided against it because i felt the $17 entrance fee was outrageous.... some will call me cheap and unreasonable but remember many people you see around agra make less than $17 per month...
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went in the evening and in the morning (the morning visit was free for World Heritage Day!) and felt it was absolutely worthwhile as the color of the marble was so different. There were hardly any other people there first thing in the morning - it was the middle of November and no sign of mist.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

but was it closed when you went in the morning thursdaysd?
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No. If it had been closed I wouldn't have gone, and I also wouldn't have cared whether it was free.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Re: rhkkmk experienceThe early morning fog at the Taj is wsorse in winter. Apparently, the of advantage of going in summer (if one can stand the heat) is the fog and crowds are less. So JJ may not experience that sunrise fog/smog at all.
Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:47 PM

Julia- you can't really see the Taj Mahal from outside (except views like Craig's from the rooms at the Amarvilas). There is a huge wall outside the complex, and the closer you get the less you can even see of the minarets. The last time I went to Agra, we arrived in the evening, and the Taj was completely closed for someone (celebrity, politician... who knows?), and the hotel said it happened without any advance notice. You don't want to get there with only one chance to see it.

Go to Jaipur first, then Agra. Delhi, Agra, and Jaipur are three points on a triangle, so it doesn't matter to which you go to first.