Search

Kowloon or Hong Kong Island

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kowloon or Hong Kong Island

Hi all,

I will be traveling to Hong Kong for a trade show at the end of April. The show itself will be at the convention center on Hong Kong Island. I've been quoted better hotel rates on Kowloon so I am wondering if it is fairly painless to get from Kowloon to Hong Kong Island, or whether I should pay the extra money to stay in a hotel on Hong Kong Island. Thanks for any input.

Mike
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:07 AM

It is a joy to get from Kowloon to H.K. Island if you can travel on the Star Ferry (at least it is as a tourist when you can walk from the hotel to the ferry and the weather is nice).
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Lots of people use Star Ferry's Tsimshatsui-Wanchai route. Frequent service. Or the Convention Center is about a 10-minute walk through covered walkway from the Wan Chai MTR, which is two stops from Tsimshatsui MTR, but requires a switch in Admiralty. The MTR (subway) costs more, and can be crowded during rush hour.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:41 AM

i find kowloon far more interesting ...your down time would be well spent in that area....HK is very easy to get around in...
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Another vote for Kowloon. We're just back from 5 days in HK. Stayed at Booth Lodge (http://boothlodge.salvation.org.hk)in Kowloon, just off Nathan Road and across the road from MTR station Yau Ma Tei, so easy acces to the Island and the rest of the city. We never had to wait more than 2 min for a train.
We paid HK$ 540 a night, for which you get basic but adequate accommodation and breakfast.
If it's of interest to you, our trip report is on http://marksmalley.blogspot.com/.