Krabi or Khoa Lak?

Search

Krabi or Khoa Lak?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krabi or Khoa Lak?

I am planning for a trip with our older 2 children (17+) for late March/early April to Thailand that we would like to end by spending 6 or 7 days at a beach destination. We are trying to contain costs, and I have Starwood points which would give me free rooms at either a Sheraton in Krabi or a Le Meridien in Khoa Lak. We could spend the time at either one or both properties. I also would have an option for a Hilton property in Phuket, but only for two nights. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 06:49 AM

i am doing both krabi and khao lak places with points next june...they both look quite nice, esp. K/L...

is there a hilton at phuket?

kids would like the nite life, etc in phuket i am sure...
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:44 AM

Sheraton Krabi Beach is a fabulous hotel, however it's location is a little bit 'out of the way'.

My wife and I love it here, but it's MAYBE not ideal for teenagers.

We know this hotel well and will be happy to share any info required.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:48 AM

leigh---tell us more....please
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM

If you go to the Sheraton Krabi, make sure you try the restaurant directly across the street from the resort. It's great, especially the Chili Deep Fried Fish.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Yes I had forgotten about that restaurant right opposite the main entrance. Very nice!
Now rhkkmk, I'm not sure what info you want but I'll give a brief outline of what I remember.
This is five star all the way. Extremely nice rooms. Unless things have changed, you will be better to avoid any ground floor rooms as thick vegetation restricts the view and tends to make the rooms a little dark.
Fabulous infinity swimming pool, loveley relaxing piano/cocktail bar and a great selection of restaurants.
There is a limited shuttle service into town and taxis are cheap and readilly available.
Hire a car and driver for the day and visit James Bond Island.
We don't find the hotel location a problem but some might feel it is a little too remote.
A few photos (scanned ones I'm afraid), on this link
http://www.leightravelclub.com/krabiphotos.htm
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the Sheraton in Krabi and the restaurant options. Given the relatively short time we have, maybe we will opt for a couple days in Phuket and the rest of the time (4 or 5 days)in Krabi. Since we plan on spending our first few days in Bangkok followed by a few days at the Anantara Resort Golden Triangle, we will probably welcome a relaxed ending to our trip.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM

thanks leigh
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM

YES, there is a Hilton in Phuket..It is the Hilton Phuket Arcadia Spa and resort..i stayed for about a week this may. It is pretty okay.

It is a huge property at the Karon beach area, a few resturants, many pools, big rooms, good gym, exellent and pricey Spa and a overal pretty nice hotel, but would not call it spectacular! But yes, functional and good location.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Umm... how exactly do you drive a CAR to James Bond Island? Has the ocean receded and nobody told me?

That aside, I would think trying to do both Krabi AND Khao Lak in one trip would be a bit too much. It would take the better part of a day by boat and car to get from one place to the other.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 03:32 AM

Umm.....this is how you do it MichaelBKK

Visit Phang Nga province. Traveling by road the journey takes around 1 1/2 hours before joining boats to go out into the bay. This area is very famous for its natural scenery such as the lime stone cliffs. There is also 'James Bond' island. This needle like island was used in the film 'Man with the golden gun'. The local environment may seem uninhabitable, but you'll be quite surprised how life can flourish in this area.You can also visit a local village of sea gypsies. Return to Krabi in the late afternoon.
There is also a large reclining Buddah to visit either on the way there or on the return leg. I think it is called the monkey temple.

This day trip is done from both Krabi and Phuket and most commonly using a car or mini-bus. I thought you would have known that it is not necessary for the sea to recede(there is no ocean in these parts). But then maybe, you have one of these mini helicopters that Bond himself used.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM

Oh , if you have seven days, then you COULD do both Krabi and Khoa Lak. Private transfer will cost you around 30$ per person. I have full details if required.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM

leigh...what are the details of the transfer as we will need it....thanks..

bob
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM

Here you are Bob, more than one satisfactory experience with this outfit.
Give me a few hours and I may be able to give you a contact name.

http://www.asiantrails.net/index.cfm...mp;trip_id=690
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the great information. I might have to go back to the drawing board again - the private transportation between the two looks afordable. I will have to do a bit more reading on Khoa Lak, since I am not as familiar with that area. I would also have to probably give up the time in Phuket to do both Krabi and Khoa Lak.