Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Koh Samui or Langkawi? Which is better for a 5 day vacation?

Jul 14th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Kelly

We are going with a group of friends to Thailand. We have heard great things about the well-developed Koh Samui. But now we have heard a couple of people suggest Langkawi, Malaysia instead. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Jul 14th, 1999, 10:05 AM
susan

dear kelly,

my husband and i have been to both places, and we MUCH prefer koh samui, esp if you are going with a group of friends. we are pretty boring when it comes to partying and all that, but even we were bored in langkawi. we love to just sit at a hotel and laze about all day at the pool, but there were no alternatives AT ALL in langkawi. if you really want to do nothing but relax, then i suggest the radisson at tang jung rhu. not sure of the spelling- we didn't stay there but visited and it's beautiful.

the food, restaurants, and sights are just so much better in koh samui. also great for renting scooters and going all around the island. it's definitely more commercialized, but we didn't mind it at all. and don't forget, langkawi is in malaysia which is very muslim and therefore a lot of the restaurants don't serve alcohol. and i thought the food was so boring compared to thai food. i know some of the other malaysian islands have great food as they are more chinese inspired, but langkawi was not one of those.

good luck.

Jul 15th, 1999, 05:58 AM
Kelly

Susan,

Thank you for responding to my inquiry about Koh Samui vs. langkawi. I hope
you don't mind me writing to you. Where did you stay when you were in Koh
Samui? We are excited about our trip, but are kind of going blind. We have
friends from the US living in Bangkok, who have planned the trip to
Langkawi, while we researched and thought Koh Samui looked like a great
trip.

We have thought about taking scuba lessons for certification, but it doesn't
look like Langkawi has much of that readily available.

Any other info about places to stay, to see, to go to, and to do would be so
helpful!

Thanks again,

Kelly

Jul 15th, 1999, 09:24 AM
susan

if this is your first visit to an asian tropical island, i would choose either bali or somewhere in thailand-- like phuket or samui. since you'll already be in thailand, samui is really convenient. the food is so cheap and so amazing, but don't expect crystal blue waters like in jamaica or hawaii. it's clean, but not as clean.

it's been a few years, and i get the names of all the hotels mixed up, but i'm almost sure we stayed at the blue lagoon. it's a large resort-y kind of hotel on the slightly more expensive side. we went with another couple who decided to go budget but the budget place sucked so they moved to our place. a couple years later, we had other friends try another cheaper place, but it didn't do either and they also ended up moving to the blue lagoon- it seems a safe and nice bet. i really liked the hotel. they have a baby elephant you can get on and take pictures with too- it's really hokey, but it makes a great picture.

you have to rent scooters and go around the beautiful island. go see the man and woman rocks.

and the only restaurant i remember in bangkok was condoms and cabbages. i liked it a lot.

have fun.