klong tour Question.

Search

klong tour Question.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
klong tour Question.

I am interested in taking the klong tour, from what I have read it takes about 2-3 hours. I'd like it include Wat Arun. From what I have read the Wat closes at 5:30pm. Does the 2-3 hours include a specific amount of time at the Wat? Is it the last stop? I guess the closer to when the Wat closes the better, the sun setting. I quess I'm a little confused on how the tour works.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:36 PM

My experience has been such that the tour is really geared to your interests and timing. You will most likely be the only one/s on the longtail boat that you hire for your tour. If you want to include a stop at wat Arun you will arrange that with your driver. It is also nice to have a guide who can speak some English. The driver usually just drives and does not commentate (or speak English).
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Tour companies offer a guided klong tour that usually includes Wat Arun, the Royal Barge Museum, and some time in a klong. We did one of these our first day on our first trip to Bangkok, and it was a huge disappointment. The guide rushed us through Wat Arun, the klongs were neat but the boat went way too fast and wouldn't slow down, and then the guide told us it was too late for the barge museum. When we got back the hotel (Peninsula), I talked to the concierge and told him about our experience and asked if it could be done on our own easily. Yes, he said, and we decided to give that a go the next day. Within a few minutes of getting back to our room, we had a message of apology, as well as a complete refund on the tour.

The next day, we did a klong tour with just a boat gotten from the pier. We negotiated the cost and time, and though I forget how much as it was years ago, I do remember it turned out to be much, much less than the "official" tour. We also enjoyed it much more, having told the boat man that we wanted to see small klongs and get away from the main tourist path. It was lovely.

The boat driver doesn't really talk to you...actually, it's quite impossible to talk to anyone as the motor is loud. And we found having a guide was a nightmare. Our boat man (the second one) was attentive to hand signals, like slow down, and asked us, with hand signals, if we were intereseted in seeing "over there."

Like Carol says, you will negotiate with the boat man to take you to Wat Arun when you like. I'd say if you wanted a guide, to arrange it on your own and skip the brochure tours.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 07:55 PM

you could start at wat arun thus avoiding the time issue???

i would end there and dismiss the boat from there and get back on my own
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:00 AM

I've probably taken 3-4 klong tours over the years. We arranged them at the pier each time, no pre-packaged plan at all. We made a couple of stops along the way, stopping when and where we wanted to do so. A tour arranged at the pier is so much better than a packaged one that has scheduled stops, in my opinion. Having someone along who speaks your language will help you appreciate what you are seeing and can answer questions you might have. We've had Thai friends take us on klong tours as well as one English speaking guide one time. All were very special memories.

Life along the klongs is very interesting, well worth taking the time to do it.

Carol