Kyoto day plan check

Old Jan 30th, 2020, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Kyoto day plan check

Hi all,

I am so excited to be heading to Japan in April with my husband and 2 boys (3 and 5). Unfortunately it is limited to just 11 nights due to work constraints but it is still going to be amazing! Flights are booked in and out of Nagoya (open jaw was prohibitive on my dates due to cost and schedules) and all accommodation booked.

We are fitting in Legoland, Disneyland and DisneySea and a night in an onsen resort on the Izu Peninsula so our remaining time in Kyoto and Tokyo is somewhat sparse.

For Kyoto, we have 3 nights (staying next to Tofukuji St) so 2 full days and the travel day from Tokyo at the start which could be a half day if we wanted (but heading to Legoland straight from Kyoto).

For our 2 full days, my wish list is to tackle -
Fushimi-Inari
Shorin-Ji temple for zazen meditation (Only me and the 5yo as 3yo wouldn’t sit still)
Fushimi sake district
Gion/Southern Higashiyama region, including Nishiki market, preserved/picturesque streets, maybe walk through to Kiyomizu-dera
Arashiyama for bamboo forest, monkey park, Otago nenbetsuji

maybes -
Uji, for matcha tea and Byodoin
Tojo for markets

However I keeping changing my mind about the best order! Essentially, I have decided early morning will be Fushimi inari one day and Arashiyama the other. From there I am confused. The meditation is at 1pm, I am leaning towards this after Arashiyama. From there, should we attempt to fit in Southern Higashiyama/Gion or just head to Fushimi area for sake museum and then dinner?
If we do Gion on that day, we then can go from Fushimi inari to Uji and then on to Fushimi sake region on the other day, although it is equally simple to travel to the Gion district from Fushimi inari (but we would fit in Uji).
I have more or less written off Toji markets as I can’t see where it may fit?

I should add as a bit of context Nara is intentionally excluded as my son is afraid of roaming deer (which we recently discovered at a zoo). I am also being realistic about travelling with young kids and am not therefore concerned about hitting all the temples, would prefer opportunities to be walking around and experiencing the vibe/culture of an area.

I appreciate any assistance advice or input you may have