Search

Koh Samui

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koh Samui

Hi,
Does anyone have any suggestions as to where we could find a small town on Koh Samui similar to Haad Yao or Haad Thong Nai Pan on Koh Phangan.
We've looked at Choeng Mon, Mae Nam, Bophut and the much larger Chaweng and Lamai but to be honest they're all pretty ugly places. It seems the very busy ring road dominates the smaller beaches whilst Lamai and Chaweng have there own very built up side roads.
Girlfriend has a job here so we have to stay but transport not a problem. So far really disapointed with Samui can anyone change our mind???

Cheers
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 03:18 AM

A lot of people have misconception about Samui IMO. Many people think it's a tropical island with clear clean water, corals with abundant sea life etc. To me it's a tropical island with one good beach, no visible coral, little sea life and IMO it became famous with the backpackers crowd who were seeking a destination with little law enforcement and cheap everything. Perhaps if you could have visited Koh Samui in the during the 80s you might have enjoyed it more.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:02 AM

I'm not familiar with too many towns outside of Chaweng, where I regrettably stayed this past January (there are so many quaint towns around the island). However, I wanted to give a tip: hike to the top of Na Muang Waterfall! If you are outdoorsy and fit, hike to waterfall #2 at the very top. There's a cool pool to take a dip and the most beautiful view of Koh Samui you can imagine. Best of all, it is surprisingly uncrowded! Just hold on tight to the rope because you could get washed over waterfall #1 on your way (apparently there are very low safety standards in Thailand).
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:48 AM

joel in germany - "Towns" in Samui are more like villages. I'm very sad to hear that the Thai safety standards are not up to your expectation. I for one think that the Thai taxpayers' money is better spent elsewhere than on top of a waterfall in Koh Samui. You can always write to the Tourism authority of Thailand or perhaps raise the money in your home town and build us one!
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM

The money doesn't come from Thai taxpayers, it comes from the fee you pay to climb the waterfall (about $5 if I remember correctly). Considering tourism is a huge source of revenue for Samui, it would pay dividents to invest in safety. If tourists feel safe, they'll come; if not, they will vacation elsewhere.

Point being: Hold on to the rope tight, because if you lose your grip you're dead as a door nail.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:37 AM

joel in germany - unless the waterfall is in a Thai national park there are no "fee" to climb it. Even if it's in a national park the fee will be for entrance into a national park itself not to climb a fall. I think you were scammed.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Read under "Remarks": http://www.kosamui.com/attractions/n...-waterfall.htm