kuranosukes great adventure to winchanburi, phetchaboon provice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got into Bangkok on Saturday nite at 1130. Normal check in at immigration, but for the first time ever, I was stopped by a customs agent as I tried to exit via the nothing to declare line. I could see it coming. As I approached the exit area, a customs agent, leaning on his elbow at the counter saw my cart with three big bags, and looked at me. Bingo, a wf thai bringing in undeclared items.

Sure enough, he started to talk to me in thai, and after a few seconds, I told him I didn’t understand what he was saying. I showed him my passport, and he asked me where I was from. Hawaii, I said, and he then let me through.

Upon exiting, I normally go topside to get a cab from the departure area(brad taught me this), however, a friend did this last month and his cab was detained by the police. So, not wanting any problems, I got a cab like everyone else. After getting in the cab, I told the driver to take me to suk soi 11, gave him 70 b for tolls, and away we went.

As we exited the airport, he put on the after burners, and we were speeding toward suk. I think the driver 1/ had a hot date waiting, 2/ was getting off his shift soon, 3/ had to take a whiz, or 4/ all of the above. I got to my hotel in under 20 minutes.

After checking in, and although tired, I was a bit wound up, so I took a stroll to the pickled liver to see maeng. sure enough, she was behind the counter, and came around to give me a big welcome hug. Nick, one of the owners also came by to say hello mate, good to see you again. The place was crowded, both inside and out, there was a big soccer and rugby match on tv.

Maeng looks good, and she said she is constantly being advised(nagged) by dr. jack to take better care of herself. Maeng said to tell carol hi.

Hi carol.

After an hour, I went back to the hotel, lights out.

On Sunday, I went to super rich to exchange my dollars. Well, its closed on Sundays, but they did have a small window open for business, long que. Fyi, the exchange rates were: siam bank at airport=34.25, siam bank at gaysorn=34.55, super rich=34.75, and vasu=34.68.

Funny story to end the day. While at the big c, I saw that the new james bond movie was playing, and the next show was at 11am. I looked at my watch, and it was just about 11(little did I realize that theres 15min of commercial), so I bought a ticket and went into the theatre. I was the only one there, so rather than look for my seat, I chose to sit close to the aisle. About a couple of minutes later, a guy stands next to me, and tells me I’m in his seat. Incredible. I stood up, apologized, looked around, and saw that he was the only other person in the theatre. I took another seat off to the side. After the movie, I saw at least another 6 patrons there. Btw, the movie had a lot of action, but I had a hard time following the story line.

As I was planning for this trip, I was unaware that I would be here during loy krathong., so it was a nice surprise when I learned that I would be here for the celebration. I’m not too sure where to observe the festivities, I was thinking about the sky bar, or the shangrila. Any reccos?
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 01:52 AM

K-this is exactly what we're looking for, a prompt report with lots of details. I can't believe that they let you slide through customs. A notorious smuggler.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 03:20 AM

For Loy Krathong - as close to the river as you can. The Shangrila would be great but expect them to put on very expensive dinners in the prime spots. It's really busy with locals down at the skytrain pier too but good to look around. All the hotels there will have special dinners. Last year we were at the Pen just for a meal as our friend is dining manager there. You can only sit inside if you want the cheap version but just come out for the rather good fireworks. We had special treats because of our friend but it would still be good. I imagine the same will happen at all the other hotels. Have fun its a really nice time to be there.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Kuranosuke,

We might be going to our condo by the river, almost on the opposite side of the Shangri La(good view of the fireworks), so email me your phone number and if we do go we would like to invite you along.

My email is [email protected]
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM

Ken
Please give Maeng my best. Tell her I'm very happy with the bag of goodies she sent home with Brad. And yes, tell her to rest and not to work so hard! Say hello to Dr Jack also, if you see him.

Your trip started off with a bang, I guess... getting stopped at the nothing to declare line. Do you think they are getting more curious about what people are carrying in? Not that I bring anything in.

How long are you in BKK? We will be there in a little over a month. I doubt you will still be in the city that long. But maybe we can connect next time.

I like your reporting live from BKK. Keep it coming!

Carol
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:37 AM

Ken,

That was one fast taxi ride - enjoyed your theories on why the driver was in such a hurry.

Thanks for the live report - looking forward to more...
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Great beginning to this trip report!

My theory on why you got stopped at customs: you're a suspicious-looking character. lol

I do love being in Bangkok for Loy Krathong. Enjoy!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM

keep it coming and make sure to include the seedy side of bkk...
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:21 AM

Stay out of trouble, Kuranosuke. I don't have time to fly over and bail you out! LOL! Happy Travels!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:48 AM

You finally got there! Hope DC was fun...

And as far as getting stopped by customs, I totally agree with Kathie. You have that smooth smuggler look about you.

Have a great time. You are missing nothing in Honolulu at the moment. No surf, and even the weather is grey.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:05 AM

After the election, all Republicans will be stopped every time they cross a border. That's why Sarah palin merely looked at Russia nd didn't go there.

Viva la Revolucion.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Ken,
Bangkok! I am in the wrong profession,lol
and remind me never to follow you when we exit through customs or any security feature for that matter. You are the agent magnet. Maybe it was all those drug convictions in the 60's,lol.

Love the live reports. What hotel are you in this time? Linda asks if your better half is with you?

Aloha!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM

Great report so far. Lucky you to be there during Loy Krathong. I would think you would want to be closer to river level than up at the Sky Bar. You should take Hanuman up on his offer.

BTW, three big bags just for you? Hmmm...what <i>was</i> in those bags? I think the customs agent may have had a right to be suspicious.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

sawadee-loha, my laptop is down, so using internet in hotel lobby, so can't write much. just to let you know that i will post again as soon as i can figure my pc problem, or go to a internet cafe. out to the museum now.

Old Nov 11th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

now at mbk internet location on the 7th fl. 40b for 60min.

just came from the bangkok art and culture centre, close to the national stadium bts, across from the tokyu dept. store entrance. excellent exhibits, and its free. title of exhibition is traces of siamese smile: art+faith+politics+love.(sounds like what andy and bob do very well. lol)

ok, now to the title of my thread. i will be going to winchanburi to celebrate the marriage of orgy and his longtime girl friend, nampeung. i have the honor and privilege of being orgys best man.

the wedding will be this sunday, in the home town of nam. it begins at 630am with a visit and meeting with the monk, wedding at 7, and the groom parade immediately thereafter. i will be marching in the parade as orgys best man, shoulder to shoulder. the reception is at 1130.(i hope we won't be marching till then).

the wedding and reception will be at the home of nams parents.

i will be leaving on saturday late morning for the four and a half hour bus ride to winchanburi. i have to remind myself to be cool friday nite as the bus will make only one stop during the trip.

after the reception, i will return to bangkok with a few of nams students, and orgy will remain behind, bonding with his new in-laws.

i think they make a wonderful couple, and i know that both orgy and nam gave alot of thought in reaching this decision to get married.

orgy is now a parttime esl teacher, and nam is a private tutor with mostly expats as her students.

i will take good notes of this memorable event, and take alot of pictures to post here, once i learn how to use the one the of photo sharing programs.

you know andy, i am one of the most honest citizens i know, so its beyond me why i get picked on, even in japan. lol.

mary w thanks for the info. i thought about going to the bamboo bar at the oriental, and walk to the terrace for the fire works, but the reservation person told me that was not would not be allow.

carol, i will pass on your mahalos to maeng when i see her next. i always have a great time there.

craig, as fast as were were going, there were a couple of suvs that past us. even the cab driver was laughing.

bob, you know very well, that ken and seedy don't mix. ahem.

kathie and lucy, just look at me, just look at me, innocent!? and don't worry guen, i won't get into trouble, not this trip. lol.

ht, when i confessed to those convictions, i was told they were deferred acceptance. so much for anzai as my attorney.

tell linda that jackie is still in the black hole of advance vacation time, so no trip for her this time. too bad, as i know she would have enjoyed attending the wedding.

i'm staying at my usual haunt, the grand business inn on soi 11. its a very nice and secure hotel, with true non-smoking rooms. the location is great at the top of soi 11, close to the bts station. everyone knows me there, and treats me very well.

kristina, yes, i had alot of things in my bags. i will post later on what they were, and how i disposed of them.

well, my time is up here, so.. gotta go take a nap so i can celebrate loy krathong properly.

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 03:50 AM

Ken

How exciting!!! Please give my best to orgy and new bride! I'm going to be anxious to read your wedding report. You know, our family was involved in a wedding almost three years ago. Our friend, Lars, (I don't know if you have met him yet) and his wife Pong got married in Bangkok. We so enjoyed all the festivities. Sounds like you'll be right in the middle of it all. Brad got to be in the parade on Lars' behalf, going to Pong's father's house. I think you will find this to be a very memorable experience.

Have a wonderful time!!! Stay in touch.

Carol
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Ken, do give my congratulations and best wishes to orgy and nam. I met them at a Bangkok gtg several years ago at the Marriott Resort and Spa (guess who organized that one). I think it's wonderful that you are to be orgy's best man! Do give us all the details!
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 05:59 AM

ken, please extend to orgy and his new wife our very best wishes for a long life together!!!

bob and karen

hope the bus ride doesn't get to you...it should be interesting...
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 05:20 AM

ttt

Ken, hope you are having a lovely time on Bangkok.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

i spent loy krathong with hanuman, his family and friends. what a fabulous time. great company, delicious food(went back for three servings), great view of the fireworks. many thanks, hanuman.

there were two gents from hawaii at the party. one was named tom, and expat businessman from manoa, and the other guy was from aiea, kamehameha grad. as we made small talk, we found out that we were both in the supply corps in the navy. so, naturally sea stories abounded. we discussed our various duty stations, and agreed on the best liberty town we visited.

as the evening went on, we talked about what he did after the left the navy. he said he returned home, and became a financial planner. hmmmmm.

he went to work for uncle harry. hmmmm. uncle harry inouye. what!! chotto mate!!

are you related to lucy(notice i did not say milton)?? yes i am miltons cousin.

so, for the past hour, i was talking to clinton inouye, miltons cousin. incredible.

gotta go now, and find a local bookie and put fifty cents on oakland.

leaving tomorrow am for the wedding. i passed on all of your good wishes to orgy. he was very happy, and said thank you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -