Search

Laptop or no?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Laptop or no?

Do any of you take your laptop with you on your trips to Asia? I'm debating - I hate writing things out long-hand (my handwriting is awful and my hand tends to cramp), but I'd like to keep a good journal - so I can, of course, share all the gory details with you!
Is it easier to just use an internet cafe for 20 minutes a day maybe?
For those of you who have taken a laptop, what do you do with it during the day? Hotel safe? What if you're in a small guesthouse where there might not BE a safe?
Truth be told I don't currently HAVE a laptop, but have been thinking about getting one... and this trip seems like the perfect excuse! Your thoughts?
Karen
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once carried our iBook to the states from Japan...never again. It was one more thing to worry about. And though it seems small and light, after 24 hours of travel it is heavy and bulky. I have never even considered bringing it anywhere in Asia with us.

There are internet cafes, as well as computers in many hotels that you can use. Start an online blog, or e-mail yourself your journals.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I have a very small (three pounds) Sony laptop that I am taking to India. It also serves as a great DVD player for my 30+ hours of flying. The Bollywood movies I hear they play on the new Continental non stop are not exactly my cup of tea ;-)

I did not take a my much larger old laptop to China last year and used the hotel business center every couple of days. However, now that I have such a tiny laptop, I figure it might be nice to have it. Who knows if I will regret it, but it isn't much bigger than a journal so I think I'll be glad I have it. We have some long drives and I figure that I can type my journal while driving.

When I travel, I lock my laptop in the room safe or if there isn't one, I put it in my locked suitcase.

I'll let you know if I regreted it when I get back in January.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Boston - That sounds great. My trip's not till February, so I'll be looking forward to hearing how the laptop worked out. Actually, the Sony ultraportable is one of the ones I'mconsidering (the Vaio 340). Am also considering an Averatec - not quite as good as the Sony maybe - but quite a bit cheaper. Either way, I think an ultraportable is the way for me to go. Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:05 PM

I always carry my Dell 700m with me. It has built in Wifi, which is good for using in the lobby at my apartment hotel in BKK as they have free wireless there. I usually sit in the lobby and do emails and fodors and etc. for about 2 hours in the morning. I have my breakfast and coffee while surfing and visiting with friends in the lobby. I had a much heavier and larger laptop and YES I got tired of carrying it. With the 700m, that doesn't happen.

I just leave it in my apartment, usually in a drawer, and I don't worry about it. I don't find the safe to be that necessary.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 05:39 PM

althom1122, I have owned at least 10 laptops, but I never fell in love until the Sony 340. It is so fabulous. My staff cracks up because I keep talking about it. If you can swing the price (it is pricy), get the Sony, you will never regret it.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:40 AM

I used to, then stopped as just a hassle. However, with new lightweight ones with wifi then I would say if you can get a very light weight one then possibly. Do watch call charges though from hotels. depending on where you are going you can get local connections very cheap but most hotels still charge you a per minute call way over the real prices so do watch that, the advantage of using internet cafes also are the cheapness of them. In Thailand 40 minutes for about USD 1 is normal.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:14 AM

If you travel very much, you might want to invest in a tri-band phone at MBK in BKK. I bought a "Bangkok phone" and a SIM card and minutes on my trip there last February, and I just used it in Europe as well, the last couple of weeks. All I had to do was buy a new SIM card for Europe, and then buy calling time. I think (maybe I'm wrong) it saves me money in the long run, because hotels usually charge very heavily for L.D. calls.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 08:56 AM

I've taken my Sony Vaio with me all over the place - would agree with the earlier comments concerning the quality.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Leave the laptop at home. Using internet cafes are easy and cheap. Take the money you save by not buying one and spend it on fun things in thailand. One idea I have sometimes used is to carry a mini recorder and just talk your thoughts which you can then transcribe when you get home. But I haven't even done that in many years. Internet cafes are the way to go. You can email yourself whatever you want.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Once again Gloria is the voice of reason! Forget bringing a laptop- you are on vacation! Just go to the internet cafes if you must.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:23 AM

From my point of view, my own laptop is a better choice. The internet cafes sometimes get busy, and I would feel guilty using a computer for 45 minutes or more when others are waiting their turn. I don't just use my computer to check emails. If that were the case, I'd do the cafe option.
Carol
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:42 AM

Like Carol, I also have a Dell 700m. It fit into an in-room safe this past weekend. I am going to take it to Buenos Aires because the place I stay has in-room safes.

In Japan, the internet cafes are not always easy to find and are not cheap. But many hotels are wired and though the charges may be higher the convenience of having the web in my room is worth it.

I will take it when I return to SE Asia. The Holiday Inn Silom had one slow computer in the Exec Club and there was almost always a wait. There also were a couple on the ground floor that were busy. A few times I found it more convenient to go to a restaurant next door that had a couple of machines on the net.

The rate for using the internet on the computer(s?) at the Bangkok Marriott Resort & Spa was ridiculously expensive so I did not use it.

In Siem Reap, the rate for the Sofitel's computer was very high and the speed of it was ridiculously slow. I did use an internet cafe in SR town a couple of times. At the end of the day's tour I had the driver stop there for a half hour while I used the computers.

After those experiences, and after seeing so many hotel rooms wired for hi-speed internet, I got the laptop.

Also got a security cable which I haven't used yet. It plugs into a port that was made for that purpose. Then you loop it around something and lock it. Like a bicycle cable/lock.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM

I often use the business center at the Oriental which I'm sure charges more than anyplace else in Bangkok. But last trip after using the computers there twice a day for 10 days and sometimes for long periods of time (especially during the tsunami) my total bill was under $50. Definitely worth it for the convenience and pleasant atmosphere and in the scheme of the overall trip pennies. Could I have done it cheaper, sure. But why would I do that to save a few dollars.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:19 PM

When I vacation I do not:
1) take a laptop
2) use a cell phone
3) watch tv
4) Think about work in any way shape or form
I'm spending thousands of $$$ to relax and have fun!

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Karen, have you ever traveled with a laptop before? Remember that you have to take it out of the case each time you go through security in an airport and that it's one of those things you have to be careful with all of the time. I traveled for years with a laptop and was frankly glad to give it up! I don't want a laptop with me on vacation.

I like Bill's list. I also don't take a laptop on vaction, I don't take my cell phone, and I don't watch TV.

Only you can decide if you'll find having a laptop along a benefit or an albatross.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:41 PM

With all the shopping that we do that 10 pounds (laptop/case) can be better used to fit more stuff in the luggage for the trip back!
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:10 PM

I have a small PDA that I take places and have a plug in that creates an infrared keyboard on the table - very nifty - which I can then type on. http://www.clove.co.uk/products/prod...tElement=12936

Use that for business travel but not sure I'd bother going to Thailand - internet cafes are v cheap.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts! I'm leaning toward no. In fact, am pretty sure the answer is no. I really like to travel light and keep my stuff "under control." I think I'd fret about the laptop and wouldn't like the extra weight and trouble - even for a small one. Appreciate your input.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:19 PM

no

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -