Reload this Page >

korean airlines

Search

korean airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 05:39 PM
df

korean airlines

Anyone have experience or info about travel on korean airlines? Read a report that Canada was considering restrictions on landing privileges and Delta eliminated codeshare. Any safety issues here?

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 08:09 PM
Rich

I'm a Canadian living in Korea, and a lot of what you hear is overblown. Nevertheless, there was a time when many people, Koreans included, were a bit worried about the safety---or lack of it---on KAL. These days, they seem to have cleaned up their act, in large part because they were forced to. To tell you the truth, I haven't heard any Korean Air "horror stories" in quite awhile. In fact, I'm flying on KAL next month, so obviously my confidence in that airline is higher than it was before (when I wouldn't think about getting on a KAL flight). <BR>You have a right to be concerned, but don't worry about it. They just joined an alliance (I think it's called Oneworld) with Air France, DELTA and some other airline, and apparently they had to improve their standards to qualify. So I think you're alright.

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Meg

We flew on KAL to and from Hong Kong and back to L.A. this past May. The flight was comfortable and the food was decent. On our return trip, our flight was delayed 3 hours making us miss our connection in L.A. When our Chinese guide found out our flight was delayed, he told us that we should never fly on a Korean carrier b/c Korean men are not disciplined - so, apparently, delays are not uncommon. We have flown Thai Air in the past and think it is nicer than KAL, but KAL offered the best fare. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 11:09 PM
margaret

What you may have heard may not be true however, you should be cautious when you are choosing airlines. I am a Korean person who refuse to fly Korean air because of their track record. Then again, I only fly Singapore airlines, Cathay Pacific, British airlines who have the best pilots and good records. Korean airlines I would have to say is okay. Their service beats any American airlines anyday since many American airline stewardess are rude. Most Asian airlines are much better with the service. Their delaying incidents are not any worse that Northwest which we call Northworst. If you are really concerned with Korean air, I would suggest if you can take Asiana airline which I think is slightly better or try Sing or Cathay if they serve Korea from where you are living. <BR>However, do not worry too much. Korean air is supposed getting better after one accident in Guam(?) and received the warning from the Korean governemt and trying to do major facelift. Maybe it has improved a bit. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 11:39 AM
vngala

I flew Korean Airlines in December 99; I was pleasantly surprised. The service was great, and the food was wonderful. I flew from LA to Jakarta with a stopover in Seoul- the return flight was 2 hours late leaving Jakarta, but that was good because I flew into Jakarta on Garuda which was 4 hours late- so it worked out.