Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Last night in Japan (leaving from Kansai)

Last night in Japan (leaving from Kansai)

Sep 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Last night in Japan (leaving from Kansai)

This is a corrected post due to the wrong airport name in prior thread -

We're going to be on Shikoku for 4 nights through a Friday evening, and Sunday we'll be flying home out of Kansai near Osaka. We're trying to decide where to spend our last night.

Our first thought was Osaka but it doesn't seem very interesting (we're not into big & modern or nightlife; we'll have enough of that in Tokyo).

We then thought we could go back to Kyoto (we'll be there for 4 nights before Shikoku). There are fast & easy ways to get from Kyoto to Kansai International Airport, so this is high on our list.

I did have one other thought, though. That's to take the train from on Shikoku to Himeji, and instead of seeing the castle on a day trip from Kyoto, we could spend the day and evening there, and take the train from Himeji to the airport the next morning. The train trip is a little longer than from Kyoto, but we'd save travel time the day before (correct?).

What do people here think?
Sep 27th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Himeji hardly merits an overnight stay. True the castle and the gardens are impressive, but beyond that the city has little to offer (it was heavily bombed in the war and parts of the centre look run down (I was there earlier this year). If you don't want to stay in Osaka (the areas near Namba are lively and have good, reasonably-priced restaurants, plus a fast 30 min train ride to KIX by Nankai express) and don't want to return to Kyoto, Nara is another possibility, linked to airport by express bus (80 min).
Sep 27th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Alec's suggestions are good ones.

I've read about getting to Kansai airport by boat from Awaji island, but I don't know much about it. You would have two options: take JR to Naruto and then bus (I think) to someplace on Awaji. Second option would be to go via Himeji to Kobe and then on to Awaji from the north.
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Nara sounds like a great choice for us! Thanks.
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

A long-overdue follow-up on this post. I just wanted to report back that we went to Nara the morning before our flight and we had a lovely day and evening there. It's a great small city and I could even see spending a couple nights there. It was very easy to get to the Kansai airport the next day for our flight home. A belated thank-you for the suggestion.

We stayed at the Ryokan Seikan-so, which had simple traditional rooms with a view of the wonderful center garden. Bathrooms were near by.

Search this Thread