Kyoto Ryokan (Please give advice)

Mar 14th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Kyoto Ryokan (Please give advice)

Has anyone stayed at these places? If so, please provide feedback.

Ryokan Aoiso-Inn
Ryokan Hinomoto
Ryokan Hiraiwa
Ryokan Kyoka
Ryokan Daiya

Aoiso-Inn looks the nicest but I fear it too far from the center, and buses/trains may not be available late.

I have read mixed reviews about Hiraiwa, from it being very dirty/smelly to it being good and affordable.

Yuhara got good reviews, but it may not be available for all the days I need.

Any other recommednations for Ryokan for 4000-5000 Yen a person? We dont need meals.
Mar 15th, 2005, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

anyone know about these ryokans?

any help will be appreciated

thanks!
Mar 30th, 2005, 06:12 AM

Hi, everyone:
I too am having trouble finding a nice, traditional and not too expensive ryokan in Kyoto. Any advice? Someone must have a recommendation! Kyoto has more ryokan than any other city in Japan, from what I've heard...
Apr 6th, 2005, 08:56 AM

Hi!
Please, if anyone can help out! I really can't find a ryokan to stay at in Kyoto. Doesn't someone have a suggestion?
Apr 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Hi - I've been suggesting that people try www.japaneseguesthouses.com, because they make it so easy to book accomodations. They list ryokans/inns in different price ranges, and they include pictures and guest comments for most. I think you should take a look at the site and see what appeals to you and what fits your budget. I'm staying at Matsui Honkan, which I booked through them. I don't have any feedback for you yet, but I'll be there in just a few days!!
Apr 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM
emd

Linda, you lucky gal. Have a wonderful trip!! Please report back (you too kitty) as we live for the reports (until our own next trips).
Apr 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Thanks emd! I will report back indeed. Thanks for your wonderful trip report. You'll be happy to know that I'll be going to Ohara because of you!!!

I actually leave tomorrow morning, but will be spending my first three nights at a very inexpensive, but lovely, inn in Kyoto!!

I'm so excited!
Apr 6th, 2005, 10:05 AM
emd

I recommend using lots of ziplock bags in the packing!

Don't forget though- there are no cherry blossoms in Ohara. That is exactly why it is a good place to go during this season, get away from the sakura crowd for awhile. Did you see my post on the other things that are mentioned (in Clancey's excellent Kyoto book) to see in Ohara besides the places I went? I want to be sure you saw that post. There are other neat things there.
Oh, you really are lucky, going to Ohara. Please make a wish for me as you walk that nice path and go by the waterwheel-- a wish that I can return there.
Apr 6th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Linda05

Have a good trip. Please report back. I'm leaving shortly after you on the similary itinary.

Also, please post the veggie-friendly restaurants in Kyoto too.

I already have a list of restaurants, one is near the castle and one is called Cafe Peace.
Apr 6th, 2005, 12:30 PM

emd - I printed off your entire trip report, so I'll be sure to check your Ohara comments, and I will certainly make that wish for you!

kittycatangel - I'll be sure to report back. Where did you get your list of veggie restaurants from -- from the web or your own compilation?

Thanks!
Apr 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Linda05

I use many websites plus books + references. This one (Obanzai) is macrobiotic and near the castle. My friend went and said it was good. I don't konw how strict you are but in this restaurant, you can tell them no fish & they will understand

http://www.vegdining.com/GetRestList.cfm?rgk=AS-JAP

http://www.vegetarian-restaurants.net/Asia/Japan.htm

Also, see HappyCow.net

A print out of veggie or veg-friendly restaurants is a MUST for my world travel (alont with hotel reservations!) I've had no problems with my travel, but Japan may be the most challenge, since fish extract is used for flavor and broth-based food.
Apr 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
emd

Linda: You may have printed it out after I finished the report but before I posted all the additioanl stuff from Clancey's book. So check to be sure that what you printed has the additional post I did (after the report was already finished) on 4/2/05, at 1:56 p.m.
Apr 6th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Thanks kittycatangel - I love Cafe Peace!

emd - I reprinted your report to make sure I'll have it. Off to continue packing . . . soon.
Apr 6th, 2005, 02:49 PM
emd

my deepest apologies to all the trees (from having to reprint that report)

sleep well tonight (and counting ziploc bags is not recommended)