Notices

Kyoto Imperial Palace reservations

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kyoto Imperial Palace reservations

Aloha again everyone!

E-tickets printed so I know we are really going to Kyoto in October!!

A few more questions-

I picked up a thread with a website that is available online to make reservations for tours of Kyotos' Imperial Palace. However I have tried to access the site on multiple occasions keeping in mind the time change and keep getting the same message regarding no access. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong?

Second question-
We really would like to take our teenage grandchildren to visit the Hiroshima museum. Can this be done as a day trip from Kyoto?

Third question-

We were thinking of purchasing the JR West Kansai passes? Comments or suggestions?

Mahalo.
Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
kja

Hi, northshoreauntie -

Congratulations! Kyoto is wonderful!

Before my trip, I repeatedly tried to reserve a time to see Katsura Imperial Villa (Katsura Rikyu) on-line, and could never get the system to work. I did, however, manage to make a reservation once I was in Kyoto. Katsura Rikyu was really lovely; you might consider stopping there in addition to, or instead of. the Imperial Palace itself. See:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3914.html

Yes, you can visit Hiroshima from Kyoto on a day trip. It might be a long day, but the peace park and museum would be worth it.

Hope that helps!

Old Jul 2nd, 2008, 10:43 AM

here is a link to the reservations for the Imperial Palace in Kyoto. You cannot access site between 12:00 am to 5:00am Tokyo time

http://www.kunaicho.go.jp/e17/ed17-03.html

How many times do you plan to catch a train and how many total days are you in Japan?

Aloha!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Hawaiian Traveler-

We're in Kyoto 6 days and plan on trip to and from KIX, Nara and Hiroshima.

Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 10:40 AM

Yes, definitely take a day trip to Hiroshima. A train and a cab to the museum/peace park would be the easiest for 4 people. And so worth it. A very unique and moving sight. The museum is very well done and the memorials in the park beautiful. The link below is to the city's tourist information Q&A page with lots of good information.

http://tinyurl.com/4qm5x9

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
cwn

This is what we did on our Kyoto visit. It is great day trip and very easy to do. And the kids would lve the Himeji Castle! It is a great contrast to the Kyoto Imperial Palace which we visited also.

Himeji/Hiroshima was our favorite day trip. We took a taxi to the train station for the 7:44am Shinkansen Hikari to Himeji. I bought all our tickets the day before based on my HPERDIA research. We arrived at 8:31 and walked up to the Castle. This took about 20mins. We could see the Castle the whole way so no chance to get lost! We got to the entrance gate about 5 mins before it openned. Like all things Japanese there were two men standing there, one by the gate and another by a bell with a watch. At exactely 9, one hit the bell several times as the other opened the gate! There were only two other people there so we had it all to ourselves. It is a beautiful Castle, well maintained, one of only a few that haven't been destroyed. Plus there were still some cherry blooms-I was so surprised! It took about an 1 1/2 hours to see at our own pace with an English guide booklet we got with our tickets. The Castle is huge and six stories up, but worth the climb! We walked back to the station and stopped at a covered shopping area where we got a lunch to go- there are great little places on every street almost!

We caught the 11:41 Shinkansen Nozomi for Hiroshima and ate lunch along the way. At 12:45 we walked out of Hiroshima station and caught the tram in front of the main entrance for the "A" Dome and Peace Park. It took about 20 mins to get to the park. All my husband wanted to see was the Dome. Since we had already spent time at the memorial museum in Nagasaki, we just walked around a bit. At a board member's suggestion went to the Hall of Rememberance. This Hall was worth the trip! It is an under ground building displaying the stories and pictures from people who lived through the experience. I really liked listening to the stories far better than the Museum display. But you have plenty of time for the Musuem part also.

From there we went back to the tram stop boarded it and rode to the end of the line which was the Miyajima Ferry dock (another 40 mins). We took the 10 min ferry across to the Island. Is is a very scenic island noted for its floating Torii. The Tide was just coming in at about 3:30, so we got to see the people clamming around. We wandered around the shops and then on out to the Itsukushima Shrine. We walked back across the inlet by the Torri(it is huge) and found a Okonomamiyaki shop back in the village. By this time all the day trippers were gone! This is a neat pancake like dish that the cook made right in front of us! It was great to watch and eat! We walked back to the park and Torii for me to get some pictures as the sun set over the bay behind the Torii. This was a beautiful setting and I got great pictures. The Island is peaceful this time of day and we really enjoyed it. There are other neat things to see on the Island, but my husband was tired of the Temples and much preferred the park area.

We caught the ferry back to the mainland and bought tickets on the next local train to Hiroshima Station. This all took maybe an hour. We had tickets for the 8:33 Shinkansen Nozomi, but it was only 7:15 when we got to the Station so I changed the tickets for the next Nozomi at 7:30. It was about 9 when we got back to Kyoto. It was a great day.

Have fun!
Old Jul 3rd, 2008, 03:57 PM

The way I figure it out you can't use the JR West Kansai pass because they only let you on the Limited Express or local trains from KIX to Kyoto and the pass is not good to Hiroshima

If you buy everthing seperate using the Nozomi and Haruka Express to and from KIX it will cost roughly 30260 yen per person

If you get a 8 day JR West Sanyo Area Pass you can use it on the Haruka Express to and from KIX and also the Nozomi Shinkansen from Kyoto to Hiroshima and back for 30,000 yen per person. You can't qualify for the 4 day Sanyo because you need to use it on the first and last day. Its a tossup which way to go.....up to you!

Aloha!
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 02:47 AM

JR West Sanyo Area Pass isn't valid for Kyoto to (Shin) Osaka segment. You can pay extra to travel by Shinkansen (2730-2930 yen - you can stay on the train as your pass becomes valid from Shin Osaka), or just 540 yen on New Rapid (takes 29 min) - in which case you have to change at Shin Osaka (longish walk).
Old Jul 4th, 2008, 06:11 PM

Alec is right about Kyoto with the Sanyo pass.....I guess the best pass to get would be the 7 day regular jr pass at 28300 yen per person

Aloha!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Wow- talk about confused!

It looks like a 7day regular JR pass at 28,800 is the general consensus?
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

P.S.
MAHALO cwn I've printed your page and plan on sticking to it religiously. Sounds perfect!
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM

Yes it does seem the 7 day is the way to go.

After you relax from your trip you should consider coming to the Honolulu get together in Sept. We would love to meet you and share your travel experiences. Lots of other Fodorites will be there to share their travel stories. If you have time....

http://tinyurl.com/6q8p4t

Aloha!