Last minute India trip - Car and driver/guide advice needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a last minute trip to India planned for April 15th. We had originally planned on going in February, but had to cancel due to my daughter's school trip. Now, we are able to go and I began to book hotels...only then realizing that many tour operators do not want to provide help if they cannot book your hotels. My error and apologies to Deepa at Delhimagic! Didn't quite understand the deal. Anyway, now we have flights and hotels, but nothing in the way of a car and driver/guide. If anyone has some suggestions for a car/driver who can do a meet and greet on April 15th in Delhi, do a delhi tour on the 16th. We fly to Varanasi on the 17th and return on the 19th. We then want to do Delhi/Jaipur/Agra/Delhi from the 19th to 24th. There are two people. Advice is appreciated! Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:34 AM

I would highly recommend Ramesh Meena at ramindiatours.com

Given the last-minute nature of your request, I don't know if he or his staff will be available.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If nothing else works, your hotel should be able to provide a driver for Delhi pick-up and tour. Again, your hotel or a Delhi travel agent should be able to provide a driver for the 19th-24th, although he wouldn't come with a forum reader's recommendation. I would suggest doing at least Delhi-Agra and probably Agra-Jaipur by train. You don't need a driver in town - Agra and Jaipur are overrun with rickshaw drivers.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 06:16 AM

you might also check with avrind at castle and king...
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Ditto the hotel to pick you up at the airport. DO NOT TAKE A CAB! You may wind up somewhere you hadn't planned to go.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM

Indianapearl, your statement, "DO NOT TAKE A CAB! You may wind up somewhere you hadn't planned to go", scared the hell out of us! We have booked a hotel in Delhi next month, the hotel is not near the airport, it's supposed to be around Delhi Railway Station. We were planning to take a taxi to the hotel when we arrive at 6:00AM. Are you suggesting that it is that dangerous in Delhi and India in general to take a cab? Please elaborate. Thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Taxis from Delhi airport are reputed to have a tendency to tell you your hotel has closed and try to take you somewhere else (where the driver will get a commission). It's safer, or at least less hassle, to have your hotel send a cab. Or you can just keep insisting you want to go to "your" hotel anyway. Saying (repeatedly) that you have a reservation often resolves this kind of problem. Taking a taxi at 6:00 am should be less of an issue than taking one at 2:00 am.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 08:26 PM

DO NOT TAKE A CAB!

Just don't. Under no circumstances. Hotel pre-arranged cab or die. failing that, pre-paid taxi from the booth INSIDE the airport. DO NOT leave the building without your transport arranged.

Trust us.

Ah-h-h-h, sweet memories of my three hour trip from the airport to the Oberoi...
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM

We have just returned from our 3-week family trip to Northern India. We had a wonderful time. Know doubt the itinerary was design by myself but the transportation was organized by this excellent guy called Ramesh Meena.
Ramesh owns his own company called India by Car and Driver - [email protected], [email protected], or +91 982 980 7074. Ramesh is from Jaipur and yet he manage to sort us a car and driver in Delhi for our Northern trip. The car arranged was an Innova with a fantastic driver called Bhupinder Singh.
During our arrival in IGIA New Delhi we were welcome with a bouquet of flowers by a guy who is a friend of Ramesh. He introduced us to our driver and briefed us about our trip.
I am so impress that even though Ramesh was unable to meet us up personally but he ensured the airport pickup. Since I was travelling with 2 of my kids, it was so hassle free to have all arrangement done up.
We had an amazing time in India, What made our trip even better was despite being busy attending to other tourist, Ramesh called us a few times to check out if we were fine and comfortable.
Ramesh is a jewel of a person, we only corresponded thru email and I have never seen him in person but he provided us with an inexpensive and excellent service.
I would certainly recommend him to all my contacts and will be definitely using his service again.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:01 AM

I have read that the new metro line is much faster and more convenient to get into Delhi than a taxi service. Has anyone had any experience with this?
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:52 AM

Acalinen, thanks for the information. We are planning to go India next month. Can you help us understand how much time you spent with the driver and car, and how much it costs you? Did you spend the entire three weeks with the driver or was it just sporadic? Did they charge you per day or did you agree on a price for the entire duration of 3 weeks? How much was it? For example, when they took you from IGIA to your hotel, did you pay the driver for that particular trip? Or if you went from Delhi to Agra, did you pay for that particular trip. In other words was every step itemized and paid for separately? The word "inexpensive" is quite relative, depending on the financial status of the individual. Your specifics, if possible, will really help us. Thank you kindly.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 06:17 AM

Dogster was the wise adviser who recommended having the hotel driver meet us at the airport in Delhi. Worked perfectly. No unwanted detours. We had a guide and driver for one day in Delhi arranged by the Delhi B & B for about $35 for a six-hour jaunt.

Hotel in Amritsar sent a driver and guide to meet us at the airport. Can't remember how much, but cheap.

We flew into Jodhpur where we met Ramesh and spent 17 days with him at about 3000 rupees/day. Wonderful person who made our trip so much better.

Here's my trip report with more detail than I'm able to remember on a Sunday morning: fodors.com/community/asia/east-meets-west-indiana-to-india.cfm
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 06:17 AM

We agreed with Ram to pay him once a week which we paid in cash.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Hi mabiasha we spend 3 weeks with car and driver and we spend 6,5 hrs. in the car and when we a Drive for next city car and driver is one of the best way to travel in India we pad INR,3200 per day no any extra for airport transfers the quote is all inclusive. (Toll taxes, parking fees, interstate taxes,
fuel charge, driver's lodging & boarding charge and 4.94% government
services taxes for your trip as described.) NO HIDDEN CHARGES
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM

Pariski, if you are on a tight budget, use the prepaid taxi booth. I havent seen the new IGIA terminal, but i assume i is in a similar place , inside the terminal but near the exit.
HOtel-sent drivers will cost more.

Yes, as Dog says, do not leave airport terminal without some sort of transport arranged.

Know too that having the hotel send a driver is NOT foolproof!! Depending on the day and/or hotel, they can be late, or some stranger who sees your name on the sign can still write your name on their placard and pretend to be the right guy!

I dont mean to scare you...just be cautious. GO and you will have a fantastic (or at least fascinating) time!!!

Dgunbug, Is the metro extension to the airport open already? if so, great news. I've heard /read nothing but good things about the new improved metro system. Hard to believe, but true apparently! (Dogster, if you see this, no doubt your eyebrows are raised quite skeptically high at this )
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at other threads on the forum and got help from Indian Panorama. Looks like it will all work out. Tks again.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 12:23 AM

If you are going with Indian Panorama, you will be in good hands!!! Faith employs fantastic long-distance drivers. The fellow who met us at the airport and took us to the waiting car was very helpful--serious but totally organized. We felt quite safe. IP has their signs in yellow at the airport exit, so it is much easier to spot in the middle of the big crowds of drivers awaiting tourists exiting the terminal.

Just make sure you are going with the right person..tricksters are omnipresent at that airport!

Lipgirl one of the post-ers here, recently traveled with Indian Panorama and, like me after two trips with them, was very happy with Faith and company.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 07:15 PM

bookmarking
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 07:48 PM

I believe the metro is up and running.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM

Yes, definately pre arrange your airport pickup or get a pre-paid taxi at the airport.

If you are wanting a driver I suggest:
In Delhi - he will also collect from the airport
Ravinder Pal 9868115548. Tell him you want the private car not the taxi.

In Rajasthan/Agra:

Kan Singh Rajawat

0091 9950 106532

0091 9314870088
[email protected] (private e-mail)
[email protected]

[email protected]

www.rajasthanvisit.co.in

www.rajasthanvisittours.com

Yes, the Metro is running and is clean and smooth, but you might be intimidated by the crowds. There is a Ladies only carriage at the front of each train but that can be as every bit hectic as the other carriages. Each carriage also has two seats for ladies only and 2 seats for the physically disabled or elderly. The passage of the train is depicted electonically over the door and the next station in led lights between the carriages as well as clear announcements in English and Hindi together wish reminders not to spit or sit on the floor.